Log In Sign Up

Paige's birth story :)

Forum: 2010 Playroom


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2010, 07:09 PM
JennaBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,833
I am in amazement still as I sit here and write out Paige's birth story that everything actually happened. I still feel like I am living in a dream. As most of you know my pregnancy with Paige was far from easy. From issues with Type 1 diabetes, IUGR, gastro complex hernia, an early first trimester car accident and placental issues, kidney failure, and various other blood work issues, pre-term labor including steroids for lung development, and other varying concerns for mom and baby. We spent most of the 3rd trimester scheduling and rescheduling induction dates as test after test changed the opinions of my amazing medical team. How soon is too soon? Will this harm mama or baby? With threats of miscarriage early on, sleeping births in the second trimester, and premature delivery in the 3rd trimester it's been more than a roller coaster. I have to stop a moment before starting the story of Paige's delivery to thank each and EVERY momma on here who offered thoughts, prayers, and support through this ridiculously challenging time in my life. I am totally confident if it weren't for all of you we never would have made it to the beginning of this amazing adventure.

On Tuesday September 7th my team of doctors decided it was too risky to continue the pregnancy any longer and decided to perform an amniocentesis the following morning to check for lung maturity. I was only 36 and 2 days pregnant but SO incredibly thankful that I had even made it that far.

Wednesday September 8th
8:30am- We went to see my favorite doctor my Maternal Fetal Medicine Specialist Dr. Kaufman for my amnio. The whole time my heart was in my throat and my nerves on edge, it didn't help that as soon as he had inserted the needle my little acrobat decided to show off her dance moves and had him bobbing for fluid pockets. I stayed for an NST and blood work then sent home to wait for the results. I was a bit pissed because Dr. Kaufman wanted to send the results to another lab since ours had a history of giving 'false negatives' but we would have to wait another day for the results. My OB wanted the results ASAP so they decided to send it to their lab. I leave with this horrid feeling of doubt that they would give me false negative results and SOMETHING would happen between now and the next amnio. I had become accustomed to bad news so much that I just didn't see any alternative.

1:30pm- We get the results for MATURE LUNGS!!! DH and I are over the moon! The ob calls and tells us to come in at 4pm

4pm- We show up to L&D and put in observation for cervical ripening. Since my body doesn't handle pitocin well we were hoping the prostaglandin gel would help jump start things even though I was already 3cm and 60ish % effaced. We hang around for 4 hours and since my contractions weren't getting stronger or closer together we got to go home and sleep in our bed

Thursday September 9th

8am- DH and I bring DD to daycare and head over to the hospital. We get set up in our room and get my IV started. I have really small rolling veins so they give me a shot of lidocaine (sp?) to numb my hand first expecting to have to dig around a bit. My room was amazing. Flat screen t.v. mini fridge, microwave and can we say oh my! deep huge jacuzzi bath tub!! They get me all paper work ready, strapped to my monitors and start the pitocin.

12pm- Contractions are about 3 minutes apart but not unbearable. They checked me and I was only 4cm and 60%. I was heart broken. I figured we would have had her by now!!

4pm- They check me again and no progress. I was just numb. The contractions had picked up and the pitocin was getting in the high range. I just felt completely defeated. DH was amazing and keeping me occupied watching movies and such.

6pm- They break my waters and OMG it hurt! I don't remember it being painful with DD, just like a regular check but omg this was awful. My pitocin is now only 2 ups from maxed out so we are kind of on our last limb!

8:30pm Another check-5cm 75% ***. 0 station Woo hoo!!! Progress!!! The contractions are getting intense and I'm humming through all of them. I found the BEST way for me to cope was to hum and as the contractions peaked I would relax more and hum a lower pitch. I decided to get in and try the tub, all except for the jets. The water helped a bit but I just couldn't find a comfortable position.

10:30pm- by now Paige is having decels so they are flip flopping me around. I am in agony so here comes the Epi man 7-8cm 100% -1 station. The worst part of the Epi was that since it was a teaching hospital he had 2 interns with him that he was explaining EVERYTHING to as he went along. I was SOOO impatient! They had DH sitting in a chair infront of me and I couldn't hold my own body arched so I had him put his hands up to brace my shoulders and put his forehead to mine so my head wouldn't wobble. It was pretty funny. All while humming to my contractions

11:00pm- The contractions had started to break through my epi, and getting intense again. I kept trying to push the magic epi button but nothing was happening. I was humming again. I decided to be a naught girl and 'check' myself and that's when I realized she was comin out herself! I started screaming for the nurse who very calmly came right in accompanied by the doctor. I told her she was coming out and expected to get some crap like "oh ok honey we'll just see about that" but nope, no talking no second guessing me, they immediately broke the bed down and got DH on my leg to start pushing. At one point the dr told me to push lightly so I could 'stretch' I panted back, "i'm not pushing!! She's doing it on her own!!!"

11:19pm after only 4 contractions baby Paige was born. She went right to my chest and after some gurgles and coughs gave us an amazing breathtaking cry! She went to the nurse to get checked out and got a 9 and 10 on her APGAR!! I delivered the placenta while daddy cut the cord. They handed her to me and she was perfect! Born 5lbs 9oz 18 inches!! Even Bigger than her sister was!!

She breastfed her first feeding but her second needed to be formula because her sugars were low. After that she was totally stable with her sugars. However, because I am a diabetic they had to prick her heel every 2 hours before feedings to check her sugars. DH really didn't handle that well, watching her scream, I was just so relieved that she was ok. She passed all her tests. Big Sister Evelyn came to see us on Friday and was so gentle and sweet with kisses and pats. We all went home Saturday as a complete family. I can't tell you the sigh of relief as we walked out those doors. An entire world of anxiety was lifted, I was OK, she was perfect, and we were a family. Paige is a week old today and she is doing amazing. We finally have her sleeping in her bassinet and not on mommy. She's BFing like a champ and Big sister is adjusting very well to her new role. Her 1st pedi appointment was excellent. Only down 3oz from birth weight and thriving.

We are just so greatful to have this miracle in our lives. Even at the worst of moments when Paige is crying to be fed, Evie is crying to be held and wanting mommy, the dog is barking to get taken out, and DH is out on an errand I am still smiling because we are all home, healthy, happy, and incredibly blessed to be a family of 4.
Reply With Quote
September 16th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 670
Congratulations! Glad you are both healthy and doing well....and thank you, I was once an intern too
Joyfully expecting #2 in January!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0