Baby Proofing

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2011, 03:03 PM
who_it_is's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Now that we are getting some real movers and shakers around here, what has everyone done to baby proof their homes, especially their LO's play area?

Noelle's main play area is in our living room. And honestly we haven't done a ton of baby proofing yet because she isn't moving around too much, but I see that changing quickly. We have some outlet covers that I just need to plug in, and then I have to figure out something to do with the entertainment center (that has glass doors on the bottom and all of the kids board games inside) and the fireplace hearth (which is huge and stone and not very noggin friendly, but since we are renting we can't put anything permanent of adhesive on it). Our other big problem area is the dogs and their potty crate. We have that in a seperate part of the kitchen/dining room area and they are used to pottying in the crate (with puppy pads) but it's still a bit accessible for a quickly crawling little one. They are outside trained, but when the weather is cold like it is now, the won't step foot outside because they are not a breed with fur to keep them warm. So I have to figure out something for that too.

To the Amazing Kelly: Thank you once again!! Amazing only begins to cover it.
January 12th, 2011, 04:04 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We pushed our coffee table (it's like a wooden hope chest) against a wall because it has sharper corners and it's easy for a baby to lift the lid slightly and get fingers under it.

We don't have a mantel in this house, but at our old house when DS was little we put this foam stuff along the mantel... then I bought another package and put it along things like the window ledge (right at baby's head height) and end tables, etc.

It's like this: Prince Lionheart - Safety - #0095 - Cushiony Fireplace Guard

January 12th, 2011, 05:22 PM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My house is pretty much still baby proofed, locks on cabinets and doors, outlet covers, we have a foam piece over our stone mantle in case of falls, etc. we have a playroom and it is pretty safe in there, I moved all Syd's little toys with pieces to her room so Sam doesn't get ahold of them. Most of Sam's floor time is either in the playroom or our family room because those are the areas with the most carpet, we have all hardwoods and area rugs so I try to keep him on the carpet as best I can but he seems to like sliding himself across the hardwood floors LOL
January 12th, 2011, 05:24 PM
MomTo3LittleBoys's Avatar Love my house of boys!
Ugh I need to! Ethan is crawling everywhere!! I need to get a baby gate to keep him in the living room. We dont have any stairs which is good though. Need to cover some outlets!
DS3- Born 11/4/14
January 13th, 2011, 07:26 AM
LOUSEE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is my goal this weekend. Jaxon isnt crawling yet, but is sliding all over the floors. Between a 120 LB Dog, DH and Jaxon it is like I can never keep up with all the house work so I want to make the living room his "safe haven" kinda thing. I already have gates but I really need to clean the base boards and do the plugs. I also need to figure out what to do about the stupid cat litter box... So much to do...
January 13th, 2011, 07:43 AM
shannonranee
The only things we are doing is putting bumpers (I am making them) on the fireplace hearth and outlet covers. we have an entertainment center but even if she gets into it there is nothing she can hurt or that can hurt her. I hate nicknack so we dont have any. I think I am different then most people in that I dont beliee in the all out baby proof EVERYTHING. I just put the things that can hurt them up where they cant reach.
January 13th, 2011, 08:00 AM
ipsa's Avatar Mommy Times Two
Ugh, I am dreading this. We have SO MUCH to do, and I know I need to do it now before she starts crawling all over.

thanks to Jenn for this beautiful siggy

[/url]
January 13th, 2011, 08:16 AM
handymandy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't even know the first thing to do here! I know I will not think of everything and she will be in to SOMETHING! She is already making a beeline for cords! Yes, even in the brace she is pretty quick. When she wants something, she uses her arms and army crawls straight to it! It's not long before she gets out of that thing and I know she is going to be up on her knees and crawling in no time, so I need to get moving on this!

January 13th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsa View Post
Ugh, I am dreading this. We have SO MUCH to do, and I know I need to do it now before she starts crawling all over.
Ditto!

January 13th, 2011, 08:21 AM
ChoMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Only thing we got done was covered all the outlets, when Alicia is in her walker she was going for them all the time, so we did that. But we also have a glass tv stand and a fireplace that I need to cover & stairs and other things I'm sure yet I haven't started blah!!

January 13th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Shannon - when you are done with the bumpers would you mind posting a pic? Other than a huge gate through the middle of the living room I am having the hardest time coming up with something to do with the fireplace hearth. I can't use the adhesive bumpers they sell in the store because of the adhesive (we rent and if the adhesive didn't come off the cost of replacing the very large stone hearth would be on us).

January 13th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Momeejenjen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Momeejenjen
We have a lot to do
January 13th, 2011, 09:41 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by who_it_is View Post
Shannon - when you are done with the bumpers would you mind posting a pic? Other than a huge gate through the middle of the living room I am having the hardest time coming up with something to do with the fireplace hearth. I can't use the adhesive bumpers they sell in the store because of the adhesive (we rent and if the adhesive didn't come off the cost of replacing the very large stone hearth would be on us).

we use the adhesive kind but my friend used the pipe insulation stuff around hers, it is like round and foam sorta like a pool noodle for lack of a better description LOL and it has a slit on one side so you can just slip in over the edge....does that make sense? probably not as attractive as a sewn one but it seemed to work for them, probably depends on exactly how thick the stone is though.
January 13th, 2011, 09:44 AM
That might work actaully. I didn't think of that. It about a 3 inch thick stone slab, so I might have to go with a pool noodle and just slit it down the back, but definately something to try.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search