Outraged! Am I overreacting??

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 15th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Super Mommy
Ladies, would you be upset about this??

I went to my 38 week appointment today and was told that the doctor I typically see was oncall at the hospital and that I would be seen by one of the other docs. No big deal, EXCEPT, I've never even heard of this other doctor. A little background, the practice consists of 3 docs, two of whom I've seen regularly and one whom I've seen less frequently. But today, all of sudden a new doctor sees me? Where did she come from?? Plus, she tells me there is yet ANOTHER doctor in the practice as well. I have been at this office for the past 9.5 months, all of the office signs have 3 docs, business cards 3 docs, I've never seen these other two, never seen them in the hallways, and my docs never mentioned them, or else I would have certainly made appointments with them. Now, I am really uncomfortable with the idea of some random person delivering my first child! I have no doubt that these other doctors are competent but I have a relationship with the regular docs, isn't that the point? Otherwise I could just go to some random hospital and just show up when my water breaks. I feel incredibly blindsided by my doctors and they have lost a good deal of my confidence and trust. Am I overreacting or would you be upset too?

P.S. I asked and the docs are not new! I tried to make my next appointment with the one I still haven't met, but was unable to. Why are they springing this on me at 38 weeks??

Ahhh, thanks for letting me vent....
Joyfully expecting #2 in January!

September 15th, 2010, 02:23 PM
ardisbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OH i would be upset too! I'm actually dealing with something similar. The birth center I go to has a student midwife that just started. She has now seen me for my last two appointments, at 37 weeks I was okay with it but when she came to get me from the waiting room today I was a little annoyed. There are only two midwifes there and part of the appeal is supposed to be the personal attention and relationship you have with the staff. I understand the importance of training but this is a huge deal to me and I want to be comfortable and feel confident in my provider-if she ends up caring for me when I'm in labor I think I will have to say something. This is my first too and I really need a confident experienced provider to make me feel at ease!
So-I feel ya girl, I think we need to make our voices heard!

September 15th, 2010, 02:43 PM
mothra's Avatar Martha
I would be upset too, this was part of the reason why I called off my VBAC and went back to the hospital I started at, with the midwife and doctors that I know and trust. The other place had me meeting someone new at every appointment and it made me REALLY uncomfortable not knowing who the heck was going to be there on the big day, and not knowing anything about any of them. It's really important to me to have a relationship with the person who delivers my baby and I don't blame you for feeling the same, it's a very personal thing. If I were you I'd bring it up at your next appt...don't be afraid to be like "look, I don't know who you are...why am I just finding out about the possibility of someone other than my normal doc delivering my baby?" Find out the deal, express your discomfort. Maybe they just want you to at least meet all the OBs in the practice on the off-chance that on the big day your regular guy isn't available. But still, they should have done that a while ago. I think sometimes the "system" forgets about how personal of an experience this is and should be treated. Good luck!

September 15th, 2010, 02:43 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Did you ask the doctor these questions today? Maybe they are new doctors because the practice is expanding? Or maybe they are P.A.'s or doctor's who work in the practice but don't deliver babies, but step in to help out with the patient load at the office if needed? I know my practice has either three doctors who rotate who is on call or a midwife (but the midwife only takes a small number or patients, and if she is already at a birth the doctors step in). However, they also have a P.A. and another doctor who does...I don't know what but some other type of women's health related care. Last week, when my midwife was out of town and I had to go in, I saw the P.A. They'll do basic office visits (especially if it's just the quick check type visits) for OB patients, but they won't be there to deliver babies.

Hopefully something like that is the case with your office, too! Although, either way, expanding practice or non-OB doctors, they really should have explained it to you at your appointment! Or well ahead of time! I'd call the office and ask about it and see if there really is a chance that these unknown people may be there when you give birth. If there is a chance, I'd be really mad, too!! But hopefully one of the doctor's you are comfortable with are there when you go into labor!

September 15th, 2010, 02:46 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry hun! I'd be upset - i'd want to feel like i knew the person who would be delivering me and how they practice.
September 15th, 2010, 02:52 PM
dani.'s Avatar [ missing my soldier ]
I would be upset, too. I didn't know the OB that delivered my DD & I was not happy with her during delivery. I saw a few other OB's that day & they were great.

With this delivery, I ended up having an emergency c-section (the day before my scheduled c-sec) & I almost had a different OB & I was okay with that because I trusted my OB & knew he wouldn't work with anyone he didn't respect...but, luckily, my OB switched his schedule around and was able to do the delivery.

mommy to
dakota [05.03.06] & dash [08.24.10]

September 15th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I guess it would depend on how things were presented to you at the beginning of the pregnancy-were you told that it could be any of the docs or that it would be a specific doc at the birth?

My practice has 5 docs and whoever is on call is who will deliver the baby. They also have several NPs that I have seen throughout the pregnancy.
September 15th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am in a sorta similar boat. My doc is one of about 7 docs. I have never seen any other doc in the office, nor do I know if they are even male or female. My doc is not on call this weekend and if i go into labor, I will have some random (i say that bc i don't know them from the receptionist at the front lobby) deliver my first baby. I knew this was always a possiblity but now that i am faced with the reality of it...im just hoping she either comes between now and friday or waits til monday...I love my doc and i want her!!

Saw a beautiful little heartbeat 1/28/10
Heard a Beautiful little heartbeat 3/3/2010
Saw a Beautiful Little GIRL 4/5/2010!!!!
Held my beautiful Little GIRL 9/24/2010

September 15th, 2010, 03:17 PM
amymgem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Almost the exact same thing happened to me at my OB practice. At my 39 week appt, I was asking one of my 3 docs about who would be on call that week at the hospital and she mentioned a new doc that I had never met, nor ever heard of. She assured me that this new doc was very nice, but that if I did happen to go into labor, I could ask this new doc to call my other doc and she would try to make it since I had never even met this other doc. Well, that's exactly what happened and the doc I was happiest and most familiar with could not make it. To make a long story short, the one doc at my practice that I had never met ended up being the one to deliver my baby. I could have been upset but...I fell in love with this doctor! She was perfect-I ended up liking her much more than any of the other 3 at the practice. She was very positive, friendly, warm, and she took great care of us. I look back on my experience and am so happy things turned out this way, otherwise I'm not sure I would have had the birth I wanted.

Not sure if things will turn out this way for you, but hopefully this is something for you to think about. I'm a firm believer that things always end up the way they are supposed to even if it's hard to know what the reason is right now. Maybe you'll have the same outcome? I wish you all the best! And either way, don't forget that you should focus on having a healthy delivery right now, no matter who handles the delivery-in other words, try not to stress!
September 15th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks ladies, you always make me feel better!!!
Joyfully expecting #2 in January!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search