Selfish and depressed.

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Mom2#1Drakester's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So you girls have probably seen my posts that I have been annoyed w/ peoples opnions on me bf'ing. Well now I just feel silly complaining b/c now I feel like i can't do it I am kind of a control freak and I get so frustrated with bf'ing b/c he will latch and do a feeding and then you know how you are supposed to feed like every 2-3 hours?? Well he will latch on a million times in between those feedings and I don't know what counts as the next feeding at that point And as for the switching to the next boob stuff well he has been on both of them several times in between feedings as well.
Also, and i feel really really bad for saying this, I really wanted to have a couple of drinks one night while my aunt is here to help watch the baby to celebrate not being pregnant anymore and I can't. And it makes me feel guilty and selfish.
Then the other night I was so darn tired that I let my hubby get up and give Drake a bottle of formula b/c i felt like i would go crazy if I did not sleep.

thank you tasha_mae for the great siggy!
September 17th, 2010, 11:16 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!

It's okay to take a break and need a break sometimes! Don't feel guilty! Would you be willing to try pumping at all (if you want to keep BFing)? That way you could have DH feed him at night more often and be less tired and less stressed. Also, if you pump, you can feed Drake pumped milk and go out and have a drink or two and pump and dump for the evening. That's one of my main incentives to pump

As far as not knowing what counts as his next feeding, try not to get so caught up in worrying about feeding him every two to three hours. He should let you know when he's hungry

September 17th, 2010, 11:17 AM
lovely_serendipity's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I understand how wanting to celebrate made u feel guilty but its only natural to desire some sort of break and as far as sleep...u need sleep for ur sanity!!!!

Myself personally I just don't drink (used to when i was young and just got burnt out on it). I honestly hate the way u feel the day after... i never really got hangovers but its just makes me feel super dehydrated and I hate that feeling.

Have u already passed the first 2 weeks of bfing?????

Its not that u cant drink...u just cant bf fora few days after...u can go buy those strips that test the milk and start feeding again once its all clean....but if u really dont HAVE to drink but just want a way to relax and feel normal then try getting a mani & pedi or a back massage. Take a salon trip or just whatever it is u like to do...

Just because ur mommy doesnt mean u dont deserve something for urself!!!
September 17th, 2010, 11:24 AM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
i feel your frustration about the latch and popping off or just refusing to latch but rooting for food

if you decide to continue bfing and only do so if it ends up working for you... remember, the fact that you feed your baby with love is the important thing not if it is formula or breastmilk.... try burping him ALOT often when gavin is having such issues it is that he has a burp or toots and then he can either feed or calm down

do what you need to do .... a happy sane mommy feeding formula can be better for a baby then a BF mommy who is about to loose it!!!
September 17th, 2010, 11:24 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
You wouldn't even need to wait a few days if you only went out and had a drink or two (or even a little more). Here is a link that describes the effects of alcohol and breastmilk:
How long does alcohol remain in breastmilk? - iVillage

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish luck View Post
do what you need to do .... a happy sane mommy feeding formula can be better for a baby then a BF mommy who is about to loose it!!!

I forgot to say that Whatever you chose to do, as long as you are happy and Drake is being fed, then you're doing great!!

September 17th, 2010, 12:44 PM
mothra's Avatar Martha
Don't let anyone fool you into thinking BFing is easy, especially in the beginning! The truth is that newborns really can't be put onto a feeding "schedule", feeding on demand is the best way to know he is getting enough and to keep your milk supply up. Also there really is no need to pump & dump, you can have a drink or two without causing any harm. It gets metabolized so fast that often it barely passes through your milk. If you really are worried then pump a bunch beforehand and get those alcohol testing strips for your milk, so you know you have unspoiled milk on hand in case you test and there is too much showing up. Baby needs a nice relaxed mama! It really does get easier too, stick with it as best you can and all of those amazing benefits will start to surface. ((HUGS))

September 17th, 2010, 01:31 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Breastfeeding isn't easy, and I have definitely had my moments when I feel like I really need a break. (((HUGS))) Being a Mommy is tough.

I was obsessed with keeping track of Claire's feedings from the first few days, but then I realized I was driving myself crazy so I quit. Babies will tell you when they need to eat! If you are having trouble knowing what counts as a feeding and not knowing when to switch sides, try block feeding. Try feeding on one side for 2 hours, then switching for 2 hours.

Good luck!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (5), Abigail (3) and George (3)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search