BF, spitup and food intolerance?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 15th, 2010, 09:57 AM
~Constance~
How do you know if a breastfed baby has an intolerance to the foods mommy eats?
My other two kiddos never spitup, just dribbled a bit. I ate anything and everything I wanted to with no problems for them.
Fairfax has has 4 huge spitups over the last three days, which allthe experts say is normal. But it is strange to me. It's thick, curdled and mucousy and comes up immediately after a feeding.
I'm eliminating dairy for a few days to see if that helps. Most sources say dairy is the main culprit for reflux. I'm concerned about reflux because she also has difficulty burping and gets hiccups at least 4 times a day.
I'm not worried from a weight gaining perspective. It's just a nuisance of messes right now.
Any thoughts on reflux would be helpful to me!
September 15th, 2010, 10:02 AM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
2 of my kids did poorly when I ate dairy. It's a pain cutting it out. Before then, I never realized how much dairy there is in everything! Anyway, they just always acted like they were in pain, had trouble sleeping, extremely gassy, etc.

September 15th, 2010, 10:20 AM
~Constance~
Did you eliminate everything, even butter in baked goods?
September 15th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My boys only seemed to have issues with strong flavors like garlic, onion, chocolate and occasionally spaghetti sauce-which were all heartburn triggers for me while pregnant with them. They never spit up really, just got really gassy after I ate it.

I hope you can figure out something that isn't too hard to manage.
September 15th, 2010, 10:31 AM
pbcups10's Avatar Super Mommy
Ricky spit-up and cried a lot and eventually they diagosed him with acid reflux and put him on zantac around 4 months or so. Before that I had completely eliminated dairy from my diet to see how it would impact things and it didn't really do much. My entire diet was healthy and bland. I dreaded giving him medicine so early but it was the only thing that helped and I couldn't stand to see him in pain anymore. One big sign of reflux was a lot of back arching after he ate.

September 15th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Frangipani's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm trying to cut out dairy right now too b/c DS is sooo gassy and seems like he's hurting! I miss my cereal in the morning though. He doesn't have too much spit up though, just a little when he eats for a long time on both breasts.
September 15th, 2010, 02:15 PM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
Send a message via AIM to mt23hc
I don't BF anymore but Cohen's reflux was the same with breast milk and formula. Cohen is on zantac and prevacid for his acid reflux but there is really nothing they can do to cure the vomiting. Those meds just manage the discomfort of the acid.
September 15th, 2010, 05:11 PM
The Heather's Avatar Jedi Master of Piffleness
Chase has been spitting up after every feeding and almost always gets the hiccups. We spoke with ur pedi about it and right now we are just monitoring it. My DD had the same issues and we were able to monitor it without medication. Hopefully we can do the same this time, but it does seem to bother Chase more than it did Tenli.

September 15th, 2010, 06:03 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DS had reflux really bad - he would throw up almost an entire bottle - it wasn't from anything i ate tho...my ped perscribed some meds for him and it really helped. not sure if that's whats going on - but thats what i've been thro before.
September 15th, 2010, 06:25 PM
erinelizabeth83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm going through the exact same thing right now. A little before Lilly hit the 2 week mark she started spitting up a lot, having lots of gas and just seeming really uncomfortable. Her doc put her on prevacid but her spitting up just got worse. The last night she was on it she spit up between 15-20 times! She doesn't spit up more than a teaspoon usually but it often comes out her nose which I'm sure really hurts.

I've been dairy free for a few days now and she seems to be spitting up less. I'm really hoping that if it is dairy that's bothering her it's just an intolerance and not an allergy since my DS is severely allergic to milk. It isn't easy going dairy free but it's totally worth it to me to be able to BF my baby.

I would recommend going completely dairy free at first. Read labels and if something contains any dairy at all don't eat it. Then if she seems to get better you can try to reintroduce things with small amount of dairy and see if she can tolerate it.

Keep in mind it can take up to 3 weeks for all dairy to get out of your body as well as your baby's. Don't give up after a week if she is still having issues. With Eli I gave up dairy for a week and he was still having issues so I assumed it wasn't that only to find out at 4 months of age that he is very severely allergic to dairy. I wish I had known that with Eli because it could have spared him from months of agony.

Last edited by erinelizabeth83; September 15th, 2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: typo

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search