Baby Led Soilds

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2011, 02:19 PM
who_it_is's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
also known as baby led weaning. Is anyone using this approach for the LO?

Baby Led Weaning - Your Questions Answered

We are pretty mcuh switched over to baby led soilds most of the time for Noelle. She seems just much happier because she can do it herself. I was totally worried at first that she would choke or something, but I have seen in the two weeks that we have been doing it her become quite skilled at getting just the right amount in her mouth and manipulating it to be able to swallow. It really is pretty amazing what she can do, even at her age. I have hesitated to mention anything about it here because it seemed like most people have been going the pureed route, but I just saw there was some postings about it in the May PR so thought I would ask here.

To the Amazing Kelly: Thank you once again!! Amazing only begins to cover it.
January 12th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Morgan2006's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is really the route I wanted to take, but we have SO MUCH BABY FOOD from my mom, i'm trying to use up at least some of the organic stuff and then i'll probably give the rest to the food pantry at our church (it's ALOT of baby food). What kinds of food did you start her out with?
January 12th, 2011, 02:36 PM
We started a little backards, so waffle was her first "table food" that she fed herself. She had had little bits of other things off our plates here and there, but that was the first time I let her have at it herself. From there she has had pretty much everything that she has already had in puree form: apple, banana, avocado (which she hated pureed, but loves in chunks), carrots, sweet potato, squash. We have done pasta (small wagon wheels worked great the other night), veggie burger strips, pankakes, soy cream cheese and either apple butter or SF jam on lightly toasted bread (is her current fave). I think we are going to try tofu cubes this weekend after I go to the store.

The list of what to try was pretty easy for us, because she had already tried many of them in puree form.

January 12th, 2011, 02:36 PM
shannonranee
my kid would starve if we tried this - she refuses to feed herself (or hold her own bottle)
January 12th, 2011, 02:58 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to read the link but I have to admit the little I've heard of it on JM here and there confuses me a little... I guess I always figured purees were a "natural" way to start since in nature, many animals pre-chew food for their yougn, and even in most aboriginal cultures today the mother will chew a food before giving it to the baby. So I never understood why giving purees is deemed as somehow not the "natural" path?

But I'm always open to new ideas... and at this point, I'm finding baby feeding to be such a hassle (it was so fun with DS, but doing it with baby 2 while trying to feed a 3.5 year old is a lot of work, lol) that maybe I can learn something new that will make it a little more independent, lol!!

January 12th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Elias would have a great time with it, but he has a HORRIBLE gag reflex. He hasn't started solids because of it. I tried giving him some pear puree, and he couldn't even managed to down that! Rebecca was a baby-led solids kid though. She didn't like purees at ALL.
January 12th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Quote:
I guess I always figured purees were a "natural" way to start since in nature, many animals pre-chew food for their yougn, and even in most aboriginal cultures today the mother will chew a food before giving it to the baby. So I never understood why giving purees is deemed as somehow not the "natural" path?
I thought that as well. It just made sense to me that purees were the way to go and then more solid food later. But the more I read, the more I see how this makes sense, too. With purees the adult is determining how much and how quickly the LO eats. If they are doing it themselves, they are in control of that. It's interesting to see to me that most of the information I have found is also on cites that are pro-breastfeeding, and many articles draw a link between the BF baby being able to feed how much/when they want and baby led solids.

For me, it wasn't until just recently that I even knew it was a "thing". With my older two I started them on purees and then introduced table foods as they seemed interested and ready. It just seemed to me to be the natural progression of things.

January 12th, 2011, 03:20 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, from that angle, it makes a lot of sense.... we never know how much a BF baby has drank. Even though Emily is FF, I have always tried to maintain a feed-on-demand schedule, when she wants to have a bottle and how much of it she wants. It does become tempting to get her to "finish the bottle", like if she's started to nod off, but I try to remember that if she was BF, I wouldn't know if she'd had 4 oz or 6 oz or 8.

So yeah, it makes sense that a baby would be able to self-regulate the amount of solids too, since they'd stop when full, etc.

Hmmm, interesting....

January 12th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Veteran
Wow, I've never heard of this! I think it sounds like a great idea and I'm definitely going to look into it more. Thanks for posting!
January 12th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Super Mommy
I wanted to do baby led solids but as soon as Vinny hit 4 months DH bugged me day and night to start feeding him baby food so I finally caved. Now he is eating baby food 3 times a day (and still nursing every 2 hours without skipping) but I've been trying to feed him actual food. Today I gave him a piece of banana and some puffs and it wasn't that great... he didn't want to pick up the puffs to feed himself and he couldn't seem to hold onto the banana. He was also very cranky and tired so I'm going to try again at dinner tonight. Until then, I'll fill in the gaps with BM and baby food.

January 12th, 2011, 07:55 PM
josie_24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it's a great idea and concept and fully support it...however I'm so scared of choking it's ridiculous. I'm trying to make all our food so I can make it chunkier faster so he can get table food. I am sure with my second I won't be such a weenie about choking LOL

Thank you Kellarazzi for my siggie!!
January 12th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Mama Chemist 73's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At first Sarah loved the baby food, but lately she's not wanted them. Maybe I'll try some food this way. Can't hurt. BTW, does Noelle have any teeth? Sarah only has one trying to break through. I'd be a bit afraid she's choke.

My Ovulation Chart
January 13th, 2011, 06:20 AM
LOUSEE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is very intersting and had never heard of it before. I am def. going to look into it more.
January 13th, 2011, 06:27 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
This is the approach I'm planning to take with Heidi. She's had a couple bites of plain bread and some homemade waffle, but she doesn't chew yet, or pick up food herself, so we haven't REALLY started solids with her. I tried the purees with her, and she wants nothing to do with them. Lauren never really went for the purees either. *shrug*
January 13th, 2011, 06:30 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I get the concept and if it works and everyone is happy I think that is great....Sam loves purees, like really loves them, there is no force feeding the kid his mouth is open and ready for the next bite and if I am not fast enough he lets me know! when he is done he turns his head and that's that......table foods are hit or miss with him, he is just now starting to get into feeding himself and he isn't always great at it but if he sees me with a spoon his "happy meter" is thru the roof! LOL IDK my dd didn't like purees as much and was mostly on table food by this age but Sam seems very different in the feeding department. I think if I stopped purees at this point Sam would be pretty peeved at me LOL
January 13th, 2011, 07:43 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
That is what I'm doing with my DD. (She is a June baby but I was due in May) She has only had one jar of purees (this week actually) and it was because she seemed a little constipated so I was looking for prunes to give her (only found plums). She loves to feed herself. If anyone is interested, I really recommend this book: Amazon.com: Baby-Led Weaning: The Essential Guide to Introducing Solid Foods-and Helping Your Baby to Grow Up a Happy and Confident Eater (9781615190218): Gill Rapley, Tracey Murkett: Books

January 13th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ummm... I guess that is what we are doing, but not on purpose! LOL She wanted finger foods, so I give her finger foods. If I try to give her puree and everyone else is eating, she won't eat the puree but wants the finger food. I didn't know it had a name or anything

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
January 13th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescence View Post
ummm... I guess that is what we are doing, but not on purpose! LOL She wanted finger foods, so I give her finger foods. If I try to give her puree and everyone else is eating, she won't eat the puree but wants the finger food. I didn't know it had a name or anything
That's kind of what we did. I too didn't realize it had a name or a method until just recently. lol

MamaChemist - no, she doesn't have teeth yet, just strong chomping gums. I don't give her anything hard or crunchy. Everything is pretty easily mush-able.

January 13th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
To the question about teeth, they really don't need them to eat soft table foods. They can do a really good job of chewing with their gums. My son didn't get teeth until he was a year old and was on table food long before that.

January 13th, 2011, 10:38 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescence View Post
This! lol

As for teeth.. their gums are REALLY hard as well, and they can generally gum things to death pretty effectively.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search