In light of a recent tragedy on babycenter...

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 20th, 2010, 03:56 PM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
Send a message via AIM to mt23hc
ladies, lets remember how important we are and how our advice and words of encouragement may truly be exactly what someone needs...

Two weeks ago a woman on Babycenter asked for help with insomnia and PPD. Her threads pretty much went unanswered. She took her own life 5 days later leaving behind a DH, a 3 week old DD and a 3 year old DD.

So heartbreaking and preventable. I am overwhelmed with sadness for this family.

I appreciate all of the support I have received here and will make an even bigger effort to answer prayer threads and vents of those in need.

One of her threads:
I have insomnia while everyone else is sleeping! HELP! - August 2010 Birth Club - BabyCenter

Her DH's thread:
Posting this in my wife's memory - August 2010 Birth Club - BabyCenter

Newspaper article:
Kari Lynn Finholm Hawkaluk
September 20th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Lauraubie's Avatar Super Mommy
OMG... that is so very sad. Thanks for sharing.

Custom Photo Cards & Invitations ~ Peek at my Website ~ Like me on Facebook
September 20th, 2010, 04:17 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
So tragic. It's hard enough to admit that you are struggling and having problems.....and then to have your posts ignored.....it's so sad.
September 20th, 2010, 04:18 PM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
Send a message via AIM to mt23hc
If there is anyone reading this right now feeling anywhere close to the same way, please call your doctor, go to the ER, tell your SO, call a friend, call your mom, PM me, do SOMETHING, because you CAN feel better. You NEED to feel better.

YouTube - Why I Jumped

Last edited by mt23hc; September 20th, 2010 at 04:21 PM.
September 20th, 2010, 04:37 PM
~SavedbyGrace~'s Avatar ~Nichole~
Wow, that is so very very sad and depressing. thanks for sharing......i'm just in shock!
September 20th, 2010, 04:43 PM
MonkeyBugMommy's Avatar Brooke
Send a message via Yahoo to MonkeyBugMommy
This has me crying. I've become stressed and overwhelmed, but never to that point. That poor girl and her poor family.
September 20th, 2010, 04:44 PM
missmich
That is very sad. I don't like babycenter b.c it's so big and not well organized and posts do often go unnoticed b/c you can't find them later on. I like forums like this one and others that are organized in a similar way b/c if you have trouble within one board you can visit another board for the same problem and get different advice that can help.

I know that PPD can effect anyone no matter what their situation is. Others,like those who have suffered regular depression,someone with an unplanned pregnancy or are a single mama it can hit harder. So I'm always being told by everyone to have a good support system and to ask for help and have been given lots of numbers of places that will help me.
September 20th, 2010, 04:51 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Oh my gosh. This took my breath away. Poor, poor family. I agree, gals, if there is EVER a need to vent away, you can always use the secret garden. We're here for one another, and with our vast backgrounds, there can always be some idea that my be the answer.

I just feel for this poor family. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
September 20th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Kayla0308's Avatar Veteran
OMG thats so horrible! I can't even imagin the pain her family is going through.

Mark and Kayla
Jasmine-7, Eamon-4, Zaylee-1
September 20th, 2010, 05:06 PM
ardisbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

glad we've got each other, I can't imagine one of us asking for help and nobody responding!

September 20th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Justjessie's Avatar Really Just Angela
Thanks for the reminder...and it's why I try to post a lot...so everyone has something said to whatever they've taken the time to post.

And yes, if you aren't happy...get help...there's no shame in that!
September 20th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Super Mommy
This is really upsetting and her poor family. I know I don't post that much, but I truely appreciate the replies when I do post. I really just enjoy the "company" I get to come on here and see what others have to say. This was a reality check!

September 20th, 2010, 05:20 PM
twoboys's Avatar photography co-host!!
I am just lurking here.. This made me cry, its so very sad, absolutely heartbreaking..
September 20th, 2010, 05:56 PM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
Thank you for the reminder to pay attention when people need help. That is so incredibly sad.

September 20th, 2010, 06:14 PM
mothra's Avatar Martha
Sooo heartbreaking, I just shared this with DH while I read it and he shuddered, such a shocking thing to wrap your head around. I can't imagine what that poor family is going through

September 20th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is devestating!!!! I am so so sorry to hear that. How awful. But what a great reminder. The support and advice and women here are so great. My heart breaks for her family. So unfortunate.

September 20th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Frangipani's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardisbaby View Post

glad we've got each other, I can't imagine one of us asking for help and nobody responding!
I agree. I can't imagine one of us asking for help and no one responding. I am really thankful that I have this amazing group of women to ask questions to, and for support.
September 20th, 2010, 07:11 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
i am so sad for them
and i am glad that with this group we everyone gets support... thank u for reminding us to take care of each other
September 20th, 2010, 07:50 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
PPD is such a REAL disease.........I experienced it with my last 2 kids (not Mia) in my first marriage. There were nights when I wanted to crawl out of my own body, just to escape the depression. I do account alot of it to a bad marriage, but the ppd was trully almost unbarible. I did seek help, both times, thank god. I had horrible thoughts, could not get them to go away........when I told my sister, she pushed me to get medical help. By the time my kids were 2-3months old, it went away on its own. Please do seek help, if not for yourself, for your children.

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

September 20th, 2010, 07:56 PM
GeeDee's Avatar Veteran
Very tragic

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search