Announcing Charlotte Aubrey

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 7th, 2010, 04:44 PM
J9+J+C=Complete's Avatar Charlotte & Jacob's Mommy
Quick story while Charlotte takes a nap I had Back to School Night the night before my scheduled Csection. I was determined to stand beside my long term sub and to make it up until that point. B2S night began at 7 and was over by 9. Of course, I was very excited/nervous about the next morning at 8 am and could NOT sleep. I finally fell asleep around 2 am. I woke up again at 2:58 to what I thought was cramping. I quickly realized that these were contractions and started timing. They were pretty consistantly 10 minutes apart. Around 5 am, they got to about 7 or 8 minutes apart. At this point, I knew I was not going to go to sleep so I laid in bed and just timed. At 6, I got up to shower and get ready for the Csection. I had decided at some point during the early morning that I would go in as scheduled and ask what my Dr. thought about me trying to labor instead. The nurses were awesome and said I should try it for a few hours and just see how things go. I was only 80 percent effaced and not dilated at all, but it was still pretty early on. I labored for about 4 hours at 7 minutes apart when my Dr. came in. He was so laid back about it and said I could stay or I could go home and try to labor comfortably. I opted for that and hubs and I packed it up and left. I went between the bathtub and the bed for about 6 hours and was still just about 7 minutes apart. They were beginning to be more intense though and sleep was tricky. Mainly I just laid with a heating pad. At 5:00 that night (15 hours later), I came downstairs and started walking figure 8s around my kitchen. This quicky advanced my contractions to 5 minutes apart and they were painful!! I had hubs call my Dr. to tell him we were on our way back to the hospital. The nurse and my Dr. could tell that my labor had changed and that I was extremely uncomfortable. They immediately put me in a room and checked me. 80 percent effaced and not dilated This was now 17 hours later (still "early labor") They let me labor until about midnight that night when I finally told them enough was enough. I had been laboring for almost 21 hours, had not taken anything and had not slept. They offered to give me some morphine and ambian so that I could get some rest. Around 3 am (24 hours later) the morphine was not touching the contractions (almost on top of each other) and I was not sleeping. They gave me another dose of morphine which put me out until 7 am. When I woke up, I felt great...which was not good. The contractions had stopped...They asked me to get up and shower and to begin walking around with my IV stand. We walked for an hour and the contractions began again (back to just 8 minutes apart). I labored from 8 am until noon when I finally asked them to check me (now 33 hours later). I was at five minutes apart again and they were incredibly intense (active labor now??). I was 80 percent effaced and half a centimeter dilated I finally asked to speak with my other Dr. who was now there. I told her that it had been 33 hours and what should we do at this point? She said well, you can go home and labor more since you are only 39 and a half weeks or you can stay here or you can do your csection. She left the room and hubs and I talked for a few minutes. I told him I couldn't imagine going home and laboring like this for possibly days. I told him I didn't think I was going to dilate and since I was only half a centimeter, they wouldn't even entertain an epidural. I said, I've come to terms with the fact that none of the women in my family have ever been able to dilate or progress even after 4 days (my grandma and aunt) and have all ended in csections (aunts, mom, grandma, cousins, second cousins, great aunts, etc have ALL been csectioned...we are little people all around 5 feet). We decided to go with the csection. We called the doctor back in and she said she had two in front of us scheduled and then it would be our turn. An hour later, the nurse comes in and says that my Dr. had an emergency surgery (ectopic preg) that took a turn for the worse and she was headed towards the regular OR in the main hospital and that it could be a couple more hours. At 3 (36 hours later) the nurse came back in and said, I've been standing outside your room for ten minutes trying to think how to break this to you, but an ambulence just came in and your Dr. has another emerg. surgery. I broke down and told her I needed SOMETHING. She gave me another shot of morphine which didn't do anything. Finally 2.5 hours later (38.5 hours since labor began), they came in and said it was go time. They put hubs in his scrubs and mask and wheeled me down to the OR. They attempted my spinal block (3 times and all 3 times he nicked my spine) I finally broke down again and he finally got it in correctly. They laid me down and called hubs in. I asked hubs to tell me a story so he started talking to me while they worked about his mountain biking excersions with our neighbor. It was mindless but it kept me occupied and the surgery off my mind. When I was finally cut all the way open all the nurses and my two dr.s said, well that's something you don't see everyday! That would make a great picture for a surgeon! She was faced up (the wrong direction) and her eyes were wide open staring at them from inside my uterus. They pulled her out and I waited and waited and waited for an eternity until I heard my baby girl scream. I cried and cried (of course) and they almost immediately brought her to me. They put her on my chest and I got to hold her while hubs snuggled in and the Dr. took a picture. A few minutes later hubs and the nurses took Charlotte and wheeled me to recovery. I got to snuggle a few minutes and tried breastfeeding (she latched on almost right away which is amazing to me that they just know). They took her a few minutes later to the nursery and my mom brought my son, Jacob, in. They left and went down to my pp room. About an hour later they wheeled me down to my room and brought Charlotte in. She was amazing and we loved her the second we met her.

Charlotte was born on September 23rd, 2010 at 6:06 pm 39 hours after she began trying to make an entrance. I never dilated past half a centimeter and probably wouldn't have. The Dr. mentioned later on that her position didn't help and that my VBAC probably wouldn't have been sucessful, even if I had labored for a few more days. All in all, everything happens for a reason and the important part is that she is here. There is Charlotte Aubrey's story
February 3rd, 2011, 06:48 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
I'm sorry it took so long for me to get over here!!!

First of all, holy cow -- almost 40 hours of labor only to end up in a c-section! You deserve a medal. And the part about Charlotte's open eyes -- definitely wild!

I'm so glad everything worked out well in the end. My SIL just had a baby -- she was in the hospital for almost 48 hours and never dilated so they took my nephew by c-section. You ladies are pretty tough!

So, I know it's a bit late, but....

Welcome Baby Charlotte!!!!
March 12th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Despite a long and hard labor, I'm sure it was al worth it to hve your precious baby girl! Charlotte was ready for the world!

It disappoints me that the Dr wouldn't okay an epidural because you hadn't progressed very much. With all 3 of my kids I labored for HOURS with no-very little change, but within a short time of getting an epidural things went quickly. It's not like you walked in the door after 1 contraction and asked for it! I mean, really, how terrible would it have been for them to give you one, have it not work, and then still do the c/s but on the flip side it could have worked!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search