She won't let me put her down!

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
Okay, so far, my least fav. months seem to be 8-9...she's not a happy baby anymore. All she does is cry..24/7...I don't understand

I can't type much b/c she's 5 seconds away from screaming her head off again.

But here's her new thing she's doing--she won't let me put her down. I can't even put her in front of her toys and be in the SAME ROOM with her. If I'm not holding her, she's full on screaming, tears streaming, not painful cry but angry cry.

Is this seperation anxiety? I thought that phase already passed in our babies? I also thought since she has been with 1000 people b/c of me working she wouldn't have this phase hit her.

If it is, what do I do? I can't wear her b/c of my belly...although I thought of doing that...but I know if I put too much pressure on my uterus (holding her for a long period of time, if she kicks me in the stomach, if I have to lean against the crib rail for 30 mins to rub her back, etc), I start to cramp and need to sit.

So wearing her would be a great thing--do they make carriers for pregnant ladies? Maybe on my back??

Anyways, BTDT moms--please tell me everything you know about seperation anxiety...thanks!!

January 14th, 2011, 07:37 AM
LisaBrown's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it's probably the nasty 9 month growth spurt, and she's probably adjusting to having mommy home with her all the time and doesn't want you to leave ever again. Didi was SUPER cranky around 8.5-9 months but it settles down and she's been great again ever since. I'm thinking there might be some teething involved too, maybe? Just want to give you some great big !!! I don't know if you could wear her on your back while preggo, I'd call the OB to check first just to make 100% sure before you try it. GL and KUP!!!

January 14th, 2011, 09:16 AM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
Oh I hear you girl! Livi has been like that for the past 3-4ish weeks. She WILL NOT play on the floor AT ALL, and will only stand minimal time if any in her jumperoo. She is happiest in the morning, but by after noon I HAVE to be holding her. Sometimes I have to put her down and she SCREAMS.

Since I'm overweight, those carriers don't work for me either. The only thing that sometimes helps is to change her environment or to let her hold or play with something she has not played with before. Livi is barely ever in our kitchen, so I'll bring her bumbo (she can still sit in hers) and put it on the counter by the window and she'll be happy for a bit there. When she starts to get upset, I give her a container or something and she'll play with that. I'm running out of safe new things to give her.

I'm guessing it's a mixture of separation anxiety/growth spurt/ teething, because she was also doing a eating strike yesterday, and the day before and would barely eat. but in the few days before that she was up twice for a bottle at night and she never does that. She has been sleeping more than usual too. The day before yesterday she had 4 naps, and is pretty restless at night when she sleeps.

Has Aly had any other changes besides not being able to put her down? I know you said before you were having problems with sleeping? How about eating? or Teething?

This is all new to me. My first was not like this much at all.

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

January 14th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Baby Wrangler
Same problems over here but she's eating constantly so I have to assume it's the 9 month growth spurt. She always hits hers early so I figured it was coming when she started downing all bottles and hitting me up for anything and everything on my plate. She's not sleeping well at night and she's refusing naps right now, doesn't want to be put down and doesn't want me out of her sight. Getting out of the house seems to be the only thing, I think she needs more activity and isn't getting enough because she wants to be held so much but going to stores seems to help a little. I'm hoping it gets better once she's walking...*hoping!*
January 14th, 2011, 09:45 AM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Its just a phase! Kinley did that---if I was in the room I had to be holding her. If someone else, even DH, was holding her-she would cry until I held her. Then she was happy! She was SUCH a mommy's girl for a long time..but it eventually passed and now she is a total daddy's girl! Karsyn hasn't gotten bad yet....she usually dives for me if someone else has her for a few min, but so far shes ok playing on the floor with me in the room.

Try holding her and letting her play with a toy...then after a little while, move her to sit by you still playing with the toy. If you leave the room, take her with you and put her beside you if you have to do something..like cook/go to the bathroom/etc. Don't leave her in the room by herself because it usually makes it worse. Talk to her while you are playing with her--then talk to her when you are taking her into the next room. Then after a little while try walking out of the room--but talk to her from the next room so she can still hear you. Kinley got to the point where she would just follow me wherever I went, crying until I acknowledged her. It is just a phase and it will pass! Eventually she'll be more comfortable with you putting her down because after a while shell want to explore everything on her own!

January 14th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It's a phase! Vi was doing it a few weeks ago and has finally started to be okay again. I think it's separation anxiety combined with a growth spurt + teething. Not fun at all. Separation anxiety doesn't ever really go away for some kids, but they do get better about not crying when you put them down.

There are plenty of carriers you can use to carry on your back including the Ergo, Babyhawk, Beco, and others. I carried Lily while pregnant with Violet and it was fine.

January 14th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm right there with this last week. Cohen's first 2 teeth came through and he's going through that 9 month (omg) growth spurt.......so teething, painful mouth and baby that wants/needs to nurse 24-7, but can't because it hurts so bad=very unhappy boy It's so hard when you are in the moment and feel like it's going to last forever. It's brought me back to the first 7 months of Kellan's life. He was a very high maintenance baby. It was rough and I thought it would never end. But good news is, it will! And it will all become a distant memory. I know that doesn't help you now and I really have no advice.....I can just let you know you aren't alone and this too shall pass. Hugs mama! Hopefully this phase is short lived!

January 14th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
Oh Kristin, I just want to send you huge huge HUGS!!!!!!!! I hope this phase passes quickly!!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
January 14th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks girls...Her two front teeth are coming in...it's taking forever...when does the pain stop with this? When you can see the teeth clear as day? I thought if her tooth just cut through it relieved the pain..but now I'm thinking the actual tooth has to be out, not just a tip of it?

If only it was warm here...we could be outside...I never knew about a 9 month growth spurt? What happens during this time? Just always hungry?

January 14th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Usually growth spurts make babies either tired or cranky, sometimes both. Plus, extra hungry. They occur every 3 months or so into toddlerhood at this point.

Teething pain varies for each child. Lily cut teeth easily with no fuss, just a high fever. Vi has major teething pain for weeks and then after the tooth is halfway through the gum she seems calmer. Her top front teeth are cutting and it is super glassy on her gums there and you can see the teeth, but they haven't cut them gum yet. She's been extra fussy for over a week and they've been like that for about that length of time. She's a slow teether

January 14th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Poor sweet girl...Aly's a poor teether too...Aly and Vi are so alike. I hope that hunhun2 is like Lily and is calmer.

January 14th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Shantastic27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Livi has been doing this separation thing too. She's fine to sit next to me on the couch or chair, but as soon as I stand up there is whining, crying, and lots of tears! Sometimes she'll cry when dh is holding her but as soon as I take her she'll stop.

January 14th, 2011, 08:01 PM
k8liz311's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh the two front teeth were horrible for both of my boys! None of the others seems to effect either of them but they both got really cranky with the front two. They are big teeth!!

Luke has been the same way. which is hard on me because he's such a calm baby so when he gets needy, it's hard.
It will pass.. she will be her happy self. i thought that everyone had great suggestions.

January 14th, 2011, 08:09 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
yup. Our jumpy seat thingy is useless at this point. Mia screams as soon as she feels her feet touching the edge of it.
Ditto when she feels me lowering her to the floor to play with toys. Ditto when I pass her to a sibling. The ONLY thing she'll tolerate is getting in her high chair and eating a snack. And that wears thin after a while.
I think she's got some seperation anx going too. If I give her to Albert, she gets this totally panicky look on her face. She tracks me with her eyes everywhere I go looking and sometimes acting desperate to get back in my arms. It's not enough for her to be held by someone. It often must be ME!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search