Does it make sense?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 7th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Brannyt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Does it make sense for me to purchase a convertible car seat? Brynlee is only about 16ish pounds and 26.5 inches, but I can forsee her getting too long for her infant car seat before she turns 1. However, my friend gave me a car seat for her to use when she turns 1. I don't want her to be uncomfortable, but I also don't know if I should spend the extra money for something I'll prob only use a few months.

Any advice?

LOVE my siggy, thank you Meganpixel!!!!!!
November 7th, 2010, 06:44 AM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
Well, a convertable car seat will work, most of them for up to 40lbs.. Audrey is over 20lbs now and needs to be moved to a convertable.... It will last longer than a few months, unless you really intended on using the one your friend got you, and its forward facing only.. you can always sell the car seat on craigs list once your done with it?
November 7th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
What is it about the car seat from your friend that ties it to Brynlee turning 1? Isn't it tied to a specific size/weight? Is there a gap between the weight allowance on the seat you have and the starting weight for the one your friend gave you? (Forgive me if this is a dumb question. I am a little clueless about convertible car seats. Have managed to keep my head in the sand as Jamie's infant seat has a higher weight limit/length than most.)

November 7th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If the one your friend gave you for when she turns one is only forward facing, you need a rear facing one. The new rules encourage rear facing as long as possible. This is different from what it used to be. So if it is forward facing only, you may need a convertible for rear facing. Or you can just keep tabs on her height and weight and see how long you can make it last. Do you have two cars? You might buy a convertible for one and see how you like it? Especially if you are going to need two car seats anyway. I know BRU has a good sale right now. My mom just got us the evenflow triumph 65 for ony 120 and it is normally 150. Evenflow has a 5 dollar coupon on their website and you can use a 20% BRU copuon.

November 7th, 2010, 09:06 AM
The only reason I say that the car seat is for when she turns 1 is that age 1 is what my infant car seat says (she can use the infant seat until she reaches 25 pounds and turns 1). My friend's seat isn't old. Her daughter used it until she was around one and a half (she's only 2 now btw), but they had another seat they used more so she gave it to me. I have to check, I'm not sure if it's rear facing.

November 7th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
She can use the infant seat until she hits 25lbs *or* the height limit for that seat. That may be before or after she turns 1. The latest recommendation from the AAP and most organizations is to keep a baby rearfacing until at least age 2 or longer.

I would check to see if the carseat you were given is forward facing only. If it rear faces as well then it's a convertible car seat. If it forward faces only then personally I would buy a convertible seat because I would not be comfortable switching to forward facing at a year and 20lbs.

November 7th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I went into our storage and got the car seat out, and it is, indeed, a convertible! My friend didn't tell me, so I just assumed it wasn't Apparently it supports 5-40 pounds and doesn't expire til 2014, so it'll be around for a while. I'm going to start using it now to get her used to it.

Thanks girls!

November 7th, 2010, 08:56 PM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I moved Karsyn to the convertible seat a few weeks ago. I bought one that faces the rear, then moves to the front and then its a booster that uses the big seatbelt...it holds up to like 80lbs I think. Kinley is 3 and is only 32lbs...she has a convertible seat that holds up to 40lbs..and that won't be for a while. Then I'll either switch her and Karsyn's seats or just buy her a bigger seat. She will stay in a carseat for as long as possible! I prefer the 5 point harness to the regular seatbelt!

November 8th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DondraB View Post
I moved Karsyn to the convertible seat a few weeks ago. I bought one that faces the rear, then moves to the front and then its a booster that uses the big seatbelt...it holds up to like 80lbs I think. Kinley is 3 and is only 32lbs...she has a convertible seat that holds up to 40lbs..and that won't be for a while. Then I'll either switch her and Karsyn's seats or just buy her a bigger seat. She will stay in a carseat for as long as possible! I prefer the 5 point harness to the regular seatbelt!
Ditto this! My dd is 4 and is still in a carseat with a 5 point harness.

November 8th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
That's great that you have a convertible!! No stress now!

November 8th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Tiny Loves
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda C View Post
Ditto this! My dd is 4 and is still in a carseat with a 5 point harness.
Me too! Well DD is 5! I never used an infant carrier for Mr. Man, he just went straight to the convertible.

November 8th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Tested it out today and she did great! I was worried cause she LOVES those toys that hang on the handle of her infant seat, but all I had to do was bring some house toys and she was fine. Yay! She looks so tiny again in her seat, but I'm glad that worry is out of the way!

Thanks ladies!! Now I have to get used to taking her out all the time...

November 8th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Now you need to get a shopping cart cover so she can sit in the buggy (as we call it lol) in the front and not get all dirty!

November 8th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I call it a buggy too! My mom is from TN, so we grew up with some of her terms, lol. I definitely need to get one of those though! She loves sitting in the cart!

November 8th, 2010, 03:00 PM
lol I moved to Cali when DH was station in San Diego for the Marines and the people would look at me all funny when I said "buggy" lol....the covers are def worth it--plus they have little hooks to hook on toys!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search