BFing Mamas

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm trying so hard to watch my calories but I don't want to affect my milk supply. Jordan has been going through some sort of growth spurt and eating costantly so I'm eating a little more. I've been trying to stay around 1500-1800 a day to lose weight. Does that sound right?
January 17th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Weight watchers gives a nursing mother 10 additional points on their weight loss plan. I think 1500 to 1800 cal is low. When we were pregnant i know i looked up how many calories we were supposed to consume and came across a great site that took pregnancy and nursing into consideration.

Healthy Body Calculator® - Ask the Dietitian®

January 17th, 2011, 02:50 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I think that site has a glitch I put in all my info and it told me, even while bf for less than 6 months, to eat 1200 calories to lose 2# per week! That's insane and will NEVER happen. Sorry. I love food too much. I even put in active activity level and weight, height and all...

Anyway... Julie, I think you may be OK if you are closer to mid/high range on that caloric intake... you also have to consider activity level and your weight and all. I'm averaging about 1850 cals/day (some a bit more/less) AFTER considering workouts too (so, say I worked off 300 calories, I may actually have eaten 2100 kcals that day to avg 1800 kcals total). My supply hasn't dropped at all, if that helps any.

When I worked at Jenny Craig, for smaller gals (i.e. 5'5" maybe, and wanting to only lose about 15-25 pounds or something like that in a reasonable time), I believe (it's been a while, a long while, so don't quote this) we had a program that had them at 1800 calories intake, I can't remember correctly, but I think it so.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
January 17th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Huh Gwynn mine was 2210 calories losing 1lb a week. I am only 5'4".

January 17th, 2011, 07:18 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
that's why I think it was a glitch in their system. There's no way anyone would tell me to eat 1200 calories, bf or not I double checked everything, but oh well...

I go by LoseIt, but as I mentioned, they don't consider BF... and I'm at almost 19oo calories per day. My supply is great, but it's always been pretty strong.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
January 17th, 2011, 07:59 PM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
Julie, how tall are you?

For me, like Gwynne, I go by LoseIt. It tells me (5'3" 122) to eat 1200 to lose a pound a week. That being said, I usually don't net that many calories in a day when I work out.
I notice a very slight dip in my supply, but it only when I don't get my 72 ounces of water. Again, like Gwynne, I've had a pretty strong supply.

January 17th, 2011, 08:07 PM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
Just for kicks and giggles I did the website calculations and it said 1700 for me. So I guess you can take the 1200 and add 500 for breast feeding. But, I know I don't lose weight eating 1700 calories a day. I can maintain, but not lose with that. But every body is different.

January 18th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My milk supply seems to be the same so I guess 1500 is ok for that. But I got on the scale this morning and gained a pound. I'm 5'4 and need to lose about 20 lbs so maybe I'm not eating enough calories or am I eating too many...IDK

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search