I start college next week so what do I do with Mason?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Next week I start college full time. My classes start at 8 and it's a 45 minute drive so I have to be on the road by 7:10.

Anyway my problem is Mason doesn't sleep in his bed all night. He usually gets in our bed around 3 or 4 every morning then as soon I get up for the day he gets up to b/c he always notices I'm not there anymore. The problem is when he wakes like that he's a cranky mess unless I hold him.

Now I'll have to be up by 5:30 every day b/c I have to get myself ready and get my ds fed and ready for school plus get Emmy and Mason ready to go to my MIL's and still leave on time.

So what do I do with Mason in the mornings? If he would sleep in his own bed than he'd sleep right through me getting up and I could wake him every morning AFTER I get myself and the older kids ready but he always wakes up crying and I just put him in my bed.

I'm not sure how I'll make this all work. My dh has to be gone by 4 am most days and on other days by 6 am so he'll never be here to help. I'm going from 8-11:40 on Mondays and Wednesdays and then in between I have 2 other classes I'm taking that are internet courses. I could have bumped it up and went at like 9:20 but then it would be almost 2 pm before I'd be done b/c of the lunch break in between- I think I'll have to do this in the fall though b/c my dd starts school also.

My MIL is very sweet her solution? Mason can stay the night with her those 2 days a week. That's a sweet offer but I think it's my job to make this work myself you know?

Any tips?

I worked when my oldest ds was a baby but he was plenty happy to play in the Exersaucer every morning while I got ready. Mason's like me and he's not a morning person.

Sometimes I think I'm crazy. I mean I'm busy enough with my kids, the housework and dh's side business but years ago I started on my accounting degree and I would really, really like to finish it.

January 12th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
I don't have any advice. I just wanted to say good luck on going to school!!!

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

January 12th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Could you try to transition him to being in his crib all night? It would be a rough couple of days - but good in the long run. Jed will often wake at 3 or 4 and I can give him his binky and blanket and rub his back and he goes back to sleep. Could you work on something like that?

I have to get up at 5 too, and usually if Jed wakes up while I am getting ready, DH plays with him until I am done and then he gets ready. If for some reason DH has to be at work early, I give Jed a toy or toy on the floor of the bathroom and finish getting ready.

January 12th, 2011, 12:49 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wish I had advice for you but I think its one of those things that you probably just have to play out as it goes and along the way it will find its groove..KWIM? I'd just see how things happen and go from there with what works best....I also think your MIL's offer was very sweet but I'm with you- I couldn't have my baby sleeping somewhere else away from me two nights a week...
I think it might be rough the first several days but then things will sort of work their way out...
Good luck. I think its awesome that you are finishing your degree. I'm finishing one up also and even though its internet classes and I don't have to deal with near as much as you with childcare, getting kids ready ect, its still hard to balance everything! I'm thinking of you and sending you positive vibes!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
January 12th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittynoah View Post
Could you try to transition him to being in his crib all night? It would be a rough couple of days - but good in the long run. Jed will often wake at 3 or 4 and I can give him his binky and blanket and rub his back and he goes back to sleep. Could you work on something like that?

I have to get up at 5 too, and usually if Jed wakes up while I am getting ready, DH plays with him until I am done and then he gets ready. If for some reason DH has to be at work early, I give Jed a toy or toy on the floor of the bathroom and finish getting ready.
I need to do this I really do. Even if it means I get less sleep over the next few days I need to just get up when he wakes up and try to get him back to sleep in his own room. That would be the best thing for all of us.

I think Angela is right though I think it's going to take just doing it a few times and then hopefully we'll get in a routine. Luckily Monday is a holiday so next week I only have class on Wednesday. That gives me plenty of time to recover and regroup if Wednesday morning turns out horrible. LOL

Sometimes I really think I've lost my mind and sometimes I wonder if I really can do this. I've been out of school so long now that I second guess myself but I'm sure it will all come back to me within a few days. I have 2 simple classes, 1 that will be a little harder and then I'm taking English Composition which I think will be the hardest and most involved just b/c of all the essays I'll have to do. It's been so long since I've written an essay. Sigh. If it goes well then in Summer I I plan to take the Second and only other English I'll need- may as well get it done with it.

January 12th, 2011, 04:28 PM
homeschooling mom of 2
what about a sling or backpack you can put him in while you go about your morning routine so he feels like you're holding him the whole time?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search