First Birthday Party/Celebrations

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2011, 08:29 AM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know Mikey has celebrated his first birthday. WOW! Still can't believe he is one already!!

Anyways, since March/April is going to be here sooner than we think, who has thought about birthdays yet? What are your plans? Any themed parties?

Just curious to see what everyone does/will do.

January 12th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We just had a small, quickly thrown together party while we were in town for Christmas, i feel bad we didnt do more but i'll do it up next year when he realizes whats going on

January 12th, 2011, 08:44 AM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just started thinking about this Monday. Really I'm just trying to find ideas for here 1st birthday pictures. I'll do about what I did for DS juts the girl version. I might make she birthday tut and bow soon so I don't have to worry about those but everything will wait till the beginning of March.

January 12th, 2011, 09:04 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
No clue! My niece's birthday is the day before so that will always make scheduling a little hard. I'd love to do something big since we went all out for Lily's first birthday but we'll see.
January 12th, 2011, 10:29 AM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So far all we have is the date "penciled" in on everyone's calendar.
And I sort of have a theme. I want to do an outerspace.

January 12th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Brannyt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm trying to do Brynlee's back in CO so we can be around family. Now that DH can't make it back it's more important to me than ever. I'm torn on what to do since we don't live there and will either have to do it at someone's home or think of something else.

LOVE my siggy, thank you Meganpixel!!!!!!
January 12th, 2011, 11:42 AM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ugggg. My post just deleted!
Anyway, I am having a birthday party/baby dedication combined for Mia on her b-day. We have always held a blessing/dedication for our babies and somehow we havent' done Mia's yet so I decided to do it at her birthday party since we have so much family out of state. That way, they can be present for all of it. I THINK it will be on her actual b-day though i'm not certain yet. Still waiting for FIL to let me know when he can make it. Since he's a pastor...he's sort of important on the baby dedication end....
Planning to do a butterfly theme but trying to figure out how to do it in a way that still keeps the blessing/baby ded part of it solemn and spiritual but allows the b-day part to be fun and festive...I think the colors are going to be pink and green...something spring-y.
Probably going to hold it at our towns Visitor's Center- it only costs $50 to rent and its nice....although I guess we could do it at home...not sure yet.
I have bought her a dress for it. Since she's older than her sisters were at their dedication the size 6 month christening dress prolly isn't going to fit. I bought her a really pretty white Easter dress with butterflies and flower petals that will work perfectly. Plus I have a pink tulle birthday girl dress from BRU that all our daughters have worn on their b-day. I think I'll have her wear the white dress for her blessing/dedication ceremony and then the pink one for the b-day part and for cake.
Not sure what we are doing for food. Thinking of catering some and doing some ourself. No idea what we are even having. I'd like to do a traditional Italian menu but not sure how expensive that would be to cater...still in the planning stages...

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
January 12th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've scheduled Violet's, but haven't planned anything. I just know the date. Traditionally, first birthdays are huge for Koreans and they get crazy. Lily's party had over 150 people at our house and it cost $$$$. DH and I aren't so sure we want to do that again because it was just insane. Lily was overwhelmed by everyone and I don't think she enjoyed it.

So, we're thinking of doing something smaller, but still having Vi wear the hanbok (traditional Korean dress) and doing some of the traditional customs, but not all of them. For Lily's party we had to rent these Korean tower things that represent good luck, etc and I don't think we'll do those for Violet. DH wants to do a Hawaiian themed party and get food catered by a Hawaiian restaurant in the area.

I have to say that I feel kinda bad about not giving Vi as big of a party as we gave Lily. Even though it'll save us thousands, it just doesn't seem fair for her, although I think she'd enjoy a smaller event more. I dunno I just feel like we should do the same thing we did for Lily to keep things even. But things are never going to be even anyway, right?

January 12th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We usually barbecue and have friends and family over, but I have several cousins who have birthdays in March already so my uncle throws a big party in March for them all. We may celebrate Mason's then and just have cake at home on his actual birthday.

January 12th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This one has me stumped...

I know we are going to do family and just have them over to the house but...

DH wants to invite everyone! His family normally invites all the aunts, cousins - everyone. And I don't mean Jed's aunts (my sisters and DH's siblings) - I mean DH's adult cousins, their families, etc! It is insane and they won't all fit in my house and I can't afford to feed them all a meal. I know that sounds bad - but when you do up a spread for that many, it gets pricey.

So I want to just invite my sisters and their husbands/kids. DH's siblings and their families, and the grandparents. That alone is 24 people plus me and DH!

DH suggested doing two parties - one for my side and one for his side - but that is just double the cost...and large groups at my house make me insane. His neices and nephews don't know how to behave and destroy everything everytime they come over. I mean every.dang.time.

So I think we may have to compromise to figure something out. Maybe he can invite who he wants but it is a cake/ice cream/snack party - not a meal. I dont' know when it becamae that you had to have a meal for every party!

I don't know...I just keep telling myself I have a few months since Jed's b-day is at the very end of April.

January 12th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Shantastic27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am VERY excited about this, and planning already. I'm going to rent the room that I did my babyshower in (my house is too small!) which is at the AmericInn. The room has a pool off of it, so we'll probably use the pool too! I'm going to do a meal, cake, and ice cream. The decor will involve lots of pink, tulle, fluffy stuff.

Yay!!

Oh! And Shelley--I think it's fine not to do the big party. I'm sure that Vi won't think you love her any less .

January 12th, 2011, 06:12 PM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kinley's is in July, so we had a big barbecue at my parents' house since they have an inground pool--we had a bunch of family come. For her first bday I really wanted it to be on her actual birthday. Same with Karsyn, which happens to be on a Saturday so its perfect (I think Kinley's was like a Wed lol).....I've had 2 of Kinley's bdays as a swimming party and her last bday at my mom's soda shoppe and it was ice cream cone themed. For Karsyn I'm thinking pink/girly/princess (like Kinley's first bday--we also had a huge cupcake cake and a Cabbage Patch cake that I had at my first bday) and maybe we'll have it at our house since it will be too cold to go swimming. I'm sure we will probably just do an early party and have cake and ice cream (since the steakhouse my whole family works at will be open at 4 that night I'll have to work lol ) and play in the back yard. I don't usually go too over the top for birthdays...I send out invites that I make myself about 2 weeks before the party.

January 12th, 2011, 07:09 PM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am not quite sure yet what we are going to do, but I do know the theme...SOCK MONKEYS!! I love sock monkeys and Chase has his own sock monkey that my mom gave him when he had his surgery. We are trying to decide between doing it at our house or doing it at a park near our house but are worried about weather. I am thinking about possibly renting something out that wouldn't be too expensive but just cant decide really. I want it to be special and fun but not too fancy/crazy. I want it to be fun and relaxed, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE planning parties, thinking about decorations, food, etc. It is all up in the air right now!

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

January 12th, 2011, 08:10 PM
HopelessP's Avatar Ashlyn's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to HopelessP Send a message via Yahoo to HopelessP
We're probably not having a party for Ashlyn. There's just too much drama all around to have everyone there. My dad hates my mom so I can't invite both of them. My dad absolutely does not want to meet Eric's mom EVER so I don't want both of them there. My mom hates Eric's mom. My mom doesn't want to see Eric and vice versa. Ok this is making my family look bad but there is legit reasons for all of this. It's just a big mess and unfortunately Ashlyn is the one who is going to suffer.

I was thinking about having something at the gym she's going to...i could invite her classmates and any friends with kids but I don't know too many ppl who have kids so we'll see about that one.

January 12th, 2011, 08:49 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
As of today I have exactly 2 months and 2 weeks to figure it out! (Kinda handy the girls are 2 years, 2 months and 2 weeks apart ) We'll have something here at the house or we'll get a pavilion at a park if it's nice. That's the tricky part about Iowa in Spring. We could potentially have snow on March 26th It'll be the same friends we had over tonight and I'd like to think my family will make it out. Kolbie's birthday is on a Saturday this year so hopefully with enough notice they'll be here.
January 13th, 2011, 07:22 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittynoah View Post

DH suggested doing two parties - one for my side and one for his side - but that is just double the cost...and large groups at my house make me insane. His neices and nephews don't know how to behave and destroy everything everytime they come over. I mean every.dang.time.
DH's nieces do the same but we can't not invite them. At Thanksgiving they pulled all the drawers out of Lily's chest and climbed on top of it, jumped on the bed, pulled most of her clothes out of her drawers, and then refused to clean up. They're coming over for Lily's birthday next week. Last year they opened all of her presents before she could get to them. Sigh.
January 13th, 2011, 08:28 AM
J-V221's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by corny7474 View Post
Last year they opened all of her presents before she could get to them. Sigh.
YOUR KIDDING! I would have been furious!

Anyway, I have no idea what to do for Addisyn's birthday. We really don't have small cousins for her at.all and it will just be family. So it will just be family I think.
January 13th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to SailorsWife
Princess theme here!!! But for anyone who has seen Rilynn's nursery, my siggie, our disney pics, etc., that shouldn't really be a surprise haha!!! Not entirely sure what we're going to do, I just know my theme. My family lives mostly up in Fresno, while only my mom lives here in San Diego. We'll probably end up doing 2 parties so everyone can be a part.

Forever Missing Our 4 Angel Babies... Forever Missed, Always Loved
January 13th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I just started planning Carter's party. I know the date and I know we are going to do a sock monkey theme. Found invites on etsy already and found a pic of a cake that we want to do. We want to do something small with just family and a few close friends. Planning on grilling so hopefully the weather will be nice. It seems like it's a long ways away but it so isn't!!

January 13th, 2011, 09:17 PM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCR View Post
I just started planning Carter's party. I know the date and I know we are going to do a sock monkey theme.
We are doing a sock monkey theme too!!!! Did you read my post about it? That is so funny, I cant wait to compare our parties and see what different things we did!!!!! Sock monkeys are the best!

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search