Gassy baby...

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 20th, 2010, 04:59 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
It's not colic, and it's not reflux... but it is gas. He has a few fits, not lasting long, but it takes a lot of energy to get the bubbles out of his system one way or another. We are strictly BF, but he's still pretty gassy. I'm trying Gripe Water to help with the gas, but am wondering if there's something else I can do to ease the gas for him? I know there's plenty of options for adults (like Gas Ex before meals) but what can you do for a newborn? Are there options beside gripe water that may help?

I am not sure if the gripe water is helping or not, but I'm using it for the next couple days to see how well it works on easing his tummy.

He's really not fussy much, but you can tell when it's time for him to burp, toot, or poop because he strains and turns red and makes wild faces and is quite vocal for a few minutes, then he does his business and is at peace again. DD never struggled with all the gassiness like this, so it's new to me!

Poor little guy!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
September 20th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Super Mommy
Gwynne have you tried changing your diet? DD had a couple rough nights with the same symptoms. I changed up what I was eating and it seemed to help. No caffeine after lunch and bland foods. Also limited dairy products. She is still a big grunter though. She almost sounds like a man Good Luck

September 20th, 2010, 05:25 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Ashley,

I certainly thought about it. I know 2 days ago, it was probably turkey that contributed to this, and so cut that out. I don't eat onions or other things that seem they would easily contribute. I wonder about dairy... I eat a LOT of dairy, always have, but if nothing else works, I may have to cut it out Oh well! Anything to make him more comfortable!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
September 20th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Super Mommy
Agreed anything for a happy baby that SLEEPS!!! Good Luck.

September 20th, 2010, 05:55 PM
erinelizabeth83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You could also try Mylicon. It works pretty well if the problem is simply gas.

September 20th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Meggie26's Avatar Megan
Send a message via MSN to Meggie26
I thought I was alone on this.

Kierson is strictly BF and we were up from 11pm until 4am because he apparently nursed himself to the max and made himself really full. Of course, I didn't have gas drops because I didn't think I would need them. I never did with Elliana.

However, I tried everything possible to soothe Kierson but nothing seemed to do the trick. He kept spitting up, had hiccups, his belly was really hard, he just was not a happy baby. I put him in his swing several times, tried rocking and cuddling him, walking around with him, etc. He just was NOT soothed in any way possible.

So, today I went and bought gas drops, so IF we have this problem again tonight, hopefully the drops make a difference.

September 20th, 2010, 06:02 PM
pbcups10's Avatar Super Mommy
I also had this issue and changed my diet... no dairy, chocolate, limited caffeine, no spicy foods... very bland diet overall. It stinks but baby is a lot happier and me too since I'm getting some sleep!

September 20th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Wifey2Jordan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are dealing with this as well. I changed my diet, just like pbcups, and its helping alot. He still has his fussy moments, and he turns red and grunts, but i've seen a really big improvement. I hope it doesn't last long, I miss my dairy!
September 21st, 2010, 07:11 AM
Lauraubie's Avatar Super Mommy
This might be a dumb question, but how can you tell if your baby is gassy? Not farting... obviously I know how to tell that! But tummy gassy... how can you tell? If I am not sure and I give her the drops can it hurt or or bother her tummy more?

Custom Photo Cards & Invitations ~ Peek at my Website ~ Like me on Facebook
September 21st, 2010, 07:46 AM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
Send a message via AIM to mt23hc
Mylicon doesn't work well for Cohen but my neighbor SWEARS by it. Cohen' ped said he could have it with each feeding.
September 21st, 2010, 10:37 AM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We use gas drops as well and I think it's working, but I'm going to change up my diet a bit as well.

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search