Livi's 9 Month Appointment

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Shantastic27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Livi had her 9 month appointment today. Her weight is 16 lb, 5 oz (with all clothes on) and she is 27 inches long! She went from the 25th percentile to the 10th percentile in weight, and went up the growth chart a bit on the height end. Doc said she's pry busy growing up instead of out, so he's not worried about her going down the growth chart.

Let me just say, my doc is amazing. Seriously, he is so great. We told him about Livi's aversion to solid foods, and he said just to keep trying and that he wasn't super worried about it. They did a heel stick to check her hemoglobin, and he said that he figured it would come back a little on the low side because of the solid thing. So when he came back in, he said he was really surprised because it was super low. They look at the range in babies to be around 9, he said that 8 is the lowest they like to see. Livi's level is 6.7, so she's anemic. We had to go over to the hospital and have more blood drawn, and that was seriously terrible. They did a heel stick and her blood wasn't flowing so it literally took about 20 minutes for them to get the tubes full that they needed to do the full blood testing. The first lady totally sucked and finally I was like...look, can we try this somewhere different because she just kept squeezing her little feet but no blood would come out! So then when another lady tried, I put Livi on the boob and that helped to distract and comfort her.

So, we have to keep tryign to get her to take solids, and then we got iron supplements as well. We went to the pharmacy to have the prescription filled, but they didn't have it in, and apparently the Enfamil stuff they sell isn't strong enough, we would have to give her 2 droppers full twice per day in order to get the same dose so we're waiting til they get it on Monday. I'm not excited about doing this though, because that's going to cause constipation, which creates a whole new set of problems! We'll know more when the full testing comes back next week. The doc thinks it's probably just a nutritional deficit, but the test will reveal if there is any underlying cause. So I'm kind of nervous about this. It could be why she has been so cranky and fatigued lately, and the doc said it could be a reason why she's not crawling yet...she may not have the energy to really try too hard. And if it doesn't get better, it can definitely affect her growth.

I can't help but feel responsible for this. I've been so proud that Livi has been bf and here she isn't getting what she needs. My doctor assured me that it's not my fault, and "you're a good mom and you've done a great job breastfeeding" but I still feel so sad. My poor sweet baby. I definitely did not expect this. *Sigh*

January 14th, 2011, 06:20 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
It is NOT your fault! At all! But it's understandable that you'd feel sad about it. Lots of babies are anemic, I remember a few babies in Kaija's PR being really anemic, one still is and he LOVES him some food!

momma. Hopefully you see a big difference once you get her on the Iron supplements. She'll eat food soon, and you probably won't be able to stop her once she does!
January 14th, 2011, 06:47 PM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
oh shannon, PLEASE don't be so hard on yourself! its not your fault, and you were and ARE doing whats best for your baby!! Well checks are done EXACTLY for this type of thing, to check and make sure that baby is growing right.. And they caught the anemia, and now they can fix it.. I'm praying for her and you that theres no underlying condition causing it I sure hope it gets better really soon for her.. please don't blame yourself!! You're a GREAT mom! And livi is smart, and will rebound from this fast, I feel it!
January 14th, 2011, 07:06 PM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh, Shannon! This is NOT your fault, and you ARE an amazing mama! I hope that the supplements don't affect Livi too much, and that her levels come up quickly!

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
January 14th, 2011, 07:14 PM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Definitely not your fault! You are such a great momma and you love Livi with every ounce of your being. Of course it is normal for a mom to blame herself-it's what we do-but please believe us all when we tell you it's notnyour fault. Livi is a strong little one, she will be eating solids soon and im sure the iron supplements will help immensely. Hugs girl!

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

January 14th, 2011, 07:36 PM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
oh!

Ditto to everyone else. You are a FANTASTIC mother and this is NOT your fault. I too am hoping there isn't an underlying cause for the iron deficiency. I won't tell you not to worry, cause that is what moms do, but try to not blame yourself. You are doing everything Livi needs.
Caroline - November '12

January 14th, 2011, 07:55 PM
k8liz311's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My first son was very anemic. we had to do blood draws often and the supplements. I totally feel you. I was NOT expecting it when they told me. He ended up being on the supplements until age two. he's been great ever since.

He was always a great eater too so I don't think food has much to do with it. i felt like it was something I could've done, but honestly, looking back I don't think I could have. he ate iron rich foods etc. Sometimes BF babies are just anemic.
Oh and he was constipated a lot before the iron and although I noticed it stick around, I don't think it got much worse. I kept him with some watered down prune juice at times if it got bad and it helped.
feel free to PM me if you ever have any questions.. I've been there. She'll be fine!

January 14th, 2011, 08:12 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am in fear of the same thing when I take Mia on Monday (we had to reschedule to Monday)...

I think you are a fantastic mom! Some babies don't like solids and there isn't much you can do to push them. Breastfeeding SHOULD be her main source of nutrition throughout the first year. Low iron in breastfed babies isn't uncommon at all. Hopefully the suplements will help. Good luck!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
January 14th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Totally not your fault at all! Anemia is super common in babies and a fairly high percentage are anemic. Hopefully the iron supplements help!

January 14th, 2011, 09:16 PM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
totally not your fault!!!

My dr told me that Karsyn needs to take Vitamin K for iron since she isn't getting enough in the breastmilk. I asked if this was something new because I was never told (I went to a diff Dr with Kinley) this info when I bf Kinley for a year. He said no, breastfed babies need an iron supplement because they aren't getting the amount they should be getting in the breastmilk. I've tried giving Karsyn the Vitamin K....but she hated it lol and I don't blame her because it smells awful!

January 15th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The other ladies have said it all, just wanted to give you *hugs* Livi will be just fine and you know in your heart that you are an amazing mom! Don't worry

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

January 15th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
((HUGS)) Hun. It's definitely not your fault. My dd was anemic also. She was just always small and petite and never ate much. It was just a nutritional thing for her.

I will say though giving her the iron supplement was HORRIBLE. It smelled and tasted so bad and she would fight me so hard over it. I hope yours tastes better.

January 15th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ditto the other ladies, just wanted to send some hugs your way! Keep us updated!

January 15th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
Sending more HUGS!!!! hang in there!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
January 15th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Thanks guys! I'm feeling better about things today. We have given her rice cereal SUPER thinned out with breastmilk twice today, and she actually ate it! I'm so grateful for that. Hopefully we can work her up to thicker things eventually. We're just going to keep trying the foods and hopefully they will grow on her!

We'll be starting the supplements on Monday, probably because that's when the pharmacy will have them. Any pointers for this? The doctor said I could put them in her bottles, but I REALLY don't want to put it in her bottle of breastmilk because if she refuses to eat it because of the taste I don't want to waste all that milk. We bought some liquid baby yogurt stuff and was thinking of putting it in an ounce of that in her bottle or something. Any other ideas are appreciated!!

January 15th, 2011, 05:38 PM
k8liz311's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used to just give my son the straight dropper full. He didn't like it, but he took it. We used to just have to give it really fast before he could see it. Got tougher the older he got.. but he did it. I would do two smaller dropper fulls rather than 1 big one so he didn't choke. and point it toward the back of the mouth, toward the cheek so they don't taste it as much.

You can try a small bottle or any small amount of food if she'll take it. it might not taste the best so she might not want it.

Good luck!!
oh and it used to stain my LOs teeth a bit. Not bad, just a little bit and it wasn't permanent. Not sure if his was just a special case.. but don't be alarmed if you see it. I freaked out!

January 15th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
(((HUGS!!!!!!!!))))

Your story made me so sad--I want to kiss Livi and love her and kiss her feet where that nasty witch stuck her.

Can you crush the supplement up, make it powdery and (not kidding) glob some on your nipple before she nurses? That way if she pulls away and doesn't latch on you know that she can smell or taste the supplement and putting it in a bottle and wasting BM may not be the best thing to do?

Or, will she eat baby yogurt at all? Even a little bit with the crushed supplement mixed in?

What if you crush the supplement up and sprinkle it over a popsicle (all-natural, sugar free) and let her lick it off?

January 15th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8liz311 View Post
I used to just give my son the straight dropper full. He didn't like it, but he took it. We used to just have to give it really fast before he could see it. Got tougher the older he got.. but he did it. I would do two smaller dropper fulls rather than 1 big one so he didn't choke. and point it toward the back of the mouth, toward the cheek so they don't taste it as much.

You can try a small bottle or any small amount of food if she'll take it. it might not taste the best so she might not want it.

Good luck!!
oh and it used to stain my LOs teeth a bit. Not bad, just a little bit and it wasn't permanent. Not sure if his was just a special case.. but don't be alarmed if you see it. I freaked out!
I may have to just do that...at least then I know she's getting it. And thanks for the heads up about the teeth staining...I totally would have freaked!

Kristin--I totally smooched on her poor little feet!! The supplement is like a syrup, I guess. I'm guessing kind of the consistency of baby tylenol? The pharmacist said that it has a metallicy taste to it, and that it's pretty strong. So I was hoping to find something to put it in that's even stronger that may cover it up. Blah. I don't like this.

January 15th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Super Mommy
when i was little i would mix all of my nasty medicine with a spoonful of applebutter. it would cover the taste of anything.

Thank you so much Meganpixel for my beautiful sigie!

January 15th, 2011, 07:42 PM
lauriebeth's Avatar mommy to Riley Grace
I'm so sorry you're going through this. Poor little Livi! I'll be the anemia is why she's been tired... My mom is SEVERELY anemic and when her iron is really low, she gets fatigued walking up stairs and she's in great shape! I can only imagine what low iron would do in a baby... poor little thing! Prayers that her iron gets up quickly and it will be easier giving her the drops than you anticipate! KUP!

Thank you Meganpixel for my adorable siggy!

For crocheted hats and hair accessories visit *Daisy Cottage Designs* on Etsy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search