Dinners

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
Okay, now that I'm making dinners and learning how to cook in general I find that it takes a longer time making the food than actually sitting down and enjoying it.

Is that how it is for you ladies too?

If not, do you think it's b/c I really am learning how to cook--I mean I'm at a 1 right now--so I have to concentrate and re-read ingredients and look up how to measure, cut (I have no idea how to cut an onion and this one recipe called for one so I just smashed it in the blender but it turned into liquid).

After I spend all this time cooking, actually sitting down and eating lasts 20 minutes maybe. I feel like I spent all that time cooking and it wasn't enjoyed.

Is that just b/c we now have a baby? Do you ladies feed your children and then you and hubs eat seperatly? If so, what do you munch on while you wait to eat? Cheese and crackers?

Do you think once I get the hang of cooking, it will come easily and I won't feel so frusterated?

It's just crazy...everything that cooking entails...the time finding a recipe, the expense of the ingredients, the time cooking the meal, the tears that the diva sheds b/c I can't hold her while I mince garlic, the dryness of my hands as I clean up the kitchen...they look like grandma hands right now.

lol!

January 14th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We eat as a family almost every night. Since my parents live with us I'm lucky because my mom cooks a lot when they're home. They travel a lot as well though. On nights that I cook I usually spend more time preparing the meal and cooking it compared to actually eating it. Except when I do one of Rachael Ray's 30 minute meals, those are actually pretty fast. And I have some other standbys like tacos that are quick and easy as well.

Lily helps make dinner and Vi watches from her high chair most nights. I give Vi something to munch on to occupy her and Lily is happy to help cook, so that occupies her.

January 14th, 2011, 05:10 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sort of both, Kristen. Yes, it does often take more time to prepare the meal than to eat it but at the same time, yes, it will get faster as you get the hang of it.

For nights that we have something going on, like church, or a kid's game or event or for nights I'm just not in the mood, I try to throw something in the crockpot. That makes it so easy. For example, if you throw a roast and some carrots and potatoes in the crock pot then at dinner time you have pretty much a full meal. You could add a salad or something if you wanted. Usually I just leave it at that. Like Shelley said, Tacos are super easy. Just brown the meat, season and then lay out toppings.
For me, I make the things that take longer on days I have the most time, and try to do the easiest and quickest dinners when I know time will be short or when I am planning to take it easy....

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
January 14th, 2011, 05:45 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I definitely spend more time preparing meals than I do eating them. It's always been that way, not just because I have kids now. And Angela is right, with time it will get easier and faster.

Ideally, both girls will be downstairs with DH while I make dinner. Most often Kolbie is in her high chair with snacks and Kaija is "helping"
January 14th, 2011, 05:57 PM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with using the crockpot. It def makes things a lot easier. Sometimes I'll make breakfast and throw dinner in the crock at the same time so I'm not stuck in the kitchen all day.
I also try and plan all our meals for the week so I know what I'll need and it helps with shopping too, not overbuying things.
When we eat, I'll usually put Brynn in the highchair and feed her as I eat. No more sit down meals for me. Or give her a few puffs at a time to keep her occupied. Once you get the hang of it and know what you can do in advance, things will get easier and you'll find quicker recipies.

[IMG][/IMG]

January 14th, 2011, 07:51 PM
k8liz311's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ugh.. I hate cooking. I keep trying to like it, but i am just not a fan. I always feel rushed and never seem to enjoy it.

That being said, the crock pot is my best friend.
I also get tired of cooking the same things so I've been using allrecipes a lot. Look up crock pot recipes and also other regular ones. i love that people rate them.
You will feel more confident with time, but it's not always faster. I don't have to really read ingredient lists on the things i make often but it still takes time.

January 14th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It def takes me longer to prepare dinner than eat it (especially since I usually wolf my food down because that's about the time Rachel starts getting hungry too)...but I'm okay with that. I really enjoy cooking, even though I'm not the best at it. I agree with the other ladies though, the crockpot is your best friend! Just throw a bunch of stuff in there and let it hang out all day...there's nothing easier. But the more cooking you do, the less frustrating it will be and you will get faster. Rachels not eating at the same time as us (I'm gonna work on that next month though I think)...so usually while I cook she's either hanging with DH if he's home, or she's in her jumper in the kitchen.
January 15th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Learning to cook is definitely time consuming, kids or not. I had a severe passion and determination to learn everything I could about cooking when DH and I got married, and thankfully had the time for the first year before we had Aiden. If you really want to get good at it, it will come with time.

You might want to try taking one day and prepping/cooking up a whole bunch of food you can freeze for use later in the week. A few examples would be taco meat, soups or chili, egg casseroles(these freeze great-uncooked) stir fry, etc.... frozen individually or in two person servings these all thaw quickly, or can be popped in the oven straight from the freezer. Also a time saver, if you're cooking dinner one night, just make enough for two meals and freeze half. It generally takes the same amount of time to make two lasagnas as it does one.
I use my crock pot for soups and chili a lot, but have always had a hard time finding meals for it that are truly healthy, and it seems like they mostly revolve around meat.

And for your hands...do you like Burt's Bees stuff? I use their almond milk hand cream on my hands in the winter and they're as soft as Gavin's it's amazing stuff!

GL hunny....cooking brings me such joy and I hope you can stick with it and start to enjoy it

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search