anyone know anything about insurance?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Frangipani's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just got the bill from the hospital and it had NOTHING covered for the baby. None of the nursery time, meds, nothing. The bill said "dependent not covered". Well, duh, I didn't have him on my insurance since he wasn't born yet. I have added him to my insurance (they said I had to do it within 30 days of his birth) but am wondering am I really not going to have this bill covered since he wasn't on my insurance prior to giving birth? That seems really crazy to me if so.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?
September 17th, 2010, 08:21 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
you may need to add him and have the hospital re-run the insurance. We actually had to call our insurance at the NICU and add Kaylee so that she could go home with the Billie light blanket, they needed to have her added first to insure coverage. With DS everything was automatic - i would call the insurance company...but yes it should be covered.
September 17th, 2010, 08:28 PM
ok, I sure hope so! That was the whole reason I chose this insurance in the first place-it said everything was covered, 100% with deliveries. I didn't think to ask about nursery/baby care!
September 17th, 2010, 08:43 PM
lovely_serendipity's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
most the time with babies u just add them then call the number on the bill and have them rerun it...they norm ask u to do it within 30 days because the insurance will only go back and cover the last 30 days previous where newborns are concern. I guess they know that u may need some time to get around to it...u can add baby after 30 days but the insurance would only cover last 30 days.
September 18th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Justjessie's Avatar Really Just Angela
Yeah they'll act for a few minutes like duh, the baby wasn't born yet so it's not covered...but it is. They just have to re run it. You may have to repeat yourself like a preschool teacher several time on the phone...but they'll get it straight =)
September 18th, 2010, 06:42 AM
klsfl10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad I haven't opened the hospital bills that came in the mail yesterday bc they probably say the same and I'd have panicked, lol.

September 18th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Lauraubie's Avatar Super Mommy
I got my bills and everything was covered for the baby. We didn't call or anything in advance. The insurance forms were just sent in yesterday so I am sure they didn't have them when they covered it. We have a family plan where what we pay is the same no matter how many children we have... so maybe that has something to do with it? If you have to pay additional for the baby they want their mooolaahhhh before they cover

Good Luck... insurance companies are sooooo much fun to deal with! But I'm sure you will get it all straightened out.

Custom Photo Cards & Invitations ~ Peek at my Website ~ Like me on Facebook
September 18th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Gah, I hope it gets straightened out. I did have a mild panic attack over this! I just don't have that money lying around, you know? Plus, it just seems so crazy to not cover it. I'm going to call them today and see if I can straighten it out.
September 18th, 2010, 09:12 AM
sassysarah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I called my insurance company they said anything from birth on would be covered but I might get bills for things because she wasn't on my card yet. I'm sure if you have the bill resubmitted now that the baby is on your insurance things will be covered.

September 18th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sure this is redundant but you did have maternity coverage, right? We had maternity then when got pg we called INS. Company to notify them and then reviewed deductibles with dr. Office to see what we would end up oweing. We do have to call our INS again after she is born and it's supposed to be covered.... But I guess we will see! I hate dealing with insurance!!!!

Saw a beautiful little heartbeat 1/28/10
Heard a Beautiful little heartbeat 3/3/2010
Saw a Beautiful Little GIRL 4/5/2010!!!!
Held my beautiful Little GIRL 9/24/2010

September 18th, 2010, 02:16 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Even tho we had insurance they - it was crappy insurance so i'm sure your bill is still less then ours We're at $4,000 so far that we owe ... and we'll see what we owe from Kaylee's NICU stay (although more of that will be covered)

good thing it's our last baby so we don't go bankrupt!
September 18th, 2010, 04:12 PM
lovely_serendipity's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by alethia View Post
Even tho we had insurance they - it was crappy insurance so i'm sure your bill is still less then ours We're at $4,000 so far that we owe ... and we'll see what we owe from Kaylee's NICU stay (although more of that will be covered)

good thing it's our last baby so we don't go bankrupt!

wow really!!!!! You would have been better off getting the medicaid the government offers!!! My friend had medicaid and she didnt pay a dime for ANYTHING not the NICU stay or nothin!! Plus her baby was covered for the first couple years of life

Of course...she was broke and unemployed and was able to get the assistance...

I think its crappy that u get worse insurance when u have a job!!!
September 18th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I called and talked to the ins company. They said he has not been added to my policy by my employer yet! WHAT THE?! That really makes me mad since, hello, they are taking the money out of my paycheck already. ARGHHH. I have to call human resources first thing on Monday morning since Monday will be day #31, which is apparently the last day you can add a new beneficiary!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search