Mixing up days and nights

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 20th, 2010, 06:27 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Betsy sleeps for the majority of the day -- big, heavy, deep sleeps. She gets up every 2 - 3 hours to nurse and then falls right back to sleep. This goes on all day -- occasionally, I can keep her awake for a little while and we play.

Then, at about 9 pm, she really wakes up. She's super alert, super aware, and wants to check everything out. The first 2 - 3 hours has involved me trying to get her to fall asleep, which doesn't happen. Then, after her midnight-ish feeding, she quiets down.....but then she's getting up every 1.5 hours to nurse.

I was having some c-section pain last night, so last night I just let her hang out (I couldn't walk around and soothe her). I brought her over to the couch with me and let her look around -- no worries, I was wide awake and wasn't going to let her sleep on the couch with me). Then, after a couple of hours, she ate and took her next scheduled nap.

I've tried to keep the daytime well lit and "loud" while the nighttime has been dark and quiet. I try to keep quiet at night when I change her and try not to talk to her (which is hard because she is so alert and you can tell wants to "play"). One day she was wide awake at 5 pm, so DH and I tried to wear her out and we kept her up with the hopes that she'd fall asleep -- that plan backfired as she stayed up until 3 am!

Any advice? I'm getting some sleep, but it's barely enough. The only good thing is that she usually isn't crying during the evening (well, so long as Betsy gets what Betsy wants that is!).
September 20th, 2010, 06:30 AM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
for the first bit that's way they say "sleep when your baby sleeps" aka during the day it's normal and usually if you keep doing those things they correct their schedule ...in utero she was asleep when you where active and moving about and it was loud - b/c that's comforting to them...and then when you were sleeping at night and it was quite she was awake kicking about. She'll change her schedule - it just takes a little time.
September 20th, 2010, 06:40 AM
kellbri2005's Avatar Veteran
I am having the same problem with Brielle. She sleeps most of the day. She starts getting more alert and awake around 7pm and on. I wake her every 3 hours during the day to eat but she falls right back to sleep. My pediatrician says this is normal for newborns and eventually they will figure it out. I have noticed now that she is almost 3 weeks, she is staying awake during the day a bit more. At night, we have a horrible situation......COLIC. We can't get her to go down and stop crying until well after midnight and than she wakes herself up three hours later to eat.

I remember when I was pregnant with her she was very active in my belly so I had a feeling I would have a night owl.

BRIELLE ANNE/ 8/31/10/ 7LBS 80Z
September 20th, 2010, 07:05 AM
ginnkneephur's Avatar Rainbows and Sunshine
*hugs* You are doing it exactly right. It took Zakkary almost 6 weeks to get it together and change his schedule.

It sounds like Betsy and Geni are on the same schedule. She sleeps all day and my belly starts bouncing around 9pm. I KNOW that's how it will be when she arrives as well.

Keep doing EXACTLY what you have been and it will eventually get straightened out. Just make sure you take naps during the day.

September 20th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Same here lol. I am glad I am not alone. I can't complain, Milan is a great sleeper. So far I have had two tough nights otherwise he eats every 3 hours. He is just like Betsy, 8 - 9 pm is his active time, or even if he sleeps he wants to be held. I have DH take him for those couple of hours because I try to get a jump start on my sleep so that I can last through the night. I also try to take one nap during the day and it seems to be working for now.

Good luck Amy. I hope Acorn flips her schedule soon

Thanks Claire1979 for my awesome siggy.
September 20th, 2010, 09:58 AM
~SavedbyGrace~'s Avatar ~Nichole~
Same boat here!! I'm making it my goal this week to not let her deep sleep during the day, to the best of my ability anyway! I know she will get on a normal schedual eventually, I'm just hoping sooner than later!! My son slept like a champ pretty much from birth so this is all new to me!
September 20th, 2010, 11:17 AM
LifenTheFastLane's Avatar Mommy 2 Rhys~Rhylee~Jessa
I am so jealous of you ladies . Naps? What's that! Lol dh leaves for work for another 2 weeks tonight and with jessa, my 3 & 5 yr old I am getting no sleep I don't get to go to bed till midnight then jessa wakes up at 1am takes about 45mins to feed. Change n get her back to sleep so I'm back asleep by 2 if I'm lucky and then she wakes up around 4 and doesn't go back to sleep till 530 or so then I have to wake ip at 630 for the day to get everyone up and my son ready for school and take him etc, so I'm getting around 3 hrs of sleep a day. I'm not complaining my baby is completely worth it but I can't wait till she sleeps thru the night lol like a 6hr stretch
September 20th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Super Mommy
DITTO. Aubrey tends to go 3hours during the day, but wakes to feed every 2.5 at night. Her awake time is usually from 9p-12a. Can't really complain because she usually goes back to sleep after eating, which is more than I can say for DS. His nights were horrible. Hopefully these sweetpeas will figure it out soon.

September 20th, 2010, 03:31 PM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
You are doing everything right Amy. We just have to "train" our babies when to wake up.
It's hard, I know, but you are working on having a great little awake girl during the day.

Luke only has his "awake" times during the day, but his eating is backwards. He will go 4 hours during the day, even when awake, without eating, but at night he is up and fussing every 2 hours. Now he falls immediately back to sleep, so there is no complaining on my end. I just wish he'd switch his eating schedules to match his awake schedule.

I tried feeding him every 2 hours regardless during the day, but that backfired on me. He became too sleepy to eat and wasn't finishing his nursing and wanted to eat every hour after that. I pooh poohed that effort quickly. I asked my ped what a "normal" amount of awake time is during the day and he said, "As much as he wants". So we are keeping all lights on high, dogs can bark without a reprimand, TV is on the food channel, and I am talking non stop to no one just to signal it is daytime. We turn on one night light at night and I don't say a word when we have our night feedings. I give lots of kisses and snuggles, but no talking. I usually nurse him or rock him back to sleep before putting him back in the bassinet.

Good luck, keep on keeping on! Betsy will get it soon, I promise.

September 20th, 2010, 05:06 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Thanks. Since my mom was over today, I was able to take a two hour, uninterrupted nap, so at least I got some some sleep. I thought for sure she was going to wake up and "play" just now, but alas, she has drifted back off to sleepytown. We'll just keep plugging away at this -- I'll take the mix up over colic any day. (And Kelli, I'm sorry you're dealing with that right now!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search