FIT Momma meals

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 13th, 2010, 07:12 PM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
I have been seriously counting calories in everything I eat. I have been logging each and everything that goes into my mouth. Since we cook at home 6 nights a week, I have had to calculate a lot of meals that we make from scratch. I have been pretty impressed with the calories in our menu. Most of my dinners are under 500 calories.
So I thought who would appreciate this more than my fit mommas!

Here's the first FIT momma recipe. It's a Rachel Ray one.

Baked Chicken Tenders
1 cup panko
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
½ all spice
3 tbsp vegetable oil

¼ cup whole wheat flour
2 eggs beaten

1.25-1.5 pound chicken strips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Mix first 6 ingredients in a shallow bowl. Drizzle oil in breadcrumb mixture. Toss to coat.
Beat 2 eggs in another bowl.
Add flour to 3rd bowl.
Dip chicken pieces in flour, then egg, then the breadcrumb mixture. Place chicken on a cooling rack on a cookie sheet. The cooling rack will guarantee chicken is crispy on all sides. Bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown.

Makes about 20 tenders – 73 calories a piece

**I accidentally forgot the oil and they still turned out great and were only 55 calories a piece. I will add the oil next time because I think it would have helped the breadcrumb mixture stick together better.

December 14th, 2010, 09:10 AM
VeronicaBride's Avatar Jen
That sounds yummy! I would love to see anymore you have!

December 14th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Meatloaf

1 finely chopped onion: 60 calories
1 pound 90% lean ground beef: 800 calories
1/8 cup ketchup: 30 calories
½ pkg of Stove Top Stuffing Mix: 300 calories
1/2 cup of water
1 egg white: 14 calories

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cook onions in a drizzle of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet on medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
Combine meat, ¼ cup of ketchup, stuffing mix, water, egg white, and onions; mix well. Place meat mixture in an 10x5 oval dish.
Bake 55 minutes to 1 hour until cooked through (160 degrees).

Makes 4 servings
Each serving is 280 calories

January 14th, 2011, 10:38 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
These are great, Amanda. My hubby will be so happy to see I can actually cook a meal without being freaky about eating it (not that I am, but...)

So, not sure, but what is panko?

I bet there's a site somewhere to get some more yummy recipes, or else, Amanda, you'll be our resident recipe-maker

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
January 16th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Gwynne- panko is Japanese bread crumbs. I adapted that recipe. It actually calls for cornflakes. Tee heehee.

Tonights dinner was 330 calories!

TexMex slow cooker chicken
1 pound chicken cut in 1 inch strips
2 tbsp taco seasoning
2 tbsp flour
1 green bell pepper cut in 1 inch strips
1 red bell pepper scut in 1 inch strips
1 cup frozen corn
1.5 cups salsa
Cheese
Uncle Ben's Spanish rice

Mix chicken, taco seasoning and flour in crockpot until chicken is coated. stir in peppers, corn and salsa. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Serve over Uncle Ben's rice. Sprinkle cheeseon top (about an 1/8 cup of cheese per serving). Entire crockpot makes 4 servings. 1 serving equals 330 calories.

Yummy and easy!! To bump up the calories for DH, he eats his serving and a half on tostada shells or over tortilla chips.

NAK - hope there are no typos!

Last edited by RunningWithBoys; January 18th, 2011 at 05:47 PM.
January 16th, 2011, 08:52 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Oh, Amanda! That sounds delish... We'll definitely have to try that, maybe in the next day or two!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
January 17th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbirds View Post
Oh, Amanda! That sounds delish... We'll definitely have to try that, maybe in the next day or two!
It really is GREAT! And it makes for great leftovers.

Another tip that I have made sure to implement these past couple months. I try to drink an entire glass of water (12-16oz) while dinner is cooking. I fill that glass back up and drink the entire thing during dinner. Drinking before eating helps control any "snacky" feelings and drinking during dinner helps me slow down. If I slow down my eating, the message that I am full can actually reach my brain before I already too full.

Since this is a holiday for me (yippee!!) I will try to post another recipe that is a favorite around our house. I'll think we'll go Cajun in my next post. Chicken sausage gumbo!

January 17th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Loving the recipes Amanda. Keep them up if you don't mind.

January 17th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I love sharing!!!

Easy Chicken Gumbo
1/2 cup peanut oil
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup chopped sweet onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup chopped celery
16 oz frozen okra
1 1/2 to 3 tsp Cajun seasoning
2 tsp ( I put more) minced garlic
3 (14oz cans) - I use less - chicken broth
1 pound smoked turkey sausage
1 pound cooked chopped chicken
1 pkg of Uncle Ben's Cajun rice

Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium high heat; gradually which in flour and cook, whisking constantly (very important!) for 5 minutes or until flour is chocolate colored. Carefully watch the roux so it doesn't burn.
Reduce heat to medium. Stir in onion and next five ingredients, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Gradually stir in chicken broth (I use less than it calls for. Put as much as you like. We like it less soupy.) and sausage. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes of simmering, stir in chicken and rice.

Make approx 12 cups. Each cup is 211 calories.

January 17th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Amanda, if you don't mind me asking, are you just counting calories or are you also watching fat, carb, proteins, sugar intake etc?

I have been logging calories for everything I intake for about a week or so now, maybe a little longer and am getting a good handle on my calories but I am learning a few things along the way also and wondering your thoughts. I find there is soo much sodium in everything. I am also finding my carb % is usually higher than my fat and protein. Do you have target %'s of each of these that you try and stay within or do you find that as long as your overall calories are good and you get exercise in you don't have to worry about the rest so much?

Sorry so many questions for you.

January 18th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Oops! Tex Mex chicken is 330 per serving and not 300. Those 30 probably won't make or break ya, but just wanted you to know!

January 23rd, 2011, 08:19 PM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't tried this but it looks good.

Healthified Chicken and Black Bean Burritos Recipe from Betty Crocker

January 23rd, 2011, 08:33 PM
Jen- promise I'm not ignoring you. Every time I get a chance to log on I am NAK. Will respond soon when I have2 hands!

January 24th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Lol. Dont worry I know the feeling!

January 26th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronicaBride View Post
Amanda, if you don't mind me asking, are you just counting calories or are you also watching fat, carb, proteins, sugar intake etc?

I have been logging calories for everything I intake for about a week or so now, maybe a little longer and am getting a good handle on my calories but I am learning a few things along the way also and wondering your thoughts. I find there is soo much sodium in everything. I am also finding my carb % is usually higher than my fat and protein. Do you have target %'s of each of these that you try and stay within or do you find that as long as your overall calories are good and you get exercise in you don't have to worry about the rest so much?

Sorry so many questions for you.
TO be perfectly honest - no. I am not actively counting anything other than calories. I am AWARE of the fat/fiber/sugar grams that I eat but I don't have a goal number for those.
Now - I also try to eat more protein than normal right now b/c I am marathon training. I also don't even think about carbs. I know I need more carbs than normal b/c of my running. I don't like to do carbs as a side dish though. So for lunch, no chips or anything like that. My carbs come in the main part of my dish - sandwich, crackers with soup, rice already in a dish, etc.
You are working out pretty hard. You will probably need more carbs than a person who isn't. There was a website that HappySong (Nichole) posted Healthy Body Calculator that calculates how many of these things you should have. It calculated that I eat 1700 calories to lose a pound a week where LoseIt calculates 1200 - so this website takes into account I am breastfeeding. That being said, I know my body. I would not lose weight eating 1700 a day. I am not losing a pound a week eating (netting) under 1200.

Anyway - I don't think I helped you at all, but that is what I am doing.

January 27th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Thanks Amanda. That's almost exactly what I have been doing so that does help. I don't specifically try to get my carbs or proteins at any level, but I do keep an eye on these numbers. If it seems really out of whack then I will try a little harder. So far, by just trying to eat healthier (fruits, veggies, healthier snacks, more water, smaller portions) and just counting my overall calories I have been doing great.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search