Okay, what are my options here (crib advice) *long*

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 8th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So when M was born we had him in the P&P in our room just so it was easier for us. He started sleeping through the night but i liked having him close so i wanted to keep him in our room a little longer... fast forward, he's now been home for 6 months and still in there with us. BUT, not by our choice anymore!

A couple of months ago we started putting him in his crib for bed time but we started having the issue with him smushing his face up against the bumper, on one occasion he actually did get stuck and wasnt able to move and his Angelcare monitor did go off (you may remember i posted about this). Dh and I werent too comfy with that and dh insisted we take out the bumper. So then we tried to have him sleep in the crib with no bumper and he immediately sticks his arms or legs out and gets them stuck (and screams). SO, then we tried a breathable bumper but just my luck, since our crib has a built in changing table and doesnt have slats on one side the stinkin bumper doesnt fit right. I've thought about trying to modify the breathable bumper somehow like velcroing it to his crib or something but really that just doesnt seem safe in case it comes undone during the night he could get tangled up. Of course we can just put his P&P in his room but if he's sleeping in it anyway i dont really see the point in what room its in (plus generally speaking i dont mind him in our room but dh wants him in his crib). So, we pretty much gave up on him sleeping in his own room at night.

BUT, now we'de really like for him to be able to sleep in his bed (or at least P&P) for naps and he wont do either. For some reason as he's getting older he's sleeping lighter and waking up alot more. Up until now he's just been napping whereever he falls asleep, swing, on the floor etc, but mostly in his rocking chair. We might have a friend of dh's coming to stay with us and with situations like Thanksgiving where there will be people here and much noisier i just know he's not going to be able to sleep through it and i dont want him to be a grump.

The transition itself from P&P went fine for nighttime sleeping, but for naps its been totally unsuccessful so far. Yesterday we tried his crib and he was able to fall asleep but promptly got his leg stuck, then 20 minutes later his arm stuck. Once he got so worked up from that he wasnt interested in sleeping anymore. Then after basically having NO nap all day he fell asleep while having a bottle so dh put him down in the p&p and he woke up right away and screamed his head off. I tried to sooth him without picking him up but it didnt work.

Its totally frustrating because he likes his crib but it hurts him, and he refuses to nap in the p&p even though he'll go down fine at night in it even if he's wide awake. Right now I'm thinking of putting the regular bumper back in and just letting him nap in there (since i can check on him and make sure he's not stuffing his face against the bumper) and seeing if that works, then i guess just keeping him in our room at night until i figure out another night time option? Ack!

So i guess i have two different issues here - if theres anything i can do to fix the bumper issue with the crib and then i need to figure out how to get him to nap in the crib or p&p.

November 8th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Brannyt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Naps are, by far, the HARDEST thing to change. Brynlee does great at night, but it's a struggle getting her down for naps.

I would definitely try the regular bumper again. Does he move a ton in his sleep? If not, I would maybe put him down further in the crib so he has a big gap between where he is lying, and the top and bottom of the crib. That way he can roll over and still have space. Do you still have your monitor? If he does get smushed up against his bumper, I would have the monitor on to make sure he's still breathing okay. Brynlee moves around a ton when she sleeps, and she has managed to press her face against her bumper, but hasn't had a problem breathing.

When you put him in his PnP for naps, do you just set him down, or is there any routine involved? I found white noise helps a ton, if all he needs is something soothing during the day. HTH!

LOVE my siggy, thank you Meganpixel!!!!!!
November 8th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
thanks for the suggestions! yes he moves a TON in his sleep so thats part of the problem. If i put him down the regular way in the crib he usually rotates 90 degrees so hes the short way in the crib, like his head and feet are both touching the sides of the crib (which is how his legs keep getting stuck). When he's in his P&P he's either the same way or sleeping on his side. Or he just rolls over to the side of the crib with his face usually facing the bumper and stays there. I mean, he must be comfy because he rolls right back if i try to move him to the center of the crib. I dunno.

We do have the monitor which i'm okay with "relying" on during the day for naps so i can just run in there and check on him but at night time dh and i arent comfortable with it doing that. I'm not really sure if there is a way to train him not to sleep like that

When he sleeps at night we have a sleep sheep, which we've used since he was in the NICU. He loves Lammy and it helps to put him right out at night but during the day it makes no difference (we've put it in his crib and p&p). Before yesterday IF he napped int he P&P it was usually just a coincidence like he fell asleep while i was in the shower or something... when we tried yesterday he was already asleep at first so we set him in there and he woke up right away and screamed, even with Lammy on

November 8th, 2010, 01:40 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
How dark is the room when he's trying to nap? Can you make it as dark as night time? That's my only advice. Kolbie naps better when I put a blanket over her curtains to make it darker.

Kaija always slept sideways in her crib. Even when we made it into a toddler bed she crawled up onto her pillow and slept that way!
November 8th, 2010, 01:48 PM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I took the bumper out of Karsyn's crib....she will get a foot out of the bars every once in a while, but it doesn't seem to affect her. If it bothers her, she'll cry and let me know lol so I don't worry about it. She also will turn around or scoot to the bottom of her crib, but she will just fall back asleep so she's alright. See how he does with just sleeping in the crib, if his foot hangs out, as long as it isn't bothering him I'd say it is fine! He'll figure out how to get it out of the bars, and if now he'll fuss to let you know.

As for naps, karsyn has only taken a nap in her room once. She sleeps all night-has since she was 2 months old (SOOOO happy about this as Kinley is still up all night and she's 3!) but naps are a different story. She will sleep in the car, or in my arms but if I put her down she wakes up. So usually I'll just crash on the couch and watch tv for an hour or so while she naps in my arms...or on Mon/Wed after Kinley gets out of school, we will all take a nap in my bed. I put Karsyn on my arm and she falls asleep. So i have no advice on the nap situation lol

November 8th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You know, lightness could be a problem. His bedroom, my step daughters bedroom and the living room are all across the front of the house so this didnt occur to me since they get the same sun exposure, but the kids rooms both have white curtains and the living room (where he naps in his rocker or whatever) has black curtains so it probably is darker in here. I know my step daughter wakes up butt a*s early and my mom whos slept in her room said its probably because its so bright in there. I think i'll look into getting blackout shades or something and see if that helps.

So in about an hour i'm gonna go put M down in his P&P while i take a shower, its dark, i'm gonna put his lammy on and everything and we'll see what happens... he should be pretty sleepy by that point so i'm hoping he'll pass out. Wish us luck!

November 8th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Good luck! I would definitely look into black out shades. We got those for Lily's room and it really helped her sleep longer in the mornings. Vi sleeps pretty much anywhere for naps, but has issues at night time. So, I guess I have the opposite problem as you

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search