For those who have been induced...questions????

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2010, 03:48 PM
lovely_serendipity's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok so I have an induction date set for Tuesday 9/21 at 7am.

I asked the hospital what induction methods they do...

Turns out they dont even do things like Cervidil...When I asked why they said because once its in there is nothing they can do to take it out or stop it if there is a bad reaction or something goes wrong... okkk so whatever.

I mean I trust my hospital because its very highly rated in the country as a hospital, university, and research center... but come on...they dont even offer that option???

ANYWAY

The nurse said that they typically use a Foley Bulb if you 2-3cms of less for a while... then do pitocin... of course at some point they break ur water...

Well I have researched all these things of course but I just want to hear it from the source... the people who have been induced using these type of methods..

Was it ur first child or child 2,3,4....???

How long did they leave the Foley Bulb in???

How did they go about ur pitocin dosage???

How long were u on pitocin???

Plus just add any details or tips that u think I might need to know and be aware of.... I know it supposed to hurt more with pitocin but how dilated were u when u asked for an epi(if u did) and of course the dreaded question of How well did the epi work???

Lastly... did u end up with a c section anyway...and if so after how many hours of induction did they decide u needed one???

Oh wait!!!! How long was ur hospital stay all together???
?

Ok I think Im done with questions now lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
September 18th, 2010, 04:22 PM
lexicon's Avatar formerly SarahRenee
I didn't have the Foley bulb.

They didn't even start the pitocin for me this time until after they broke my water... my contractions were on top of each other but not intense enough so they felt the pit was needed.

They broke my water when I was 3-4 cm dilated.

Got my epidural at 5-6 cm. It worked amazing for me. I've had 2 babies and BOTH times the epidural is what in fact sped up my dilation because my contractions were doing nothing to help me dilate. I have to tell the hospital staff from now on that baby will be here within a hour of getting the epidural.

The hardest part about the epidural is STAYING STILL during contractions... it SUCKS. Both times i had a knee-jerk reaction with my leg when they inserted it... and you'll feel a burning numbing sensation run down your leg on one side and up the other leg. But it helped SO MUCH in terms of the pain... I felt so relaxed afterwards. I still could feel pressure and I definitely felt the ring of fire both times. I had no problem pushing with the epidural in.

I've been induced twice now and both were very positive experiences. I really hope yours goes smoothly as well!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my siggy!
September 18th, 2010, 05:01 PM
The Heather's Avatar Jedi Master of Piffleness
I have had 2 inductions with very different outcomes. However, I would do it again in the future.

With my first, my water broke on it's own but I wasn't in active labor so they gave me pitocin. It went very well.

With Chase, I was 3 cm dialated but my cervix was still long. I was given pitocin again, but never progressed. Then my doctor broke my water and found that I had a cord prolapse, so I had to have an emergency c/s.

September 18th, 2010, 05:51 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Hmmm...

I had the citotec (sp) with DD and everything happened naturally after that, it was the better of my 2 induction experiences...

This round, my OB stripped my membranes, then immediately broke my water, then about 6 hours later, I had pitocin added to the concoction, and I'm not sure what the dose was, but they said it was a smaller dose since I just needed a "push" to get things rolling as my epidural actually slowed things down a bit Then, for the last hour, instead of upping my pit, we cut off the epidural, since I was already pretty well numbed, and it worked perfectly.

Kellen did have some issue with his heart rate dropping with the final hour or two of contractions, which is why we were in a "hurry" to get things moving and get him out.

No problems with anything else, and he was perfectly healthy

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
September 18th, 2010, 05:56 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Was it ur first child or child 2,3,4....??? 1st and 2nd

How long did they leave the Foley Bulb in??? didn't have a foley bulb with either

How did they go about ur pitocin dosage??? i only had PIT with DD - cervadil started contractions with DS into labor

How long were u on pitocin??? with DD for 1 day then off for a few hours then back on for another day and half

Plus just add any details or tips that u think I might need to know and be aware of.... I know it supposed to hurt more with pitocin but how dilated were u when u asked for an epi(if u did) and of course the dreaded question of How well did the epi work??? with DD i was almost 7cm, DS i had one before the cervadil b/c i had a spinal tap

Lastly... did u end up with a c section anyway...and if so after how many hours of induction did they decide u needed one??? No , both were vag

Oh wait!!!! How long was ur hospital stay all together???? well with DS i was sick so i was there for about 2 weeks, with DD it was 4 days
September 18th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've never hada true induction, but I have had pitocin for both of my boys. With my first I was having lots of contractions, but they weren't helping me dilate. The epidural finally helped me. Same for #2. I stayed 2 nights past delivering them. I don't remember the specifics of how long/what dose of the pitocin I had though.
September 18th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Was it ur first child or child 2,3,4....??? I have been induced three times

How long did they leave the Foley Bulb in??? I have not had this done at all
How did they go about ur pitocin dosage??? I didn't follow my Pitocin doses

How long were u on pitocin??? Not sure

Plus just add any details or tips that u think I might need to know and be aware of.... I know it supposed to hurt more with pitocin but how dilated were u when u asked for an epi(if u did) and of course the dreaded question of How well did the epi work???

So far i have had three perfect epidurals, The first three I was numb to the pain but still had enough sensation to effectively push. First delivery I pushed for 15 minutes. Second delivery I pushed for 3 pushed. Third well my epidural was very strong adn I did not even feel the need to push and I had no idea if I even pushed but the baby came out any way in what my husband explained as no effort and before the doctor was ready for him.

With my Epidurals I was a johnny come late. My first i requested it at 3cm and went from 3cm to 10cm in the one hour it took to get the epidural in. However teh baby didn't arrive for 4 hours after that go figure.

Second baby i request my epidural at 3 cm and slept through labor.

Third delivery i requested my epidural at 5 cm and the nurse was thinking baby was going to arrive before the epidural.

My husband keeps trying to talk me into going natural for labor and I keep wimping out. I uswually come out of labor thinking: Note to self request the !@#$% epidural at 2 cm so I can skip the panic of the baby coming before the epidural and being in pain waiting for the anestesiologist to work me into their schedule...

Lastly... did u end up with a c section anyway...and if so after how many hours of induction did they decide u needed one???

I have not had a c section at all. My fisrt induction lasted 8 hours my second was 5.5 hours and my third was 12 hours but it used cervidil and no pitocine at all and took a lot longer to get started.

Oh wait!!!! How long was ur hospital stay all together??? My first delivery I was there for two nights, the second and third I spent one night there. It is impossible to rest in the hospital with the nurses, assistance and everyone coming in at all hours of the day and night. They sent the vampire in at 5am to do my blood draws. HELLO when an i supposed to sleep? Oh and I took food with me to the hospital and I am very glad that I did. .

September 18th, 2010, 08:23 PM
klsfl10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Was it ur first child or child 2,3,4....??? 1st

How long did they leave the Foley Bulb in??? Didn't have that.

How did they go about ur pitocin dosage??? I know they raised the dosage when they wanted me to be able to feel to push and lowered the epi same time...I almost beat them. Then when I was pushing and nothing happening the doctor and I agreed on a c-section.

How long were u on pitocin??? 14 hours?

How well did the epi work??? After the 1st 2 attempts to get it in...amazing!!!

Lastly... did u end up with a c section anyway...and if so after how many hours of induction did they decide u needed one??? Yes. They started everything at midnight and he was born 8:14pm

Oh wait!!!! How long was ur hospital stay all together???? Went supposedly just for labs on Wednesday, got induced at midnight Wednesday night/Thursday morning and was discharged on Tuesday. I had complications with my blood pressure and blood count.

Last edited by klsfl10; September 19th, 2010 at 08:30 AM.
September 18th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Wifey2Jordan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Was it ur first child or child 2,3,4....??? 2nd

How long did they leave the Foley Bulb in??? Didn't have a foley bulb

How did they go about ur pitocin dosage??? I believe I started at 6 or 8ml/hour. They upped it 2ml, every 30 mins or so. I think it maxed out around 12/14ml I don't remember

How long were u on pitocin??? 7 hours

I ended up with a vaginal birth, about 8 hours of labor, pushed him out in 2 contractions. I stayed in the hospital 19 hours after he was born. Overall, it was a great experience for me, however I would not have wanted to be induced with my first. I feel like since I already knew I could have a vaginal delivery, my risk of c-section went down a little. Luckily it worked out for me.
September 18th, 2010, 10:09 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My 5th baby, first induction. I loved it. Got the EPI in before the PIC was started, so I never even felt one contraction!! I was dialated to 2-3cm when we started, so no bulb or cervical issues. The only thing I did not like was the swelling. I never had swelling with my natural births, but this was my first EPI. Im asuming the swelling came from the EPI or the PIC, or a combination of the two. But to not feel any pain what so ever, was awsome!! I did feel the pressure to push, and I pushed Mia out in 30secs of contractions!!

I was in the hospital about 36hrs....she was born at 1am, so with the weird timing, I got a little bit longer than the 24hrs......

I labored about 11hrs. PIC was turned up to about 14 on the dial, but then I had some un-explained hemoraging, so they turned it down to 4 about an hour before she was born. No back problems post labor, EPI was a great experience!

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

September 19th, 2010, 07:36 AM
WomanInTheMoon's Avatar Courtney
You pretty much know my story. My doc said that if you were dilated at all then all they did was the pit and breaking your water.

September 19th, 2010, 08:30 AM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
Was it ur first child or child 2,3,4....??? I was induced with both boys with VERY different outcomes.

How long did they leave the Foley Bulb in??? Did not have Foley with either. I had cervidil with DS1. It was in 12 hours and did nothing. With DS2 I was already 75% effaced and 2 cm dilated so my body didn't need anything to soften the cervix.

How did they go about ur pitocin dosage??? IV - but in different manners. DS1 - I was at or around 15 (it goes up to 20) while I didn't have an epi. They had to give me staydol (sp) to take the edge off. I didn't want an epi until they figured out whether the PIT was working or not. So I went from 0cm to 4cm with them breaking my water around 3.5 with no epi and painful painful contractions.
DS2 - since I was having a VBAC and my body already was preparing for labor, they started me at 4 and gradually increased to 14 before breaking my water after 4 hours. I only dilated 1 cm with the PIT by itself in 4 hours.

How long were u on pitocin??? oh - sorry - kinda answered that above. I'll continue - so DS1 I was on it for about 12 hours and it got me from 0-10. With DS2 I was on it about 5. But things moved REALLY fast after my water broke. PIT by itself for 4 hours = 1cm. Breaking my water with PIT - 7 cm in 1.5 hours.

Plus just add any details or tips that u think I might need to know and be aware of.... I know it supposed to hurt more with pitocin but how dilated were u when u asked for an epi(if u did) and of course the dreaded question of How well did the epi work???I had great epi experiences. I got both my epis after they broke my water. With DS2 I was contracting so severely and quickly (remember 7cm in 1.5 hours) that is was much harder to sit still. The doc doing the epi was very nice and made sure I wasn't contracting while he was working. He talked me through the entire procedure and told me what to expect. I did jump just once, but his steady hands kept everything in place and on track. With DS1, my blood pressure was so low I almost passed out. Make sure you tell them if you start feeling dizzy or tired. They have to shoot something in your IV if you start to pass out. With DS2, they monitored blood pressure (it was 90/60) the entire time and I was fine. I was around 3-4 cm with both when I got the epi.

Lastly... did u end up with a c section anyway...and if so after how many hours of induction did they decide u needed one??? I did have an emergency section with DS1 after an hour and a half of trying to push him out. He never descended, I never felt the need to push and the cord was wrapped around his neck. His heartrate was dropping to dangerous levels, so we decided from the safety of all to have a section. Now, part of me thinks my body just wasn't ready to go into labor, hence him never descending. But, even if he did, could I have delivered him with the cords wrapped 5 times around his neck? Who is to say? So the entire labor from start (cervidil) to finished (c-section) was 23 hours.
DS2 was entirely different. I feel my body was ready for labor and the PIT helped it along instead of forcing it. KWIM? I pushed for an hour and 10 minutes with DS2. I had them turn the epi completely off when I started pushing b/c I had no idea what to do. She kept saying "at the peak of the contraction tell us and push". I never felt the peak. Turning off the epi is what really helped me know what and when to do. It really was instinctual once I could somewhat feel. The epi had not completely worn off by the time I pushed him out, so it wasn't painful at all. I just could feel the pressure. Now it was worn off by the time she was stitching me up, so I had to get some local anesthetic for that. I was up walking to the bathroom an hour after birth. Overall the recovery has been much different too. I was very very swollen with the section and 23 hour labor. I had no swelling with DS2. I was on pain meds every 4-6 hours with DS1. I take a pain med at night with this labor. I probably should be taking them more frequently, but they make me feel dizzy and lightheaded. But I also feel like I feel more pain with this recovery. I am doing more and not taking as many pain meds, so you can see why. Plus the hemrroids with the VBAC are enough to cuss yo momma!

Oh wait!!!! How long was ur hospital stay all together???? DS1 (section) - 4 days. DS2 (VBAC) - 2 days

Sorry it was so long, but I had COMPLETELY different experiences. I hope everything turns out fabulous and you get exactly the labor you want. But know, in the end, I had two very healthy happy babies. It didn't matter how they came into the world, they were healthy and mine.

September 19th, 2010, 09:58 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
First child

No Foley bulb

I don't remember my pitocin doses, although I remember the nurse saying that it was my body that was doing most of the work. I went into the hossy at 3 cm and almost 100% effaced.

They started the pitocin shortly after my arrival at 4 pm -- wasn't paying attention as to how long I was on it.

Epi wasn't bad but you have to stay still for 10 minutes. Overall, it worked well except it never numbed my left hip socket, so I felt every single contraction in that hip (which was weird!).

I ended up w/ a c-section because Betsy's head was too big to pass through the opening -- it had nothing to do with being induced. I pushed hard for 2 hours and the doc did everything he could to get me to deliver vaginally. All told, from water breaking to c-section I was in active labor for about 8.5 hours.

Hossy stay was 4 days.

Good luck!
September 19th, 2010, 03:27 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
Ok your induction sounds like it is going to be a lot like mine was.

Was it ur first child or child 2,3,4....??? First child

How long did they leave the Foley Bulb in??? It's actually not a foley like a catheter, it is a cervical balloon. They insert it up into your cervix, fill it with water, and it resembles the head of the baby pushing down on your cervix which causes dilation. They put mine in on Tuesday night and left it until it fell out on its own (because that meant that it worked). It should dilate you to 3-4cm and then fall out on its own, otherwise the OB will take it out by deflating it. They put mine in at around 6-7pm and it came out at around midnight.

How did they go about ur pitocin dosage??? They monitor your contractions and stuff and the nurse will titrate it so that it is effective. The goal is for you to have continuous contractions pretty regularly. So the graph should look like a wave with each contraction. They will play with the dosage until it does this at the interval that they want.

How long were u on pitocin??? I think it was a total of 12 hours.

Plus just add any details or tips that u think I might need to know and be aware of.... I know it supposed to hurt more with pitocin but how dilated were u when u asked for an epi(if u did) and of course the dreaded question of How well did the epi work??? I was at 5.5 when I asked for the epi, but had been at 5 for a while. If you looked at the graph of my contractions the wave was hitting the very top and going over. It took two tries to get the epi in because I was very anxious about it and moved a little bit on the first try. Once the epi was in I couldn't feel anything... no pressure, no pain. My contractions were VERY strong according to the nurse and she was amazed I couldn't feel them. I was laughing and talking like normal after the epi went in.

Lastly... did u end up with a c section anyway...and if so after how many hours of induction did they decide u needed one??? Yes I ended up with a c-section. I was 12 hours in, but the reason that they decided it was that I wasn't progressing past six. I had progressed quickly to 6, but stayed at six for almost the last half of my labor. This was causing the baby to have "molding". His head was engaged into my cervix, but it was dilating, so the skin of his head was pushing through but the rest of his head wasnt. Therefore he came out with a cute little cone head

Oh wait!!!! How long was ur hospital stay all together???? I went in Tuesday night and got discharged Saturday morning.

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
September 19th, 2010, 09:52 PM
lovely_serendipity's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies for sharing...I like hearing personal stories over all the scientific research in the world!!!

I go in for mine in a lil less than 32 hours (<-- still hoping she comes on her own before this but have accepted that its probably not gonna happen), so I just wanted to feel like my knowledge on it was well rounded!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search