babies and doggies

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2010, 02:12 PM
ardisbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For those that have had your babies and especially first timers;

How are your pets reacting? I have a lil yorkie/maltese whose world revolves around me and I'm worried about the poor little fellow. Some friends offered to watch him for a week but I feel like that could make him more resentful when he comes home, I'd rather just try to keep him involved in the changing family. Would you agree with that from your experiences?

I'm wondering if pets are the last thing on mom's of new babies minds-but if you have any input I'd appreciate it!

September 16th, 2010, 02:22 PM
klsfl10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My dog is amazingly well-behaved during the day and a monster when I have to get up and feed the baby at night. During the day he lays on the couch and doesn't get up unless I get his leash. He doesn't bother the baby and he usually just chills on the couch. But at night he starts whining the second I get out of bed and doesn't stop even after I've finished feeding Logan and gone back to bed.

This morning I tried taking him out at 4 am, figuring he'd be good when I got up for the next feeding and I'd be able to let him out of the crate...not so much. I let him out at 7 am and he kept trying to run in the nursery (which he knows not to do) then getting under my feet and I knew he was getting ready to pee in the house and I had the baby so luckily DBF got up when he heard me yelling at the dog and took him out. The constant whining at night during feedings is on my last nerve. My very last nerve.

September 16th, 2010, 02:23 PM
The Heather's Avatar Jedi Master of Piffleness
My dogs reacted the same way they did when my DD came home. They ran over to meet the newest addition to the family. I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback/German Shepard mix (75 lbs) and another German Shepard mix (45 lbs). In the beginning when I first brought my DD home, I just kept my eyes on them. However, they were wonderful with her. Our dogs were are babies before we had our DD, so I tried to make sure they still felt loved and gave them attention whenever I could.

September 16th, 2010, 02:24 PM
amymgem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a chihuahua who has been our baby up until now. I thought about it a lot before Wren was born and wondered how we would ever continue to keep our chi involved in our family. So, no, my pet was not the last thing on my mind, nor has it been since we brought Wren home.

Things have been going pretty well and we did not separate her for a week or any time at all really. She understands that she is not to get close to Wren unless we say it's okay and she's been surprisingly good so far (and truthfully she doesn't like babies or children-as is true of most small dogs). We've let her sniff her when we're around and she's even licked her little leg! Long story short, things are going much better than I had anticipated.

On the sadder note, I know she feels a little left out. It is such a whirlwind bringing your baby home and we have been so preoccupied with her that I know Lucita (chihuahua) feels left out. That being said, she still sleeps in the bed with us and when we have the free time, we try to do as much cuddling with her as possible.

I don't know if that helps at all, but you'd probably be fine keeping your dog at home too. That being said, it will probably be less stressful if you do keep him away for a bit. Either way, you'll have to introduce him eventually and right from the beginning may be the best way to go. Good luck!
September 16th, 2010, 02:33 PM
WomanInTheMoon's Avatar Courtney
We make ours keep a respectful distance. They can sniff, but not closer than a foot or so. Ceasar Milan style there.

With my health being bad I wish we hadn't had the dogs for awhile. But, if you're just going in to have the baby and back out then it's no biggie. Now that we're at 3 weeks out it's life back to normal. Dogs are not allowed in babies room and have to give him space. Other than that they are on their normal routine. Sleeping in the bed, etc.

September 16th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Our dog is a German Shepherd (~80 lbs) and she has always been a very laid back dog. When we had our first son she didn't even realize we had brought him home until he started crying, then she got a very curious look on her face and would stare at us as if to say: hurry, help him! We've never made her keep out of certain rooms, so that didn't change or anything.
September 16th, 2010, 03:51 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
The Westie worried me the most -- DH is the center of her world and I worried that there would be major amounts of jealousy. However, she's been very good around Betsy. She peaked into the car seat when we first brought Betsy home to check her out. She isn't phased by the crying either.

The Yorkie was a little clingy to me when we first brought Betsy home, but she's calmed down now. She doesn't like the cries, but puts up with it for a long time -- and then when she has had enough, she gives a little bark as if to say "Enough already kid!".

I do feel bad for both of them though. Their worlds have been rocked to the core. They can't come up on the couch when the baby is on there. People come over to see Betsy and then ignore the dogs. I can tell that they're sad, but they are adjusting.

Oh, and when we brought Betsy home, we left her in the car seat and put her on the couch. Dh picked up each dog, one at a time, and let them smell the car seat and see the baby. It seemed to work!
September 16th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
im am absolutely concerned with this as well. I have a 7 yr old yorkie who not only revolves around me...i have revolved around him! I swear he is human most of the time...LOL. We have tried to keep him involved with everything baby (ei: took all her toys and let him sniff them and tell him they are mollys, have let him 'help' put everything together, talked about being a 'big brother' --yea we are crazy, we know it...haha) He is pretty intelligent when i do tell him things, so we are hoping that he isn't a total pill when she comes home and my biggest fear is he will change his personality--he is so quirky and cute... im thinking he will be ok but you never know. he kinda has gone through rebellious acts (starting peeing on the floor when i went back to work) but since i have been home for 2 months, we got him out of that habit! thank goodness...

Saw a beautiful little heartbeat 1/28/10
Heard a Beautiful little heartbeat 3/3/2010
Saw a Beautiful Little GIRL 4/5/2010!!!!
Held my beautiful Little GIRL 9/24/2010

September 16th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Kenya's Avatar Expecting #2
Our younger german shepherd (he's 16 months) spazzed the first few days when she would cry or whimper. He had NO clue what she was, why she was here, etc. It was more annoying than anything because then he would cry. He's never been around a child under 6 months or so.

Our 2y/o german shepherd was a little curious at first but ultimately doesn't pay much attention to her crying and what not. He's just a lot more laid back about babies and little kids since he's been around them before.

Our cat...lol He saw her a few times so far. The first time he saw her is when he jumped up on our bed and licked the back of her head. I guess it gave her chills, but when she moved and he realized she was ALIVE, he took off. He hasn't been in our room since.
@ 2:55pm

6lbs - 10.7oz, 20 1/4 in long

Team Blue for Baby 2! Due in April

September 17th, 2010, 04:15 AM
klsfl10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
And at 6:30 when poor little Logan was fussy with tummy issues the dog started AGAIN. He whined for over half an hour straight so loudly I could hear him clearly in the other room with the door shut. I can't even hear the baby crying from that distance without a monitor. SO its 7am and in the last half hour I've changed and rocked my poor little fussy one, walked the dog, threw his crate blanket in the washer and took pain pills I was trying to avoid b/c its just hurting too badly now.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search