Fussy Baby question... Could it be formula related? Or something else?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 20th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Lauraubie's Avatar Super Mommy
So my sweet Gabby was an easy baby up until oh probably 3-4 days ago. lol... Then probably 3-4 days ago (She turned 2 weeks on Friday 17th) she has become a very fussy baby at times. She can't seem to get comfortable and she is screaming her poor little head off. Nothing is working... swaddling... swing... cuddling... laying her down... pacifier... She will settle for like 5 minutes and start to doze off then she abruptly wakes up and screeeeeaaaammm! Then you calm her down and she does it again and again and again! The last couple days she has been like this everyday from roughly 8-11pm. Today she was like this most of the afternoon.

Formula
We started her on Similac Advanced formula at the hospital. She did fine with it... no problems... good burper. She has now started spitting up after bottles... some times... not every bottle. And not too much spit up, just a little bit. She has become harder to burp when she finishes the bottle. During the bottle she will burp a couple times... but now she won't always give me that final burp, no matter how long I try.

So my question is... should we switch formula? Or is it too soon to switch? (I don't want to switch her back and forth) Could that have something to do with her fussiness? Could it be because she isn't burping that last burp? Or could it be something else? I am getting frustrated FAST!

Custom Photo Cards & Invitations ~ Peek at my Website ~ Like me on Facebook

Last edited by Lauraubie; September 20th, 2010 at 03:27 PM.
September 20th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
A nurse told me that it is probably gas when Milan woke up screaming. In your case I would also consider acid reflux ( a colleague of mine described her baby similar to yours and he thinks she has acid reflux ). I am sorry I am no help with suggestions about formulas..
I hope she feels better soon

Thanks Claire1979 for my awesome siggy.
September 20th, 2010, 04:06 PM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
Send a message via AIM to mt23hc
Oh no! Could it be colic? Maybe try this before switching formula Colic Calm Gripe Water, Natural Relief of Infant Colic, Gas and Reflux

If she has reflux watch for screaming, back arching, constant swallowing/gagging, spit up or vomiting!
September 20th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydensmomma7407 View Post
Oh no! Could it be colic?
I thought about that too... but didn't want to mention the C word lol...

September 20th, 2010, 04:25 PM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauraubie View Post
I thought about that too... but didn't want to mention the C word lol...
Sorry sweetie, I love & swear by Dr. Sears...
COPING WITH COLIC

DOES YOUR BABY HAVE COLIC? HOW TO TELL

If you wonder whether or not you have a colicky baby – you don't. The agonizing outbursts of inconsolable crying leave no doubt that your baby hurts. While no one knows the cause, or even the exact definition of colic, pediatricians tag an apparently healthy, thriving infant with "colic" if the baby follows what is called the "Rule of Threes." The episodes of inconsolable crying:

* Begin within the first three weeks of life
* Last at least three hours a day
* Occur at least three days a week
* Continue for at least three weeks
* Seldom last longer than three months

Sometimes when parents think that they have a colicky baby, I'll send them to visit some members of the "colic club" – parents in our practice who truly do have colicky babies. They often return relieved, saying, "We don't have a colicky baby after all."
September 20th, 2010, 05:21 PM
It seems that everything I read on colic says that the baby cries "non-stop"... Gabby isn't crying non-stop technically... she cries and then stops... and then cries and stops... and this goes on for several hours. Sometimes 5 minutes in between, sometimes longer periods than that of calm. Does anyone know if this cry-stop-cry-stop is a clue for colic... or do colicky babies literally cry NON-STOP for hours... with no rest in between?

The good news for tonight... its 8pm and she is NOT crying YET... of course my husband is holding her... he has yet to see one of these episodes... I think he thinks I am crazy... or exaggerating lol...

September 20th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Kenya's Avatar Expecting #2
We're in the same boat right now... Except Olivia is crying from 1 or 2 pm-10pm off and on. She'll sleep for an hour or two at times and sleeps through the night just fine. Otherwise, she's crying. We're doing gas drops right now because she's grunting and straining like she's constipated but she doesn't have pebble poos.
@ 2:55pm

6lbs - 10.7oz, 20 1/4 in long

Team Blue for Baby 2! Due in April

September 20th, 2010, 06:45 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
SIMILAC is NOT NICE!!!! sorry to be in bold.... but we had 6 weeks of pure h e l l on similac with my first son (start stop screaming)..... when we switched him to Good Start it was like the sky opened up and the sun shone again.... my son still had issues but it was a different world!!!

doe she poop a fair bit... or crying when pooping??? Logan didn't and that was alot of his problem... he had anal stenous (sp)..... but that is awhole other story... if she is crying when pooping let me know i will tell you the story

i hope it gets better and i would try switching it really can make a huge difference!!!
September 20th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Frangipani's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Is it only from 8-11 that she is crying/cranky (except for today)? Rowan is like that-he seems to just not settle down from around 4p-7p or 8p or so. I asked the pediatrician about it and she said that most babies actually tend to have a cranky time of day when they are fussy and don't really want to go down for a nap.

Is she arching her back a lot? I know that is supposed to be a sign of reflux. IDK, it seems that if it's only one period of time that she is cranky and she seems to tolerate the formula otherwise, maybe it's something else.

Is she gassy? Have you tried Mylicon drops?

Sorry this is so disjointed, just trying to think of everything I've gone through with DS!

OH! the other thing I realized is that Rowan really HATES his diaper to be dirty at all and really lets me know pretty quickly. He has a little case of diaper rash and I think that's just making him mad when he poops/pees now.

I can't think of anything else! Good luck!
September 20th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Thank you girls for your ideas! I have spent all night online (while I should be working) trying to get some direction.

As far as pooping... she is not struggling with that at all. Not constipated by any means. I think she poops a lot... but what is a lot for a 2 week old? Today I think I changed 3-4 poopy diapers. No crying when she goes or anything like that.

Other than today it was 8-11pm the last 3 days. Other than those 3 hours you can see a little baby halo floating above her head. Her "normal" temperament is easy peasy. She hardly cries (normally!). Yesterday for example we went on a train ride... after about 7 hours of the longest train ride in history (don't get me started) she cried for less than a minute. She was so quiet the entire time that when she cried for that minute I heard a lady in the back of the train say... oh wow, that baby does cry! That is "typical" Gabby.

We have been watching her tonight and thinking about the last couple days... after reading online about reflux...
She is arching her back.
Yesterday on the train I noticed that she sounded congested... like in her chest (but its gone now?). (She does seem like she is always trying to clear her throat.)
She spits up, but its not too much. And its not after every bottle.
She is fussy but its not all day (except for today)
She seems to prefer sleeping upright in her swing... when we put her in the crib she wakes and at the most sleeps for an hour, AT MOST... This is also "new".
She gets the hiccups after almost every bottle (I don't know if this is something)

We have been keeping her upright for feedings & after for the last couple days since the spit-ups started. I suspected acid reflux a couple days ago and read to do that.

Dumb question... how do you know if the baby is gassy and needs Mylicon? Like gas, farting? Or tummy gas? I obviously know how to tell farting... but tummy gas?

If it is acid reflux I guess I don't understand how she can be fine allllll day but then at night is melting down. Wouldn't you think that they would be in pain all the time? IDK.... I know nothing about this.

Last edited by Lauraubie; September 20th, 2010 at 08:06 PM.
September 21st, 2010, 07:04 AM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I swear by probiotics! You should give it a try. You can get some that are specially made for babies. I am breastfeeding and take them every night.

September 21st, 2010, 07:52 AM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
Mylicon won't hurt, you can try & if it helps then you know thats the answer...

If she has reflux you would notice it with each feeding.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search