Gestational Diabetes Anyone? And Update !

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 6th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Veteran
Hey Everyone! Even though I havent been posting much I have still been checking in I went for my glucose test right before I hit 28 weeks... they said they only call back if you fail... so days passed and I didnt hear anything .... so i figured I was in the clear....Nope thought wrong... Dr called and said i FAILED.... She said they wont be sending me to the 3 hour since my 1 hour level was so high. So at my next appt we talked and I told her im still not feeling the baby ( she told me prior, that some woman just dont feel the baby) and also because I have a anterior placenta that could be why too. So she sent me over that day for a ultrasound because of not feeling movement and the GD.... everything looked great on the ultrasound... baby girl is kicking and moving around lol im just not feeling it! She is measuring really big though, at 28 weeks 4 days she was 3lbs 9 oz and also 3-4 weeks ahead. She was also practicing breathing the ultrasound tech pointed out to us So the Dr. is hoping to keep my gestational diabetes under control with diet, and so far so good but she told me that could change the farther along I get.... I have to eat 3 meals a day and 3 snacks...also did the 3 hour gestational class where they talk about GD, and tell you all about pricking your finger and had a dietician made a meal plan for me. I go back on the 18th for another ultrasound to see how she is measuring and my Dr. said once 32 weeks hit I will be doing 2 NST's a week. My dr seems to me trying to prepare me for everything...which is good.

Sorry this is so long I went on and on haha... So is anyone else dealing with gestational diabetes?

Hope all is well with everyone

Jessica

October 6th, 2010, 02:56 PM
kitkat's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm glad your able to control the GD with diet and that your LO is practicing breathing. Hopefully all will go well from now on.

I just took my 1 hour on Friday and doc said she would call if I failed. After reading your post, I think I will call her just to check.

October 6th, 2010, 04:12 PM
mommy*tired's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad the baby looks well! Hang in there with the diet! Not too much longer.
October 6th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Veteran
I'm dealing with gestational diabetes too!

Failed my 1 hour, then took and failed my 3 hour . I met with the endocrinologist and dietician 2 weeks ago and have been following the diet and checking my blood sugar four times a day since then.

I'm one of the lucky ones - out of 56 or so blood sugar numbers in the last 2 weeks, I've only had 2 that were higher than what they told me to shoot for, and those were by less than 5 points. So the diet is working for me, and the midwife said that with those numbers, I shouldn't have any complications. But, they probably won't let me go past my due date, and they'll start doing NST's at my regular appointments.

DH is a type 1 diabetic, so it's nice having someone around who knows about carbs. But, my brothers are teasing us - they're saying that he gave me an STD: sexually transmitted diabetes! Which when you think about it, he kind of did!
October 6th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Super Mommy
Sounds like your doc is right on top of it, that's great! I had my screening Monday and despite their "no news is good news", I'm thinking I will call just to make sure also.

FUNNY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgirl View Post
they're saying that he gave me an STD: sexually transmitted diabetes! Which when you think about it, he kind of did!

October 6th, 2010, 05:46 PM
want1baby's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to want1baby
i also have gd.I found out early due to having it last pregnancy also.I was able to take the glyburide and control my diet last time.This time I was not after several dosage changes I have been put on insulin.I have a big baby as well.at my 27 week ultrasound he measured 30 weeks.I can't wait until my 32 wk ultrasound to see what it shows.measuring with the tape last week he was right on target.I also have IC so I'm on bedrest until 37 weeks if I don't beliver before then.if I make it that far the plan is for a 39 week induction.His increased size may push that up a bit.

[URL="http://[URL]http://www.widdlytinks.com"][/URL. /URL]]
Photo Tinks by WiddlyTinks.com

Make a pregnancy ticker

[url=http://pregnancy.baby-gaga.com/]

October 7th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Juneleigh's Avatar Veteran
I was just diagnosed with GD, only when the doctor talked to me about my numbers, she said they were just a little higher than normal so she was going to recommend me to the clinic to talk about diet and excersize, etc. When I went to the clinic, I was told I am considered to have full-blown GD and have to test my blood 4 times a day. I was totally shocked because I didn't expect this. I'm going to my doc again today and am going to ask to take a second test, just to be sure, and if it's off again I won't complain, but if it's fine, then I'm not dealing with the stress. In the meantime, I am watching my diet and have checked my numbers and they are always perfectly fine.

Just a side note, when your doc measures baby and it's measuring bigger than average, sometimes they can be wrong. I have heard too many stories of friends etc, who had baby's measured at 10-12 pounds, and they end up being 8 pounds, some having had unnecessary c-sections. You have a right to try to have a natural birth, even if doctor says baby is big. Then, if it's just not working, you have options at that point.
October 7th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I supposedly have GD as well, and they did the same with me on the 3-hr test. My 1 hr was 170, and they sent me to a dietician/nutritionist instead of even doing the 3-hr. I have yet to have a bad reading in the last 2 weeks, and my little girl is right where she is supposed to be at 29 weeks! I guess I have a mild case.
October 7th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i have to take the 3hr again tomorrow (passed when i did it at 15wks) so i'll let you know after that! BUT i had GD with my last pregnancy & it was very easily controlled with diet - just took some getting used to.

October 14th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I wanted to give you a heads up that I originally failed my 1 hr test and they did not want to give me the 3 hr test. I demanded it, and what do you know I passed just fine! I would call your dr and have them give you the 3 hr, just to make sure, it can't hurt. My thoughts on the matter were I didn't want to be wronglly diagnosed with something that I didn't have. Good Luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search