Any tips for Gassy Babies?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2010, 10:16 AM
VeronicaBride's Avatar Jen
Last night Hudson had such a rough night. I think it is just gas as he grunts and groans and his face goes all red and he seems in SOO much pain until he farts or burps or poops and then he's ok for a while. He has had bouts of this since he was born but just here and there and never for a whole evening. Last night it was almost from 11pm - 6am with very little relief in between. He calms down when I hold him and rock him and pat his bum or rub his back. He is also a little congested so that isn't helping anything either. We have tried giving him gripe water but he doesn't really like it and I feel like more gets spit back then anything. He is in his bouncer right now and the vibrations of that do seem to be helping.

Any suggestions?

September 19th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ohh you must have had a very hard night!. Hugs...
We had a little gas crisis as well a couple of nights ago. Milan was screaming and we did not know what was wrong. For gas pains I would try to help him pass them by moving his legs in the way that his knees touch his belly. Up and down - up and down. I hope this makes sense. You can also try massaging his belly with your fingers.

Thanks Claire1979 for my awesome siggy.
September 19th, 2010, 10:41 AM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
i don't have help for you other than to say you are not alone... i think i got 3 hours of sleep total last night and that was only because i fed gavin and left him with day in the evening and went to bed before him

i have heard there is a colic calm gripe water (can't find it in canada but is is online and sold in US) that is suppost to be better than normal gripe water

i might order it, if i do i will let you know how it works!
September 19th, 2010, 10:50 AM
pbcups10's Avatar Super Mommy
Do you breastfeed? I do and DD had a terribly gassy day on Tuesday so I cleaned up my diet... no dairy, spicy food, chocolate, caffeine... and she hasn't had any problems since. I am going to wait a few days and try some dairy to see if it's a conicidence or what. I figure it can't hurt though.
We tried mylicon drops with DS but they didn't do anything so I wasn't going to bother with them again.

September 19th, 2010, 11:39 AM
The Heather's Avatar Jedi Master of Piffleness
You can fold their legs so they are sort of Indian style and then push them up to their belly and rock them side to side. Hopefully that makes sense. It is difficult to describe in words. This really helps get the gas out.

September 19th, 2010, 11:40 AM
VeronicaBride's Avatar Jen
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbcups10 View Post
Do you breastfeed? I do and DD had a terribly gassy day on Tuesday so I cleaned up my diet... no dairy, spicy food, chocolate, caffeine... and she hasn't had any problems since. I am going to wait a few days and try some dairy to see if it's a conicidence or what. I figure it can't hurt though.
We tried mylicon drops with DS but they didn't do anything so I wasn't going to bother with them again.
Yeah I do breastfeed and have been trying to think if it is something in my diet. I can't think of anything specific but I think I will try and cut out/back on dairy, chocolate etc and see if that helps. I was reading some articles online and they all seem to indicate it probably doesn't have a lot to do with diet but so many moms seem to have different reactions from there own experiences so I am willing to try a bland diet and see if that helps!

September 19th, 2010, 01:08 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
things like onion and such - that i are when b/f made DS Gassy. Ditto on pushing his legs up near his tummy - that helps DD and helped DS...it also results in poop a lot for us Gas drops sometimes help too
September 19th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Wifey2Jordan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry, that is so hard. We had a couple days like this too. I cut out dairy, and chocolate, and he has been SO much better. I learned with Carter to stay away from onions, I learned that one the hard way. He is still gassy sometimes, and i'll give him Little tummies gas drops, and he's a happy boy. I think i'll try having a little milk in a few days and see if that really is it, but for right now he's happy, i'm happy. I hope you figure something out!
September 19th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had to avoid onion, garlic, chocolate, and tomato sauce with my boys.

You can bicycle their legs-that sometimes helps too. I have also heard a warm blanket on their tummy helps-but be sure it isn't too warm.
September 19th, 2010, 02:34 PM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
Send a message via AIM to mt23hc
Maybe try Mylicon? We use that for Cohen...
September 19th, 2010, 03:12 PM
C&J's Mom's Avatar Stacy
You are not alone! I have been having those nights for two nights in a row now and the days aren't much better (although when he is awake I can manage the burps out a little better than when he is asleep). The moving his legs up into his chest like riding a bicycle helps sometimes or holding him upright by my shoulder and walking while lightly bouncing. I have tried the gas drops, but so far they don't seem to work with Jack. They worked with my other son. I don't have any fool proof advice, but wanted you to know you are not alone! Hope things get better soon!

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search