Seriously, what would you do!!!

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
This is a cruel joke--Alyssa won't sleep anywhere...ANYWHERE!! I mean that too.

She refuses to sleep in her crib--if you lay her down half asleep she wakes right up. If you rock her for an hour and she is so off in lala land that drool is coming out of the corner of her mouth and you put her down she wakes RIGHT UP.

If I lay her down and leave (yes, I have tried CIO--I know we all don't believe in it but I am honest)--doesn't matter...she'll cry and cry (which I didn't last long) but I know she'd cry for hours.

I have gotten into the crib with her. Didn't matter--she wanted to play and then cry b/c she is so bloody tired and I started to worry that my pregnant A.@.S. would break the mattress, which we cannot afford a new crib mattress right now.

We have tried co-sleeping--she thinks that's play time and tries to crawl off the bed or play with the blinds.

She used to sleep in her stroller 24/7. I have no idea what she loved her stroller...it started at my moms for naps..but then she started sleeping in it at night...we thought it was the secure feeling being strapped...so we thought about swaddling her in the crib. WRONG ANSWER.

She is now not sleeping great in her stroller anymore and to be honest, I don't want her in her stroller anymore--she's going to grow out of it someday and then what do we do/where do we put her?

Here is the timeline of where Aly has slept.

0-12 weeks- In her bassinet in our room
12 weeks - September (5 months old) - in our bed, we co-slept.
5 months-7 months (in her crib on the middle setting!!)
7 months-present (in her stroller...we lowered the crib at 7 mo. and she refused to sleep so we tried the stroller and it worked like a charm..between working f/t and being in my 1st tri, my philosophy was "whatever works".

Now at 9 months she hates both the stroller and crib.

I don't know what to do ladies--She is so tired she is sick..her eyes are bloodshot and she cries--I keep giving her motrin for her teeth, popsicles, warm baths, body massages, cuddling/rocking, pacifiers, lav. ess. oil, orajel, Violet the Dog, sound machine, praying, back rubs in the crib, rocking the stroller back and forth.

She will not sleep. She will not sleep anywhere--not for naps or nighttime.

I seriously have no idea where else to put her.

She won't sleep in her crib
or her stroller
or in our bed.

She won't calm herself down from CIO
She won't stay asleep after an hour long rocking session

I honestly can say I have no idea what to do...

January 8th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I also wanted to add that I took her to the pedi's this week b/c I thought maybe it was something more than teething and the doctor said that all is well with her..no ear infections or anything. The doctor did mention that this is the time frame babies start to have nightmares.

I think her room may be haunted or demonized? Is that a word? We had this LCD nightlight that would change colors and whenever I would walk into her room at night, it was always red and looked like the devils face...I'm not kidding you--even Matt said it had a demonized face but he gave me some scientific answer about our brains being programmed to see images and yada yada yada. SO I threw away that nightlight and gave her a cheap white one.

But what if her room is haunted and that's why she hates sleeping at night?????

I am struggling ladies.

January 8th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Brannyt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh no! Poor Aly and poor you!

I know you said you tried CIO, but it seems to me to be the best option. Brynlee was like Aly in that she would get HYSTERICAL when she cried, so I thought CIO wouldn't work. But, we tried it anyway cause she wasn't sleeping well. We did it @ night first, and did her usualy bedtime routine. I put her in the crib with her blanket and turned on her soother and walked out. She cried for about 25 minutes and went to sleep.

Do you have white noise or a crib soother you could use? I don't pick Brynlee up or even go in her room unless she starts bawling. Sounds bad, but she would get more upset if I came in every 5 mins.

LOVE my siggy, thank you Meganpixel!!!!!!
January 8th, 2011, 09:38 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
How does she do on her tummy? What if you tried laying her down on her stomach? It's a PITA and hard to do, but it's worth a shot. Kolbie has ALWAYS been a tummy sleeper and we have to lay her down that way. She won't roll over on her own in her sleep. If we don't she wakes right up and is a hot mess.

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this It sounds so rough! I can't even imagine.
January 8th, 2011, 09:46 AM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry!!!!!! Kinley never slept either, her crib was just there for looks--she never slept in it--ever. We co slept and even then she didnt sleep well.

Does she take naps in your lap??? Can you just sit on the couch/chair with her and sleep with her on your chest during the day?

What about making a pallet on the floor or in the pack n play? you could lay by her on the floor and feed her a bottle and let her fall asleep. or let her watch baby einstien until she gets sleepy and falls asleep on her own?

the only way Kinley would fall asleep was when i nursed her in bed and she just fell asleep in my arms.

January 8th, 2011, 09:53 AM
We have been using the white noise machine since the hospital--I'm wondering if she's used to it.

I am going to try her tummy--i'll try anything.

I think she thinks the crib is like her pack and play and associates it with playtime.

This is nuts girls--I will do whatever it takes I just can't believe there isn't any options out there!!!!!

January 8th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannyt View Post
Oh no! Poor Aly and poor you!

I know you said you tried CIO, but it seems to me to be the best option. Brynlee was like Aly in that she would get HYSTERICAL when she cried, so I thought CIO wouldn't work. But, we tried it anyway cause she wasn't sleeping well. We did it @ night first, and did her usualy bedtime routine. I put her in the crib with her blanket and turned on her soother and walked out. She cried for about 25 minutes and went to sleep.

Do you have white noise or a crib soother you could use? I don't pick Brynlee up or even go in her room unless she starts bawling. Sounds bad, but she would get more upset if I came in every 5 mins.
This is pretty much us exactly. I can tell when letting her cry a bit won't help because she'll get pretty worked up, so in the case I go in and rock her unti she's calmed down and then put her back in her crib and she'll usually go down then.

I'm sorry Kristin... I cannot imagine! You mentioned you use a while noise machine but have you tried one of the crib soothers? We have one that has a little light up bird that goes out after a couple of minutes and then it also plays like 10 minutes of music or the music and a "soothing" projection on the ceiling. We always turn the little bird on for her (it's kind of a night light thing) and if she's really having a hard time falling asleep I'll turn the music or projection on and that usually does the trick...I do try to get her to go to sleep on her own first though.

I don't really have any advice for you though...and it sounds like you have really tried everything. Did all this start when you lowered the crib mattress? Does she have any toys in her crib? If she does maybe take everything out so she doesn't think it's playtime in there?
January 8th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Everyone else has probably covered all of the suggestions i was going to make so instead i'll just say HUGS! What would i do in this situation? CRY!

Okay actually i do have one real thought - what about driving her around?

January 8th, 2011, 12:27 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry, I have no answeres. We haven't been through this the way you described it. Usually I am able to find SOMETHING that works...The only thing I can think of and I'm not sure if you've mentioned you already did it, is to try a whole bedtime routine. Make it fairly long since it seems like she may need the longer wind down time. Maybe limit high-energy activities about an hour or an hour and a half before bedtime...do soothing activities, soft music, maybe a warm bath with bedtime baby wash...like lavender or something then follow up with night time lotion and a little massage..and then bedtime story..something that helps her understand that it is transition to bedtime time and get her mind in that groove. Conversly, maybe make sure that she also has plenty of time (not near bedtime) to do fun, high -energy things like playing, bouncing, jumping around ect. Also maybe her daytime naps should be limited (but not avoided so she doesn't get overtired) I have noticed with some of mine that when bedtime was a struggle the culprit (much to my EXTREME chagrin) was that nap time was longer than they really needed and so they fought bedtime, as they weren't tired...
I don't know Kristin, I'm totally grasping at straws to think of something helpful...I'd really give the bath a try though....

I'm not a big chiropracter person, but maybe thats worth a shot? Maybe get her an adjustment and see if it helps...like I said, I'm not big on it, but lots of really smart people I know swear by it, so maybe there is something to it????
Good luck. No sleep has to be totally rough on all of you! Hugs!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
January 8th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No real advice here as we've been blessed with great sleepers and a little CIO has always worked for us, just wanted to give you *hugs* b.c I cannot imagine how frustrating that would be!!

If you don't already do it, I totally agree with Angela's bedtime routine idea...if we've had a crazy day or get home just in time for bed and try to just throw Gavin in his crib, he has a much harder time falling asleep than nights when we've taken a bath and read a story or two.

GL! I hope you find something that works SOON!

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

January 8th, 2011, 01:09 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Angela's post did remind me... I feel like you said at one point that you don't have any routine really at all during the day? Maybe now that you are home with her it's time to start one. Not a strict one but just something so she knows where she's at in the day. Like every morning she gets yogurt in her high chair when you get up. And every afternoon you do some kind of activity. And then bedtime is always the same. I know for Kolbie it doesn't matter what we've been doing, even for naps, if I take her into her room, turn out the lights, give her a receiving blanket and wrap her in her fleece blankie, she KNOWS it's bedtime. Now somedays it might take 5 min. to get her to sleep and others an hour, but she knows that's what we're doing.
January 8th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have used CIO with both kids with great results. Lily coslept until 3 months and then we moved her to her crib. After a week or so of CIO she learned to put herself to sleep and has been great ever since.

With Grey, he has slept in his crib and with me until about a month ago. Now that he is mobile he will crawl right off the edge of my bed so he sleeps in the crib for naps and bedtime. When he wakes up to eat in the middle of the night he will go back to sleep with no complaints almost every time, but if it is a nap or bedtime he generally cries for a few minutes. If he hasn't fallen asleep or started to calm down after 5 or 10 minutes I can tell that he isn't ready.

I think maybe you will just need to let her CIO until she adapts to the crib. The older the gets the worse it is going to be, especially with another non-sleeping infant in the house.
January 8th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks girls--I'm so screwed lol.

Aly ususally plays hardcore until 7 and gets a bath and massage and put her down for the count around 8. She'll sleep until 11 and then it's go time. Her naps last 20 mins. max maybe twice a day if I'm lucky (and this was how it was at my mom's too).

I think Matt and I (as much as I hate to do this) will have to sleep seperately for awhile and take turns at night.

She's up girls--I'm not kidding...so every other night we'll just have to suck it up and stay up with her and the other parent gets to sleep. Of course this will change dramatically when I'm in my 30+ weeks of pregnancy and when baby #2 is here.

I'm losing my mind...I went out and bought some orajel max. strength--I'm not sure if it's working.

Ang--maybe I'll look into that...I get it done but I'm nervous for babies getting it done.

..sigh..thanks girls for letting me vent.

January 8th, 2011, 01:30 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Hugs hun! Lack of sleep it TOUGH! Charlie has been doing this to us at night. He used to just stay up with us until we went to bed but now I have to go to bed earlier so he'll sleep. Then he spends a lot of the night moving all over the bed. When babes master a new skill they tend to sleep less as they are excited by the new skill. Has she learned anything new lately? Is co=sleeping an option?
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
January 8th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Shantastic27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh, Kristin, what a nightmare! Here is my two cents:

1) Chiropractor helped us a lot when Livi was younger. We haven't been back for a few months, but I'm thinking it's time. I would just call different places and make sure they do infants and have infant experience. It's not the same as what they do to adults...it doesn't have to be.

2) I know it seems like you're out of options because you've tried everything...but maybe trying things again? I know that Livi goes through phases of what she does and doesn't like...and what she doesn't like today may not necessarily be the same tomorrow.

3) I was thinking the same thing as Mylene---she's going through a pretty big transition with you being home with her now. Didn't you say she's used to playing with another baby all day? Maybe she's less tired? Can you try to do some playdates, maybe keep her pretty active?

Being overtired makes it even more difficult for them to go to sleep. Good luck, keep us posted on how she's doing!

January 8th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sorry you are dealing with this! Lack of sleep is no fun at all. Vi hasn't been sleeping well, but I'm pretty sure it's due to teething.

I would probably try everything you have tried again, because some times things don't work the first time but they work the next time with babies. Do you have a swing? Violet used to only want to nap in the swing because of the movement. Maybe the rocking would help Aly?

January 8th, 2011, 03:38 PM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
OH dear Kristen, sounds so bad, and I feel so bad for you, preggo and lack of sleep. eeekkk

Livi can be like this, but I do eventually get her to sleep by co-sleeping (I have to lay down with her) and the only thing that works for Livi is to give her her blanket with a tag and satin on it and she'll cry a bit and then play with the tag/satin and usually when she's playing with the tag/satin she'll slowly drift off.

I hope you can figure something out that works for you.

HUGSSSSSSS

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

January 8th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Thanks mamas...bare with me typing...the diva's finally down but I now have a cat on my lap and God Forbid I wake her up with my typing..lol

Beth, we have tried co-sleeping but she wont do it...she wants to play and crawl around and if we lay her down she freaks out.

I'd love to try the swing but I think she's too big for it now..I can't afford her breaking my fav. baby item...that swing is going to be a lifesaver when hunhun2 is here.

Aly has been on a sleep schedule..well going to be usually around 8 for the past two weeks...I know it's her teeth..well, I know her teeth are upsetting her...she really hates her crib..but if she wasn't teething I think she may not be AS mad as she is now.

I don't mind the sleepness as much as her crying/in pain and also, I'm so bloody scared this will cont. when hunhun2 comes...I'm already dealing with a lot of close spaced sibling anxiety--I'm not going to lie--I am TERRIFIED of what will happen to our lives when we have two babies..i can't even imagine it and I have no one in real life to base it off of...I'm scared...I'm a mess right now with this...I am going to miss having my diva to myself..just the 3 of us right now, you know? I'm nervous how Matt and I will handle two diva daughters...I'm scared I won't have a bond with hunhun2...I'm scared I will have a nervous breakdown when both are crying...it makes me sad to think of not having my attention to the diva 100%. This is a normal cause of anxiety I'm sure.

Oh girls...I just wish she'd be a good girl and sleep in her crib!

January 8th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
((HUGS)) girl! Mason was a bad sleeper but at least I could put him in my bed and he'd pass out.

I agree with trying a longer bed time routine. The more tired she is the harder it's going to be to get her to sleep.

January 9th, 2011, 08:13 AM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
i'm not sure if anyone suggested this or not..

but do you have a pack and play/play pen? could you set it up in your room and see if she'll sleep in it in your room?

its worth a try, right?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search