Alright I'm struggling here

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 11th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
I have a prenatal appt. on Tuesday so I am going to ask my OB all these questions.

Did anyone suffer from:
Dizzyness/faintness/shakiness around 16 weeks (or in that range)?

Did anyone suffer from:
Being able to hear your heart beat when laying down or resting? Being able to feel your heart beat LOUD and DEEP?

Did anyone suffer from:
Anxiety and panic attacks during pregnancy?

Ladies I'm really struggling

I have noticed that if I take stairs too fast I am out of breath--but I figured that's b/c I'm pregnant, just WAS pregnant and never started any cardio after Aly...so I wasn't concerned.

But Wednesday night, after taking a shower that was too hot--my skin was bright red after getting out...I went to lay down in bed..and then it began.

I could feel my heart beating fast and it felt like it was coming out of my chest. I layed on my left side and I could hear it and feel it in my arm, my temple, my chest. It was DEEP. Like my heart was having a really hard time beating.

This triggered a panic attack.

I am prone to panic attacks--and they always stem from my heart. I have a fear of my heart...mainly heart attacks...dropping dead. I have heard disease in my family and it just scares me that any minute you could die from a heart attack.

ALL MY PANIC ATTACKS STEM FROM HEART ISSUES.

I have checked myself into the ER so many times (this was about 2 years ago before I knew what anxiety was)--that the doctor told me if I came back one more time, they would have to keep me overnight for evaluation.

So after that Matt and I started learning how to deal with my anxiety and panic attacks.

But it never fails--when something like this happens where I feel like something is wrong with my heart--it sets me into a panic attack.

So that was Wednesday--Matt coached me out of my attack...which lasted for hours. And assured me that it's normal to feel this way b/c my body is pumping more blood and that the baby needs my blood. He also said that the baby could be laying on a nerve and also that I took a shower that was too hot, prob. causing my BP to rise and then drop suddenly when I got into bed.

But then today at Target...out of NOWHERE, I got suddenly dizzy. I felt so dizzy that I honestly thought I was going to faint. Then I got sick to my stomach.

As soon as I started to get nasaous (sp?), I knew what was happening--my sugars were dropping and I was experiencing low blood sugar.

I had to get a candy bar from the check out counter and we had to leave the store.

Prior to Target, we went to lunch and I ate a chicken ceasar salad. I had the chicken for protein and I knew that the dressing had sugar in it. Protein always helps with hypoglycemia to keep your sugars level. But I guess it didn't help b/c 30 mins. later my incident happened in Target.

The only thing I ate prior to the salad (which was at 1), was a bowl of oatmeal a 8 am.

That's not enough to eat--esp. pregnant.

But ladies this is my problem--I don't have time to make myself meals and I don't have time to take care of my body/self with this baby.

I am struggling to find meals to eat on the go. I don't eat cheese or cheese related products, so when I need some protein, it's hard...I can't just grab a cheese stick.

Matt says he will grill chicken breasts at night for me to eat during the week--but by the time we both get home from work and take care of Aly...and now that its dark at 5...and cold...it doesn't work.

I don't know what to do
I'm also really scared something is wrong with my heart

I know all these symptoms are normal--but I think to myself "What if I weakened my heart from giving birth and having to strain and push for two hours for Alyssa to come out of me"?

It scares me.

Having anxiety when you are pregnant is the worse.

I wish I had a personal chef to make me protein shakes whenever my sugars are bad.

I am really struggling with food options for people like me who deal with sugar issues.

I'm a mess today

Is there a board for diabetes?

December 11th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have no real advice... i'm horribly out of shape and my heart beats really fast over the dumbest thing sometimes... like sometimes it feels like its beating through my chest and i can feel it through my entire body. I also have pannic attacks but i ddint have any while i was pregnant.

I just wish i could take care of you and make you dinner every night I'm not the best cook but i'de try! Lol

December 11th, 2010, 04:43 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'm so sorry you had an anxiety attack. Those aren't fun.

I think what you experienced is normal. Definitely mention it at your next appointment though.

With my first pregnancy, I did have some irregular heart beats and dizziness. With Abri, it was so much worse. I blacked out on several occasions (couldn't see at all, sounds were muffled, and I got so dizzy that I would almost fall). I remember doing Christmas shopping at Toys R Us and having to sit down in the middle of the doll aisle because I was so dizzy. I would have the irregular heart beats several times a week, and mostly during showers. When I mentioned it at one of my appointments, the nurse practioner said I needed to be eating more salt. The salt would help retain water, keep my blood pressure up in the normal range and I would feel less dizzy. I'm sure it didn't help that I was really only able to tolerate eating sour flavored popsicles at the time, but I did my best to introduce some more salt. It definitely helped.
December 11th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh thats a good idea, when i was in HS i had a small dizziness problem and i passed out at school a couple of times and the Dr told me drinking a sports drink like powerade or gatorade would help. If you like those maybe try that?

Also you could boil a bunch of hard boiled eggs and just keep them in the fridge and grab one real fast if you need it

December 11th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Those are both good ideas...esp. the eggs. I need to start doing that.

Thanks guys

December 11th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry you are dealing with this! I would get really dizzy and faint when pregnant too - almost fell over in Wal-mart! And I have trouble with low blood sugar. I would get these individual cups of hummus from Costco and eat those with veggies or crackers throughout the day. Or peanut butter - or trail mix (not the kind with candy). But still ask your doc. HOpefully they can help you to rest easier!

December 11th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
So sorry that this is frightening you . I don't have panic attacks but I have a history of fainting, which then turned into a sorta phobia of fainting - so much so that I've been putting off a dental procedure for 8 months now not because I'm afraid of the pain of the procedure itself but because I'm afraid I'll get dizzy. I can just imagine how much more scary it would be for you.

I don't have much advice but wanted to say this dizziness/shakiness and the heart thumping can definitely be a pregnancy issue. I experienced it a little further into my pregnancy than you but when I asked the doctor he said that its fairly common and that certain things are typically triggers for dizziness when you're pregnant - standing up for too long, suddenly changing positions (i.e. sitting up from sleeping, standing up from a chair, etc.) and changes in temperature - like your getting out of your hot shower! Also I had weeks on end where I could literally feel and hear my pulse in my head. I remember it did have something to do with the increased blood flow during pregnancy. Hopefully at your appointment they can give you a quick check and also provide some reassurance. (And no, I'm pretty positive 2 hours of pushing did not damage your heart )

I think the Gatorade, hummus, eggs, etc. are great ideas. I know you are super busy and have your hands full with your sweetie pie but please, please take good care of yourself too. HUGS!

December 11th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Shantastic27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kristin--when I was preg with Livi I definitely experienced feeling my heart beat more, and at times it almost seemed like I could FEEL the blood pumping through my body...it was so bizarre. But, if you think about it, when you're pregnant your body has such a greater blood volume it kind of makes sense. I also think I experienced some low blood pressures quite a bit. EVery time I stood up (especially when getting out of the car) I would get dizzy and feel like I was going to faint. I honestly think all of that is pretty normal.

These anxiety attacks of yours sound like they're pretty debilitating. I would suggest that you maybe go and try and have a diagnostic work up on your heart, but I don't even think that getting a clean bill of health would ease the anxiety. Have you ever been to a therapist? It sounds like you could really benefit from someone helping you to manage these symptoms behaviorally, and maybe you'd be able to stop a full blown attack from coming on.

I'm soooo sorry you're going through this, Kristin.

December 11th, 2010, 06:39 PM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
This happened to me ALOT when I was pregnant, and it is completely normal! The faintness/dizziness is probably you not getting enough fluid, and not enough to eat, plus you blood supply is increasing, and its completely normal for you to get light headed, especially getting up, and moving alot.

and I could feel my pulse all the time on my abdomen.. actually, if I set something on my tummy, like the remote, or the phone, you could see the phone moving with my pulse.. its your aortic artery, and increased blood flow, completely normal things!!!! Don't panic about those at all!!

Panic attacks can be normal, but I would definitly talk to your doctor about them.. Remember, every pregnancy is different!

oh, let me comment also, that when you take ahot shower for example, that increases your blood supply, the heat opens your veins.. so it will make you seem more lightheaded, and the pulse thing more dramatic...alot of times when I was preggo with audrey, I had to get straight out of the shower, and lay down until it passed. This didn't end for a long time, well into the 2nd trimester.
December 11th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
O, i was also going to suggest Peanut Butter crackers, those are easy to throw in Al's diaper bag for yourself or your desk

Also, hopefully this isnt a rude question... sorry if it is... but do you think all the stress is from working? How much longer do you have?

December 11th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Laura, I am slowly learning to like hummus--does hummus have a lot of protein in it to curb hunger?

Bosley (sorry sweet love, I can't remember your name--that's awful ), but your post comforted me.

Shannon--yes, I've seen a therapist and she helped at the time but then she got weird and started to judge some things I told her...it was a mess. But yes, my anxiety is bad...and before Aly, I was able to calm a panic attack by walking, and talking to Matt and doing breathing exercises. But with Aly now, I don't have that ability b/c she could cry or need me during an attack. I don't know what to do. It's a hot mess. My therapist figured out why I have this fear of heart attacks and dropping dead...the fear of being alone when it happens...and my childhood was terrible and I was pretty much alone as a child--so it stems from that. I just don't understand...sigh...

Kristi--I'm so glad to hear I'm not alone in this. What you described is exactly what I dealt with on Wednesday after my shower.

This part of pregnancy sucks. I wonder if b/c this time my placenta is posterior that I am feeling this way?

Sam, the crackers would work too. It's just a matter of finding time to make the crackers...so simple right? Saltine crackers and PB....but I swear, I don't have the time.

Work is a joke. I have 12 work days left. This upcoming week is my last full week. Working FT and taking care of Aly and being 4 months pregnant and still trying to be a wife and take care of myself is the hardest thing I have ever had to do.

December 11th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Buy the crackers silly!

December 11th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hopefully when you stop working and have more time to get things done in the day you will feel better. I'm sorry that your so stressed, I seriously don't know how you are juggling everything right now. I agree with Sam, buy some already made peanut butter crackers (I know you guys are all natural, but maybe you can cheat a bit so you can get enough nutrion that you need right now) and do the eggs, that's an excellent idea! I hope things get better for you hun.
December 11th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Health food stores also have some great options of protein bars, those always helped me when I was pregnant and working and had to take care of Aiden. I've been there, baby and my heart goes out to you immensely. I am counting down the days with you until you are done working!

these are great

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

December 11th, 2010, 08:15 PM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
I don't have a whole lot of adivce, but I wanted to tell you I have had the EXACT same thing and while I was pregnant. I also have experienced this when I was not pregnant. But I always get in a panic and I think something is wrong with my heart. Heart disease is HUGE in my family. My dad died at 41 and my grandma at 48.

While I was pregnant, I found when I was doing cardio (walking up stairs or ramps) my heart would start pounding like I'm having a panic attack. So I'd have to go SUPER slow. I told my doctor and they sent me for a heart ultrasound and everything came back fine. She told me that it's probably the extra amount of blood in the system. I could also hear my blood in my ears like throbing.

In general, what helps me with panic attaks is watching a TV show I really like or a movie. After a bit, it takes my mind right off of my heart and anxiety. But I am still struggling with how to deal with it.

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way though, I know it sucks.

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

December 11th, 2010, 10:04 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I have the exact same issues when pregnant. I have passed out at least once with every pregnancy somewhere in public because I have low blood sugar and low blood pressure. At times my blood pressure gets so sluggish that I can hear my heart beating in my ears and feel it all over. My doctor says at times like that I need to lie down and eat something. Hugs hun.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
December 11th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy

I think everyone has made great suggestions. I know Trader Joes and Whole Foods both have natural peanut butter crackers they sell. Another option might be trail mix, usually that is a good source of protein and it is easy to carry around. You can purchase it or make it if you have time.

All your physical symptoms do sound pretty normal for being pregnant, so hopefully that eases your mind a little bit.

December 12th, 2010, 03:51 AM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kristin-

I really feel for you as I have experienced so many of these same things. I also want to reassure you a little. When I was pregnant I remember having the heart beating loudly/fast pulse thing as well. Sometimes it kept me from sleeping at night. I worried about it all the time and spoke with my doctor about it who said it was normal and probably related to an increase in blood volume. My friend used to tell me that when she was pregnant she could feel her pulse in her ears. I remember being able to see it in my neck! I could actually see my necklace moving up and down very slightly. It was sooooo weird! Actually I just looked in the mirror and I can still see that so maybe I am just strange and the pregnancy intensified it or made me not only be able to see it, but also feel it. I have anxiety too and get panic attacks at times. Before I knew what they were (when I was in HS) i would get so upset over them and cry and couldn't sleep, and was CERTAIN I was going to die. Eventually my mom took me to the ER one night where they said I was fine but sent me to get a stress test and echo because they thought I might have a very mild case of MVP. They did say I have it and that can cause a lot of the feelngs I had been having, bur honestly I think most of it is anxiety. I haven't had a panic arrack for a long time until last night. Mine can be triggered by drinking too much (I had a work paty Friday and had a good time) and stress. Also, eating certain foods often makes me feel some of the symptoms, or heightens them I've always been sensitive to food and when I was pregnant and had to take the 3 hour glucose test the doc said the same thing. My levels showed this. Although I passed, my sugars went town to a normal level and then an hour later went back ip again, but then back to normal. I asked him why that would happen and he said my body is just a little sensitive to sugar/different foods, and that's just a quirk I have. It made sense though. But yesterday/last night I was feeling like I couldn't breathe deeply and I was way too aware of my breathing, like I had to think about it and my pulse felt loud and fast. Those are my typical panic attacks and the only thing that helps me at all is to stay busy. If I try to lay down or sit still it's worse. As you can see, you're not alone. Much of what you are experiencing I believe is 100% pregnancy related and the rest is anxiety. If you ever need to vent I'm here. I understand completely how scary it can be and how alone you can feel. Hang in there. You can and will get through this!

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

December 12th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Thanks guys. Thanks for the food ideas and reassuring words. I need to hear them...whenever my heart starts to do this, I have to keep telling myself "this is normal". That night Matt had to tell me...literally TELL me...like talk me out of my fear, that I am creating (my body) a new organ--the placenta. He also had to tell me that although I didn't really see it, my placenta is big--it's not just this small pebble. So he has to be almost my coach and tell me that not only am I creating a placenta but also a baby...and although I don't look pregnant, and I can only feel little popcorn type feelings--my baby is now the size of an orange--I still think of it as a little molecule. I love him for being there for me. I don't know what I would do if he wasn't so patient. He would make a great counselor.

I'm going to the grocery store this morning. This is what I'm going to buy for my purse and work:

1.) trail mix
2.) almonds
3.) PB crackers
4.) Hummus and veggies (if Hummus has protein in it, otherwise PB).
5.) Eggs

Yum.

Christy--I'm sorry you dealt with a panic attack last night. I can't drink either. People with sugar issues cannot process all the sugar from the alcohol and we crash the next day--plus it depletes all your nutrients and makes you dehydrated. I can handle a glass of dry red wine (not white b/c too much sugar, even though I love a nice glass of white wine in the summertime).

I'm glad I'm not alone.

Laura, my heart goes out to you for dealing with heart issues--they are so scary. I'm sorry about your dad and grandmother. But you are right, watching tv helps. Also eating helps b/c it distracts you. Thank goodness for my Friends DVD collection.

December 12th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Brannyt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I tried to post last night, but I guess it didn't go through. I don't really have anything new to say, but I am sorry you are going through this. Pregnancy can be stressful by itself, so I really feel for you!

I just wanted to add that, like soo many of the other ladies, I can relate about being able to feel your HB when you're pregnant. I remember laying in bed and night, and feeling my heart beating so hard that it felt like my bed was moving!

Anyway, KUP on how you're feeling when you've started on your new snacks. I hope your remaining days at work fly by! That will definitely help I think because you won't have so much on your plate!

You are a strong girl! Just remember that when things are hard!

LOVE my siggy, thank you Meganpixel!!!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search