random thought about PPD

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2011, 04:35 PM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
What do you think mother's did back before antidepressants/anti-anxiety meds existed? I was wondering this today because I went to the doctor to start weaning myself off of celexa. I was thinking how much it litterally saved my life after Audrey was born. I tried imaging what I would've done if I hadn't gotten the medication, and that thought wasn't pleasant. It makes me think is that why some mother's commit horrid crimes? or leave their children? But its not that common to hear of mother's doing bad insane things to their children, or leaving... most mother's stick around (whether they're good or bad).. So was PPD/anxiety not as big of an issue as it is now? because we all know someone who has had it...

Just a random thought... My doctor is weaning me off very slowly, its going to take about 6 weeks, just so I don't put myself through an insane shock or something, especially if I still end up needing them.

*I'm throwing an edit in here.. Most people with PPD suffer from only depression right? Mine was ALL anxiety and no depression.. unless they go hand in hand.. but when I wasn't having a panic attack, I felt great, and really embarrassed/ashamed of myself for being anxious... Maybe it makes a difference..

Last edited by fibigrey; January 14th, 2011 at 04:37 PM.
January 14th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That's great that you are able to start weaning off the Celexa!

There are a lot of homeopathic and herbal things that people used to do a lot more. I know there are certain foods you can eat, etc to help with depression so I'm sure people just used to do more of those things. It's still what is done in most parts of the world since most people don't have access to antidepressants.

I know Koreans give seaweed soup to all women who have just had a baby in a hospital and at home. The iron and other nutrients help bring in your milk, replenish your blood supply, and are supposed to help combat any PPD as well. I know that there are lots of herbal things that Eastern medicine practitioners use.

January 14th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
That's wonderful hun! I'm so glad we have modern medicine too. But I agree with Shelley they did a lot of homeopathic remedies back in the day.

Shelley, did you eat seaweed soup? Is it gross? Where do you find it? I wouldn't be oppose to trying it for hunhun2. I was really low on iron for the first couple days and was so pale and shakey.

January 14th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yep, I ate it after having both girls for a week straight. I had it at least once a day, sometimes twice. It's pretty tasty actually. Do you ever eat seaweed in sushi, etc? It just tastes like the ocean to me. Here's a super easy recipe for it (you can leave out the beef if you want): Korean Seaweed soup

January 14th, 2011, 05:22 PM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
ohh, you know, if I ever have another baby, I'm all for that seaweed soup!!

I never thought of homeopathic things....
January 16th, 2011, 01:21 AM
Tiny Loves
I encapsulated my placenta and took it to ward off PPD, help enrich my milk and also lessen blood loss. I'm big on homeopathic remedies...they often work better than the artificial drugs.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search