C-section mommies...advice?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 20th, 2010, 05:16 AM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will be having my first c-section. I know NOTHING about it and the recovery. I have a feeling googling will just upset me. LOL So any quick advice for a first time c-section?

I know to get up out of bed as soon as possible.

I also will be breastfeeding so any tips on that relating to the c-section would be great also

I am also worried about silly things like when can I shower? Pick up my 27lb toddler? That one worries me the most.

Thanks girls!

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

September 20th, 2010, 05:55 AM
kellbri2005's Avatar Veteran
I jsut had my first with Brielle three weeks ago and I am feeling great, just some pain here and there if I do too much.

C-section steps

1) They give you epidural in your spianal cord and within minutes you feel tingling and you are basically paralyzed from the botton of your breast bone down.

2.) Hubby can come in the room at this point (in scrubs).

3.) They start the incision right above your biini line and trust me you will not even know they are doing it.

4.) Within 5-10 min of the incision, the baby is out and you are a mommy!!

5.) The worst part is after. It takes a long time for them to stich you up and than you have to spend some time in the recovery room, and it is sad because all you want to do is hold your baby.

6.) Once you are out of recovery you are brought to your room. The numbness feeling will take about 3 hours to go away. As time passes you will be able to wiggle your toes and than eventually everything.

7.) You wil haven to sray in bed at least 12-24 hours after c-section (they had me walking after 12 hrs). You are also going to have a catheter in for the first 24 hrs.

8.) You may become extremly itchy form the anathesia they give you. It happened to me horribly the next day but IV benadryl helped.

9.) You will be pretty much pain free for the first 12-15 hours because the epidural/anathesia are still doing their job as far as pain control.

10.) I am not going to lie, days 2-4 I was waking up in sever pain and couldn't even turn in bed. They gave me pain meds which really worked and helped me get back to sleep.

11.) Wallking as much as possible will speed the recovery/pain

12.) You will not be able to drive for 3 weeks, no heavy lifting, working out, house work or sex for 6 weeks after the c-section.

Like I said, I am on week three and as far as pain I am doing really well. I only have to take motrin 800mg once in ahile and I even took Brielle to the park the other day for a walk!!!

Hope this helps and goodluck!!

BRIELLE ANNE/ 8/31/10/ 7LBS 80Z
September 20th, 2010, 06:01 AM
ginnkneephur's Avatar Rainbows and Sunshine
Few things.....First and something I never knew I could do... Ask if you can have your baby in recovery with you as you want to breast feed as soon as possible. They may say no if you are sort of out of it. I know that I was with Zakkary. With Phillip I went to to ICU first because of all the complications. Zakk was smooth sailing.

Of course get up and moving as soon as you can. That first time up is going to be uncomfortable but totally worth it. It took me 5 days to go home with Pip bec I didn't want to move and was only at the hospital for 48 hours after a c section with Zakkary.

My favorite tip to give people is if you feel the need to cough or sneeze hold a pillow firmly over your abdomen. Coughing and sneezing are pretty painful at first and the pillow keeps the pain down a ton.

This is what I am doing different this time around. My entire family wants to come to the hospital and wait while I have surgery. I don't want them to. I am asking them all to come later in the day so that when I get to my room I have some private time with my daughter. It will give us a chance to get settled and work on our breastfeeding.

September 20th, 2010, 06:26 AM
The Heather's Avatar Jedi Master of Piffleness
I don't know much about the actual c-section because mine was very different since it was an emergency. As far as the recovery goes, I also suggest getting out of bed and walking around as soon as possible. Get help from the lactation consultants if you need to and they can help you with positioning of your baby so they aren't pushing on your tummy. It wasn't an issue for me, but the nurses suggested trying the football hold so baby doesn't lie on your tummy.

The restrictions for me were no driving for 2 weeks and no heavy lifting (anything heavier than baby) for 6 weeks. It has been very difficult not being able to pick up my daughter. I have told her that mommy has a boo boo and she seems to understand but it is still difficult. I did have to pick her up on Friday night because she was throwing a tantrum. BIG mistake! I have been feeling really good, but I was hurting again after picking her up. So, my advice is don't do any heavy lifting even if you are feeling good and think you can.

September 20th, 2010, 06:33 AM
*MomofO&Nat*'s Avatar Kelly, Massachusetts Mama
Oh, I totally get how you feel! It is a very scary thought to go in for surgery, but you will do fine! My first was emergency, so I had no time to think about it. I had my second last week, and it was a lot more build-up/anxiety cause I knew what was coming. It helped me to just keep telling myself so many others had gone through it, it is fairly routine and I will be ok as will the baby. I tried not to think or research too much about complications cause it just would freak me out. Here is how mine went last Tuesday:
-got to hospital @ 530am, nurses started prepping me for surgery: put in IV for fluid, give mild antacids for stomach, then drink a bitter tasting 'shot' of meds that are also for the stomach
-they shave you 'down there' a bit so incision is easier to make
-they monitor baby, vitals the whole time
-anesthesia comes in, takes med. history, discusses spinal process
-give Dad gown, hat, etc. to put on
-I walked into OR, my DH comes in later after they have me prepped
-I sat on edge of table, they gave me spinal, it was freezing in there but they wrapped me in a warm blanket and the nurses hold you to keep you from shaking
-Spinal burns going in a bit but not awful, you get a slow warm sensation starting in butt and then slowly down your legs
-it takes a while to get completely numb, they will check you many times to make SURE you feel nothing before starting
-they start and you have no idea, a sheet is up and you feel nothing
-they tell you you will feel pressure on your lungs, this is when they are pulling baby to take out, this is the worst part, you get oxygen mask and just breath through it, try to focus on hearing the baby cry soon to get past the scary part
-baby is out, they show you quickly and then take her/him to clean up
-Dad goes with baby, you stay to get sewn back up, WORST is over!
-you go to recovery for an hour or so, they monitor vitals and such
-you get cleared to go up to post-partum floor, they roll you up there and baby/dad come with
-they put compression bags on feet to decrease swelling, still feeling nothing, numb chest down
-when spinal starts to wear off, you are itchy everywhere. You start to feel dull pain, it increases. They start pain meds as needed.
-they come in to get you up to sitting, it is the worst the first time, it gets easier each time. I was very afraid to stand, they don't push you but it is good to move, even though it is hard.
-Each time you move, stand it gets easier.
-By Day 2 I was able to stand, walk 3-4 steps to chair and sit, go back to bed.
-By Day 3, I could walk to bathroom with help and back, by end of Day 3 I could do it myself
-By d/c day, I could walk halls slow with binder on (velcro thing they put on like corset to hold you in)
-I was vocal about when I needed pain meds, they were very accomodating.
-You have to pass gas to be moved from liquid diet (broth, jello) to solids. Ask for a suppository to speed this along, eating makes the experience there a lot better!
-I showered Day 2 with help, this helped me feel human again. Ask when you can shower, it will really make a difference, trust me!
I hope this helps, I have to run and feed baby now. Good luck!!
Natalie Laura (9/14/10)
Harrison Dean (2/22/13)
Proud Member of the September 2010 Playroom

September 20th, 2010, 07:18 AM
mothra's Avatar Martha
With my first I was so exhausted and out of it that I don't remember many details of the actual surgery, other than being really shaky and it taking a while to get stitched up. They gave my son right to hubby to have alone time while I got put back together. As soon as I was wheeled into the recovery room they gave the baby to me for skin to skin contact and first breastfeeding attempts. I remember it being a while before I could feel my legs. They had me up sometime the next day (he was born at night) but wouldn't let me shower for a couple more days which was torture because I felt sooooo gross.

One thing I recommend is to bulk up on a good iron supplement like Floridix (I'm taking it now) because blood loss during surgery can make you anemic pretty easily and slow down your healing/recovery. I went into my last section pretty anemic and they kept threatening a blood transfusion. Thankfully I avoided that but it really contributed to my "wow was I hit by a truck?" feeling. I'm determined to recover better this time so I'm taking the iron thing seriously.

For me the pain was really awful for a long time, I'll be honest. I know it's because I went into it after 2 days of hard labor though, I was totally spent. I'm sure it'll be different this time having it planned. I was taking percocet and motrin. I turned out to be allergic to the percocet though so I just used the motrin and it actually helped a lot better for me anyway. I don't remember being given restrictions on driving or sex or anything, just to avoid lifting much.

September 20th, 2010, 07:48 AM
OwensMommy25's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was able to breastfeed baby minuets after I was in recovery, I guess hospitals are different. Daddy and baby never left my side for a second!

If you can I would request a spinal not an epidural. I've had both and felt much better after the spinal.
Don't rush yourself in recovery, take it easy, do yourself a favor and get as much help as you can.
It will take you a good 3 weeks to feel like yourself again.

Good luck

Thanks to Pattyandthemoos For the wonderful siggy!

September 20th, 2010, 08:28 AM
missmich
Since you know you're having a section try to prepare yourself a little for it. Arrange for someone to come home after and help with the housework stuff or cooking. You can also cook and freeze a few meals for the first week or so after you get home.

It seems like they do things a little differently in each hospital. I didn't get the compression pack or anything like that. A lot of the things are the same though. It's also different for each person. I really don't have much pain at all and it's only been 6 days now.

I was lifted onto the bed and rolled down the hall to the OR and lifted onto the OR bed. A cath had been put in and I was shaved just before that and the epi was put in. I felt a prick and he said ok now it's burning,burning,burning.... and I waited for the burn and didn't feel it at all. I suggest if you do feel a burning then do some deep in and out slow breathing.

In the OR they will probably lay you out like Jesus Christ on the cross! lol One arm one each side on it's own little table. You'll probably have the IV with fluids in one arm and the other the BP cuff.I shook the whole time. I was cold,tired, nervous and all sorts of emotions. My shoulders also hurt from being in that position. I had the warm blankets on my arms.

I felt groggy and closed my eyes,they were so tired. This was probably b/c I'd been laboring for a good 2 days before this and was exhausted and full of many mixed emotions by then. So you may not have this problem.

They told me the nurses are washing me now and it's cold. That's all I could feel. I felt they were rolling some cold stuff on me with a paint roller. I felt pins and needles below the waist.

My doula was with me the whole time looking into my eyes and talking to me,you can have your DH or whoever with you by your side.

They put a sheet up so I couldn't see a thing,but in some places you can watch on a mirror.

When they take the baby out they will tell you and moments later you should hear him or her cry. If all is well they wrap him and bring him to your cheek for a few minutes. My boy had pooped so they took him to a table and cleaned and suctioned him off then brought him to me. I didn't hold him though,my doula did. I just kissed and smelled him. I was to shaky and couldn't move much.

I was in recovery for about an hour and I think was brought ice chips,I was so thirsty. Again this may have been b/c I'd been working so long and hard before. You may or may not be as thirsty as I was. I had some IV fluids in as well for about the next 18-24 hours maybe. I'm told I was given a supostory to help with the pain of making a caca later on.

I was then brought to my room and my son brought to me. I fed him and help him and had a short visit with my doulas and the nurses. Then they took him to the nursery since in my hospital they don't allow a c-section mama alone with her baby for the first 18 hours after,for safety reasons since I was so groggy and really couldn't move. I think if your DH is with you they will allow baby to stay with you though.

I think about 18 hours later the nurse took out the cath. I looked at my legs and feet for the first time and was like OMG what the heck happened? They were like 4 times bigger then normal. It's ok though,it happens. The nurse told me when I feel the urge to pee to let her know and she will help me to the bathroom. Do NOT get up and go on your own. You'll be dizzy and groggy and need help waling to the bathroom. Get up slowly and carefully. Take the nurses hand if you need to and hold the IV stand. They will also want to measure how much pee you made. I didn't pee the first time,the second time though there was a little pee and the 3rd time there was a lot and all the pees felt soooo good!

You may get a few more supositories over the next 24 hours. Drink lots of water and juice and try to drink the nasty V8 they bring with meals. It does help make a nice soft caca. When you feel the urge to make a caca go slowly and just let it come on it;s own and don't strain. Use the peri bottle to rinse off your bottom,yes both bottom parts after you use the bathroom. This is what I was told do to do.

You will probably be super hungry! I wanted real food and they brought me broth,beef broth that I couldn't even try to eat since I'm a vegetarian. So I think I just drank the juice and had some water and maybe some jello. Eat slow,whatever you do eat.

When you're able to pee on your own,ask for help if you need it getting in and out of bed and take it slow. When you feel a bit better do go for short walks around the room or the hallway. I was alone so I walked near the walls so I can hang on to the wall rails. Hold onto your DH though if he's there.

BF'ing ac-section baby takes a little longer to get used to I think. Also the hospital isn't that comfy at times to BF in. So if baby doesn't get a good latch or it takes a while or BF'ing is good one day and bad the next don't worry and keep trying.

They took off the bandage a couple days after,actually I was scared so I asked if I could take a shower and take it off with water running over it. They said sure and I asked for a shower seat so I could sit if I felt I needed to. Some hospitals don't allow this though. If you want something that hasn't been offered to you ask for it anyway and see if they can allow it. They just might. the day before I left they took out the staples and that was scary! It didn't hurt though,they said it may pinch a little bit. A couple felt sorta like when my cat gives me a claw by accident. Not bad at all.

On the drive home my belly jiggled and it didn't feel that great. I held it to ease that. You may want to use a belly band or hold a towel against you. I was ok yesterday in the car though. Oh and I'm afraid to cough so I hold my belly and cough in a gentle way. The first few days it was tender when I coughed.
September 20th, 2010, 10:37 AM
CA-mommy-to-be's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto to all the posters above!!!

My advice is to take it slow. It is difficult to get around for the first few days. I highly recommend asking to talk to a lactation consultant while in the hospital. It was extremely helpful to be shown BF positions that kept my LO off the incision area.

Welcomed daughter Miranda on December 18, 2013

Never doubt someone's passion. I'm a women engineer and proud of it!

September 20th, 2010, 12:49 PM
missmich
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA-mommy-to-be View Post
Ditto to all the posters above!!!

My advice is to take it slow. It is difficult to get around for the first few days. I highly recommend asking to talk to a lactation consultant while in the hospital. It was extremely helpful to be shown BF positions that kept my LO off the incision area.
I found the foot ball hold was a great way to keep baby off my sore area.
September 20th, 2010, 05:19 PM
CA-mommy-to-be's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmich View Post
I found the foot ball hold was a great way to keep baby off my sore area.
I agree!

Welcomed daughter Miranda on December 18, 2013

Never doubt someone's passion. I'm a women engineer and proud of it!

September 20th, 2010, 07:14 PM
klsfl10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
All I remember from the c-section is the bone-chilling temp in the hallway while they moved me from one gurney to another and the next thing I remember is DBF waking me up (yes, apparently I snored through the surgery, lol) to show me Logan.

But the advice I'd give is to walk around when you can as much as possible. Apparently it helps move the bowels and the fact that I wasn't walking at all made things worse. Plus, my nurses had a hot tea, ginger ale and prune juice concoction that really helped with the constipation. IDK if that's standard in hossy's or no but if so definitely use it! It tasted good and was a big help.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search