C25K--Week 1 (October 14-October 21)

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 13th, 2010, 10:12 PM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
Send a message via AIM to mt23hc
Okay ladies, here is Week 1! We can do this and let's do it together! Since you're supposed to do it 3 days per week, we probably won't all be doing it the exact same days (my goal is Thurs, Sat, Mon OR Tues) but we can do it the same week. When you do a workout, come on, post, tell us about your workout, how it went, how you felt, where you did it, if anyone joined you, etc. and let's keep each other motivated!

Week 1--Workout 1
Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

Week 1--Workout 2
Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

Week 1--Workout 3

Resource: Cool Running | The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan

Important information:
Each session should take about 20 or 30 minutes, three times a week. That just happens to be the same amount of moderate exercise recommended by numerous studies for optimum fitness. This program will get you fit. (Runners who do more than this amount are doing it for more than fitness, and before long you might find yourself doing the same as well).
Be sure to space out these three days throughout the week to give yourself a chance to rest and recover between efforts. And don't worry about how fast you're going. Running faster can wait until your bones are stronger and your body is fitter. For now focus on gradually increasing the time or distance you run.
It's easy to get impatient, and you may feel tempted to skip ahead in the program, but hold yourself back. Don't try to do more, even if you feel you can. If, on the other hand, you find the program too strenuous, just stretch it out. Don't feel pressured to continue faster than you're able. Repeat weeks if needed and move ahead only when you feel you're ready.

Podcasts: Couch to 5k - C25K Running Program
--There are also many podcasts/apps on itunes for your ipod or iphone that are really handy!
--You can also google "(insert favorite music genre) c25k podcast" to find one with music you like

October 14th, 2010, 07:05 PM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
W1W1--I went to the track on base with my neighbor Kaitlyn (in the rain, mind you!) with my ipod running playlist and app for c25k and we started strong but after a few jogs I was feeling weak so we briskly walked the rest. We did a total of 2.5 miles. I feel GREAT now. I am SO glad I did it and I feel really motivated. As soon as I finished, I checked my cell and got a text from my dad that my grandad had a 100% heart blockage and was going in for emergency open heart surgery. Heart problems run on BOTH sides of my family REALLY bad so I know I need to do this for me, for my heart, and to live to see my children grow up!
October 17th, 2010, 02:25 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
OMG, Melissa! I hope the surgery goes well! Prayers for your granddad!!!

I tried this with the running and about killed myself with the running part... Maybe I was going too fast (really, I wasn't) or I'm just TOO FAT and out of shape, but I only did about 11 minutes! Then Kellen started screaming and then Kensley threw a fit... I don't know how in the hell I'm going to find 30 minutes of me-time, but I need to, EVERY day, to work out or I will really hate myself even worse.

UG.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
October 17th, 2010, 04:54 PM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
Melissa - That is THE reason we are going to be healthy mommas! We want to be around for our kiddos for the long haul. I am super super proud of you. Tons of prayers for your granddad. Please keep us up on the latest with him.

Gwynne - don't give up hon. Even if you get 11 minutes, that is 11 minutes more than if you didn't do anything. I don't remember your husband's hours, but can you trade time off? That is what DH and I do. Every Mon/Wed it is his turn to workout while I tend to the kiddos and dinner. Tuesday/Thursday is my turn and he does dinner while watching the kids. It really boils down to 30 minutes each day and...maybe this is bad...but we usually put Evan in front of Diego and Luke on his playmat. Most days I try to do most of my dinner prep throughout the day so it doesn't take too long to actually make the dinner. Sometimes it is just a hot sandwich and soup night.

Seriously - (Melissa you know this b/c of my FB post) but running is NOT easy. It is something that has to be built up to. I was running about 20 miles a week in Feb. I had to stop b/c of a uterine tear. I haven't run since. I walked about 15 miles a week during my pregnancy. I tried to get out and run yesterday....HA! I made it 1 mile. I walked the other mile and a half.
What got me was my **** hemorrhoid that has been around for SIX weeks. There was so much pressure that I felt like the bottom might literally fall out. I have my 6 week pp check up on Thursday and we are going to HAVE to address this. I need a solution.
Going out again tonight. I'll go on a 3 mile stretch. I probably try to jog 1 mile of it, or do a 3 min run 2 min walk. I'll let you know.

You girls KEEP IT UP! Each day is a new one. Let's work at this together!

October 17th, 2010, 08:42 PM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
Melissa- something else. You mentioned on FB about shin splints. Shoes are a huge thing when running. Call around athletic store or specialty running stores and see if they can analyze your foot. If you pronate or supinate depends on what type of shoe you should buy. Your shoes can make or break your running experience.

October 17th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Veteran
This is great! I literally just walked in the door from doing week 1 day 3. I hadn't seen this thread earlier. I started last Tuesday-- 4 weeks post partum-- and did day 2 on Thursday. I've been able to do all the running segments so far.

I had started the couch to 5k back in December and got to week 3 or 4 and then found out I was pregnant and stopped. So happy to be starting again.

The iphone app really helps me get through it. I run until I feel tired and then look to see how many seconds of running are left and then it's such a high if I see I only have like 3 seconds left.

There's a 5k I'm hoping to be able to do in December. Not sure if I will make it but it's something for me to work toward.
October 18th, 2010, 01:50 PM
~Constance~
I started today, W1W1. I'm 6 weeks PP and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was for me. Nothing hurt during or after.
I just used a stopwatch.
My SIL competed in a 5K race this weekend and came in 2nd. She's amazing. She ran it in 20 minutes.
I'll be thrilled if I make it in 36!

ETA: My walk was 1.5 miles so I'm starting at a 13.3 minutes per mile pace. I got under 12 two summers ago when I was casually running/jogging a few times a week.
I'm turning 31 in late December so I'm hoping to reach my goal of running the 5K as my last accomplishment of an awesome 30th year!

Last edited by cabbagepatch; October 21st, 2010 at 09:46 AM.
October 18th, 2010, 04:26 PM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
I am hoping to re-start this tomorrow after an all-clear from my doctor...I am Xposting this from my other mommy board...

Thursday I started my workout and walked/jogged 2.5 miles, then Friday I did pilates and a 10 minute arm/shoulder workout off the Wii with soup cans as weights. Well, Friday night I started having pretty bad pain/pressure in my chest around 5pm that wouldn't go away and it was making me SUPER nervous/anxious to the point where I got sick to my stomach because I thought I was having a heart attack...so I went to the ER, they did an EKG (it was fine), then bloodwork and a chest xray...the chest xray was fine but the bloodwork showed an elevation in something that indicated a possible blood clot (along with my heart rate being over 100bpm) so they did a CT scan with contrast (iodine) and it turned out to be fine too. She said I had a slight fever and slightly enlarged lymph nodes so not to be too surprised if I am getting a little sick. Regardless, she seemed to think it's just "chest wall pain" from the exercise and that I over-exerted those muscles...then add my anxiety on top of it and I make it worse by worrying. It's still REALLY sore, but I am pretty sure since all those tests came back okay that it must just be muscular, but chest pain is scary!!!
October 18th, 2010, 05:41 PM
MommyKent910's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i just saw this, Im starting tomorrow!!
October 19th, 2010, 06:50 AM
~Constance~
Yikes Melissa! I'm glad you're ok. Don't push yourself so hard!
October 19th, 2010, 08:26 AM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am going to start it too. I have dh downloading an app for his android.

October 20th, 2010, 07:10 AM
W1W1- Ok, I am so out of shape! I did mange to do all the runs but it totally kicked my butt. I'm hoping it will get easier over time. I'm already dreading Friday morning.

October 20th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Yesterday I did W1D1 & today W1D2. W1D1 was very relaxed jogging around the neighborhood with Hayden. Very easy and I did really well. The total workout was 24.50. TODAY- DH thought we should do it together. So we went to our local park with the dogs & Hayden. The trail is a total 3.5 miles. We did the workout(25.75 seconds) and were at about 1.8 miles. DH thought we should continue for the rest of the trail. HE IS CRAZY! So we walked the rest of the trail. By the time we were back to the car, I felt like I could barely pick my feet up. Is it crazy I want to go run again now that the weather is pretty again. I wont do it because Ill be exhausted and wont be able to run Friday. I am a little behind, since I found this late. So Ill do W1D3 on Friday and then start again on Monday! It should be interesting running on the beach!
October 20th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Christina, you have a quicker pace than me in 29 minutes, I did 1.6 miles, but I feel great. I was able to do 11 minutes, then Kensley tried to hop on the treadmill, then Kellen started crying, then Kensley started throwing a tantrum, so I was done... Later I was able to get in another 18 minutes before the kids drove me crazy again... So, that's my version of W1D1.

October 21st, 2010, 08:28 AM
Veteran
I did week 2, day 1 on Tuesday and was able to do all the segments. W2D2 is tonight. I'm running through my neighborhood and measured the distance yesterday-- it was 2.1 miles and I'm out for 29-30 minutes.
October 22nd, 2010, 06:38 AM
Just did W1W2. It was harder than Wednesday's workout because my shins are still hurting from that run and I seem to have come down with a cold. It took a lot for me to get up early and go out running. But I'm glad I did it. I will do W1W3 on Monday. I'm trying to convince dh to start doing it too.

October 22nd, 2010, 03:37 PM
~Constance~
Just got in from W1W2. It really felt great to be out in the brisk air doing something for me!
I have a cold too and it's been rainy so I rested up the last few days before continuing the program. My family doesn't need me to be completely worn out on top of sick.
I'll do W3 this weekend.
October 24th, 2010, 08:32 AM
So yesterday I did W1D3!! It was awesome! I know Im a little off and we will see how it goes being at the beach this week!
October 24th, 2010, 11:54 AM
~Constance~
I did W3 first thing this morning. It's harder and I'm slower in the morning. A 15 minute warm up walk would probably be better for me when I do another session first thing.
I'm participating in a 5K run/walk next Saturday. Sounded like a fun way to do W2W3 and motivate myself to keep going with the program. And the Autumn colors will be gorgeous in the park!
October 24th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Great idea, Constance! Enjoy it

I did W1D2 today... except at the end I wussed out and only did 2 rounds of 30 second jogging instead of the full 60 sec... but then I did 75 bicycle crunches and 30 pushups. I feel great! It's disappointing, though, knowing I used to play college ball that I can't even do 20 min of this without getting tired. Geesh!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search