Nursing questions

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2010, 07:46 AM
sassysarah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry if these have been asked before but I haven't been able to get online too much the last week. I nursed my son for about 6 weeks but it never went well and he got formula from the beginning as well as breastmilk. This time things are going so much better but I have a few questions.

Do you nurse on both sides or just one each feeding?

If you nurse on both sides how long do you nurse on side one before switching over to the other side?

I've never felt my milk let down should I be worried it's not happening? I assume I'm am letting down and I just don't feel it because Rachel has plenty of wet and dirty diapers everyday.

Does your little one cluster feed? Rachel likes to eat non stop in the middle of the night and it's really wearing me out. Last night she seriously wanted to eat from midnight to 4 AM. We had a few breaks in there but not many.

Thanks!

September 16th, 2010, 07:52 AM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
i am new at this... my first son couldn;t bf so i am a second time mom learning too!

i nurse one side til he stops or goes to sleep then i change his diaper and offer the other side but he almost never takes the other side right away sometime 10 mins later when he has finally gotten out all his burps and farts out he will do a little on the other side.

then i start on the second side the next time

i don't really feel a let down either but i know that he is drinking cus of his diapers ( better he wasn't getting milk and his weight showed it but now he is gaining so he must be drinking... and when he pukes it is milk)

sometimes gavin will eat more often in the evening but not everyday so cluster feeding is hit or miss for us

we don't really have a schedule yet... i am not good at getting my kids on schdules

good luck!

Last edited by irish luck; September 16th, 2010 at 07:56 AM.
September 16th, 2010, 08:33 AM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
I BF DD and had the worst time. This time around It's much better. I did feel the let down with her but haven't with Baylen. But I Can see how much more milk He's getting then my daughter did. I nurse him on 1 side and then when it's time for him to eat again ( usually every 2 hours during the day ) Ill switch sides.
September 16th, 2010, 09:22 AM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I nurse on both sides each feeding. Or at least I try to. Sometimes she is too tired for the other breast. Usually about 15 minutes on each side, unless she decides she wants to be done sooner. Also, don't worry about not feeling your milk let down. If she is having lots of wet and poopy diapers then she is getting enough. You should be able to hear her swallowing while she's nursing.
Rayne does not cluster feed at all, thankfully. But I do wish she would nurse more often. I am constantly having to wake her because she just likes to sleep so much.

September 16th, 2010, 10:32 AM
The Heather's Avatar Jedi Master of Piffleness
Do you nurse on both sides or just one each feeding? I just nurse on one side each feeding. The lactation consultants that I have seen said to try to only nurse on one side until it empties because that way the baby gets the hind milk which is higher in fat.

If you nurse on both sides how long do you nurse on side one before switching over to the other side? N/A

I've never felt my milk let down should I be worried it's not happening? I assume I'm am letting down and I just don't feel it because Rachel has plenty of wet and dirty diapers everyday. I do feel my milk let down, but many people do not, so don't worry

Does your little one cluster feed? Rachel likes to eat non stop in the middle of the night and it's really wearing me out. Last night she seriously wanted to eat from midnight to 4 AM. We had a few breaks in there but not many. Yes and unfortunately it has been from about 4 am until 7 am. I wish I could push it back a couple of hours!

September 16th, 2010, 11:49 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Babies have these growth spurts at certain ages, and I think we're due for one, so cluster feeding can be expected.

I am like the others, in that I provide one side, he drinks til he's got the milk-drunk happy face, usually 10-15 min., then I burp him and after he's done with all the digestive settlement (another 5 or so min), he'll take the other side for just a couple min (til sleep kicks in, maybe 5 min max)... then I switch sides for the next feeding.

He has had a couple bouts of cluster feeding, but fortunately for me, they've been around 8p for an hour or so...

I don't always feel the letdown, but I know he's eating plenty because of his weight gain, his diaper count and the fact that he spits up and has milk drooling out of his mouth when he hits that sleepy happy milk state.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
September 16th, 2010, 11:57 AM
-Trish-'s Avatar Mom to 3boys & a Princess
Elaina usually will nurse a good 10-15 mins before needing burped and then she'll often take the same breast back for another 5-10 mins. Gets sleepy and doesn't want the other breast so we also change her during this time and then she'll usually take the second breast. Her awake time seems to be between 9pm-12am...can't get her to go sleep for nothing...she just wants to cluster feed. I hope that changes soon because we're getting worn out lol

I am using a breast saver for the breast I'm not nursing from first because I tend to leak, leak, leak the whole time she is nursing from the other. I collected well over 1oz in drips from one breast, during just 1 feeding...I'm not pumping yet so I'll save up this "drip" milk and freeze it once I have about 4oz. a bag. The breast saver is pretty neat, large, but I'm only using it at home and it saves my clothes from getting drenched and all that milk isn't going to waste.

Thank you so much Alethia for my GORGEOUS siggy!!

September 16th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Based on my other kiddo-he typically only nursed on 1 side per feeding.

I felt let down for the first few weeks, but after that I didn't.

He would cluster feed from about 6-8 pm (thankfully that worked out with hubby being home), then would nurse 1 more good time before bed around 10 and then would sleep until 4ish. Although it meant I was stuck to the chair for most of the evening, it also meant I got a decent stretch of sleep, so it was worth it!
September 16th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Daphinae's Avatar Sande
I'd be glad to not feel let down once in a while!! It's like having lava coursing through my chest trying to find a way out. Not pleasant!! Very painful for me, but it was with my first son too.

September 16th, 2010, 02:30 PM
amymgem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I nurse one side during each feeding as well, mostly because Wren doesn't eat all that much when she nurses (max 20 minutes, but usually more like 10-15 minutes). I've also heard that you want to offer up only one breast because they need to get the fatty hind milk which they don't get to right away.

I've heard that lots of women don't feel the let down, so I wouldn't worry about that at all.

I don't have issues with cluster feeding. We are pretty much on a 2-3 1/2 hour schedule, although sometimes she surprises me!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search