Another breastfeeding question ...

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
How often does your baby swallow? Does s/he suck-suck-suck-swallow or suck-swallow-suck-swallow?
We got a phone call from a nurse yesterday, she was checking on Milan and me. One of her questions was about how often he swallows while eating.. Apparently babies should be swallowing after every "suck". She suggested that I press on my breast to help him get more milk while sucking so that he can swallow every time. It has been working better. He used to fall asleep all the time because all the sucking was making him tired and feeding was taking 1h30 because I had to wake him up all the time. Now I am saving 30 min per feed. Yay!! More sleep for me

Thanks Claire1979 for my awesome siggy.
September 19th, 2010, 06:40 AM
The Heather's Avatar Jedi Master of Piffleness
For the most part, he sucks and swallows each time. However, he does also suck-suck-suck swallow at times too. Our nursing sessions usually take about 25-30 minutes.

September 19th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I could never hear/see my kiddo swallow, but obviously he was becasue he was a chunker! He would BF for about 30 minutes most times. He was a very sleepy baby and at night I had to strip him down to his diaper so he wouldn't get too cozy and drift back to sleep.
September 19th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When my breasts feel really full (usually in the morning) she swallows after every suck. sometimes in the afternoon it is suck suck swallow.
September 19th, 2010, 09:13 AM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
Luke swallows after every or every other suck. I do breast compressions also,but also to make sure I am not a pacifier. Our sessions last 30-45 minutes. If I compress and he doesn't swallow I know he's done. Oh the swallowing sounds like a clicking in the back of his throat to me.

September 19th, 2010, 10:45 AM
missmich
Yeah,um I'm not that good with numbers and counting and stuff so I don't notice this stuff. Did they show you how to BF before you left the hospital? Some of the nurses would actually take my breast and put it in his mouth the way it should be and they told me to hold my breast like a sandwich when I fed him. It does work once you get the hang of it,as long as he has a good latch. He used to get so comfy and cozy and fall asleep right away,so they suggested I BF him naked. He won't get to cold since he's next to me. I'll give my breast a little squeeze to see if he's asleep on me or not,if he swallows I assume he still needs more. Now often we start off with a bad latch and it hurts! So I give it a moment to see if it gets better,if not I hook my finger into his cheek and take him off and start again.
September 19th, 2010, 12:25 PM
-Trish-'s Avatar Mom to 3boys & a Princess
Suck and swallow most of the time here...and really fast sometimes to because my flow is pretty fast, sometimes she starts coughing and I have to take her off to catch her breath.

Usually she'll feed for 15-20 mins on one breast, we'll change her to wake her up and then she'll take the other breast...10-20 mins.

Thank you so much Alethia for my GORGEOUS siggy!!

September 19th, 2010, 03:16 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tenli's Mom~ View Post
For the most part, he sucks and swallows each time. However, he does also suck-suck-suck swallow at times too. Our nursing sessions usually take about 25-30 minutes.
Exactly this! When he seems like he is just sucking to suck, I rub on his little jawbone and that makes him more active with swallowing and feeding.

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search