Breastfeeding ?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 15th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
How long do you feed the baby at each feeding and how long in between? Iris nursed a lil over an hour and the nurse got pissy with me & said it was too long.
September 15th, 2010, 05:10 PM
MotherFrog's Avatar lost in la la land
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadencesmommy07 View Post
How long do you feed the baby at each feeding and how long in between? Iris nursed a lil over an hour and the nurse got pissy with me & said it was too long.
I'd tell the nurse to stuff it, there is no set time limit, your baby was content at the boob, and it's helping bring your milk in. Would she rather deal with a frustrated mommy and a screaming baby?

I used to let the kids nurse until they were satisfied, fell asleep, or whatever and 2-3 hours later we were at it again. I don't think I ever really watched the clock when it came to nursing. As long they they were happy, I was happy.

If Iris wants to nurse, let her nurse.

September 15th, 2010, 05:17 PM
The Heather's Avatar Jedi Master of Piffleness
I don't think there is a limit as long as they are eating enough to be satisfied and gaining weight.

September 15th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tenli's Mom~ View Post
I don't think there is a limit as long as they are eating enough to be satisfied and gaining weight.
That's what I thought..Ugh! I leave in the morning so I am just going to let her do her thing and ignore the nurse. She really pissed me off. My little burrito (swaddled) is sleeping now so as soon as she wakes up I will make sure she eats.
September 15th, 2010, 05:26 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
i don;t think it is bad to let her nurse a long time if she is gaining weight.... when gavin was losing so much they actually limited his time at the boob cus he was using more calories then he took in.... he got 15 mins per side then i had to finger force feed him... but unless there is a reason to limit her BFing i would let her go for as long as she wants!!! enjoy the cuddle time!!
September 15th, 2010, 06:10 PM
erinelizabeth83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would think it's a good thing for her to be nursing like that. It will help your milk come in. I always let them nurse as long as they want. With Eli he nursed non-stop. I felt like nursing was a full time job in the beginning because it was all I did all day long.

Lilly on the other hand only likes to nurse for a few minutes and then she's done. She doesn't seem to like to nurse for comfort like Eli did. SHe only nurses when she's hungry and as soon as she's had her fill she's done.

Every baby is differant but as long as they gain weight I don't think it matters and dispite the fact that Lilly only nurses for a few minutes and Eli nursed for hours both my babies gained a whole pound in the first 2 weeks so it doesn't seem to make a differance how long they nurse.

September 15th, 2010, 06:20 PM
TanyaMM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
He normally nurses for about 15 mins per side and every 2 - 3 hrs with a 4 hr stretch at night.
September 15th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was doing 1 hour or more before milk came in. Now it is 15-20 min each side. My nurse has the same opinion as yours. Milan usually lasts 3 hours before getting hungry.

Thanks Claire1979 for my awesome siggy.
September 15th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Wifey2Jordan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Usually we nurse about 10-15 minutes on each side, sometimes less. However I don't watch the clock, he does his thing, and when he's done we stop. Today he's been super gassy and fussy, so he's been comfort nursing alot, I feel like i've been nursing non stop all day! I would ignore the nurse if I were you, hopefully shift change is soon.
September 15th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Meggie26's Avatar Megan
Send a message via MSN to Meggie26
Shes doing just fine. Let her nurse for as long as she feels necessary.

September 15th, 2010, 09:50 PM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
Cambria Nursed for an hour every other hour!! It drove me nut's but thats how she wanted it. This LO nurses every 2-3 hours during the day for 20 mins max and goes anywhere from 4-6 hours at night. But he has been comfort nursing ALL day so Im pretty sore from that, lol!
September 15th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We leave tomorrow so I will figure out how she wants to eat when we get home! Evil nurse is gone fortunately..I will let Iris bf at her own pace. I love my little girl and just can't wait to be home with her
September 15th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Brookem's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadencesmommy07 View Post
Lurking from May Playroom...

I just wanted to add my experience since BF'ing was the harderst and most rewarding things I have ever defeated. For Violet and I it was hard in the beginning. Now it's cake.

My Pedi didn't want me feeding for that long on one breast because there is the fear of extra cracking/blistering and thus, more pain. He was concerned about Mastitis.

That being said, I did whatever I could and if it took an hour...then it took an hour! And trust me, we did it a lot

Happy wife, proud mom and aspiring Lactation Consultant.

September 16th, 2010, 04:54 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinelizabeth83 View Post

Lilly on the other hand only likes to nurse for a few minutes and then she's done. She doesn't seem to like to nurse for comfort like Eli did. SHe only nurses when she's hungry and as soon as she's had her fill she's done.

Every baby is differant but as long as they gain weight I don't think it matters and dispite the fact that Lilly only nurses for a few minutes and Eli nursed for hours both my babies gained a whole pound in the first 2 weeks so it doesn't seem to make a differance how long they nurse.
Not to take over the thread, but thanks for posting this! Betsy has yet to nurse beyond 22 minutes (and that's using both sides). I've been so worried that we're doing something wrong, but it's comforting to know that other babies are like her. At 6 days old, she had regained all of the weight she had lost right after birth so I know she's eating enough. But still......it makes me feel like I'm still doing something wrong when I see that other babies eat for 20 minutes on each side.
September 16th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdaiwa24 View Post
Not to take over the thread, but thanks for posting this! Betsy has yet to nurse beyond 22 minutes (and that's using both sides). I've been so worried that we're doing something wrong, but it's comforting to know that other babies are like her. At 6 days old, she had regained all of the weight she had lost right after birth so I know she's eating enough. But still......it makes me feel like I'm still doing something wrong when I see that other babies eat for 20 minutes on each side.
Iris will eat for awhile sometimes and others not..She did only eat for a little over 20 mins one feeding and she was done. It just depends I guess

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search