Mia's 9 month appointment...crappy

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2011, 05:55 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

As most of you remember, I have been concerned about Mia's weight gain and about my declining supply. I took Mia for her 9 month appt today and sure enough, she only weighed 15 pounds, 3 ounces. She weighed 14 even back in September so she hasn't gained much. The ped showed me her growth curve which looks like a big plummet. She's in the 2nd percentile for weight and the 11th percenitle for height. They said I needed to supplement with formula and I told them that I'd tried but she wouldn't take it. the ped thens suggested we try with one of the disposable bottles you get in the hospital to feed newborns. I guess b/c those nipples are super easy for a nine month old? I had been nursing her all throughout the appt. She'd nursed really well too but was still doing her bit where she wants more but I don't have anymore for her. We gave her that little newborn bottle in the office and she GUZZLED it in a couple minutes flat and then cried for more. I gave her a second one and she downed that one too. That's FOUR ounces of formula, after I'd been nursing her off and on for an hour or so....obviously, I'm not making what I should be. I feel so disapointed with my body and myself as a mom. I have never been someone who thinks formula is bad, in fact I've used it for most of my babies when bf didn't work out, but I really, really, REALLY like to nurse when at all possible.
The ped suggested that I drink water each hour, stop trying to loose weight and increase my calories, try to nurse every three hours around the clock and call my midwife and see if I can get a prescription for reglin. She also suggested Fenugrek but when I got to the drug store to buy some, the pharmacist, who just had a baby herself said there is new studies out that say Fenugreek has been associated with bad effects for the baby later in life. So I am holding off till I can look into it myself. I have an appt for Wednesday to see Tammy, my midwife so that I can see about getting the RX for Reglin.
Also, she's a bit behind on some of her milestones, which I don't worry too much about. Most of our babies are late bloomers at baby milestones and they turn out fine in the end.
To top off the appt, the pediatrician is concerned about the bone structure in her head and wants to get an X ray series of her skull. She says that she's a bit concerned with the sutures of her head closing prematurely which can affect growth. Seriously? I felt like such a loser after that appointment.

In the meantime while waiting for my milk supply to boost, I'm supposed to supplement with formula using those newborn bottles she will take. I cant' even describe how I felt while she was guzzling down the formula. I felt thrilled that she was getting what she needed and was being satisfied, but horrified that my body wasn't doing its job and sad that what I provide wasn't enough. I know its probably lame and maybe even silly but I always take a big sense of pride in watching my breastfed babies grow, knowing that I provided them what they needed. And now Similac is providing it.

Sorry for the long rant. Thanks for reading ladies. I know in the scope of life, this is a minor issue, I'm just feeling so down about it right now.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
January 17th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
I'm sorry that you are having to go through this right now. I hope that you can get your supply up soon, and that you wont have to use formula for long. It does feel like a smack in the face when your body isn't doing what you want it to. *Hugs*

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

January 17th, 2011, 06:38 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Hugs hun. I would definitely get in contact with an IBCLC, she'll be able to help you with your supply. Until then, don't feel upset about what you are having to do - you need to do what is best for you and Mia.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
January 17th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Shantastic27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Angela, I'm so sorry about the crappy appointment! I totally understand the sense of pride you take in being Mia's source of nutrition---I feel the exact same way. I have always felt very proud of the fact that Livi has gotten all of her nutrition from me. I don't think that's lame or silly at all! We work hard at nursing, and we should feel pride in it.

I REALLY hope you're able to get your supply back up. In the meantime, you're doing what is best for Mia, and that's all you can do. It doesn't take away from what you have already given her, and what you will continue to give to her. Feel proud of what you have accomplished so far.

KUP on supply issues, as well as the x-ray of Mia's skull. Big hugs being sent your way!

January 17th, 2011, 07:11 PM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
so sorry hun! I can understand your feelings of dissapointment, I pray that you can increase your supply and she starts to thrive with the supplemental formula..

KUP on the xray as well..

DOn't be too hard on yourself! *hugs*
January 17th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So sorry you are dealing with this! Like others said you have to do what is best for you and for Mia. I hope you are able to boost your supply with everything. I haven't heard any new things about Fenugreek, but I'll keep my eye out for any news articles on it causing issues for you.

KUP on the x-ray for her head as well!

January 17th, 2011, 07:58 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Huge HUGS!! I'm sorry the appointment didn't go well. Don't feel badly for having to do what is best for both of you. Hopefully your supply bounces back easily and you won't have to supplement for long. Either way, 9 months is impressive!

Please KUP on everything
January 17th, 2011, 08:32 PM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
So sorry for the yicky appointment. I'm thinking of you and sending massive
Caroline - November '12

January 17th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
::hugs:: that major stinks!! I hope that you can get your supply up. Have you gone to the BF board and made the cookies they have on there? There are some recipes out there that are supposed to help increase your supply. You are doing as much as you can, and I know that probably feels disappointing, but Like others have said, 9 months is still really good. My oldest DS stopped at 9 months and I was so sad, but 3/4 of a year is still great.

January 17th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Tiny Loves
I haven't heard anything about the Fenugreek either. I take 6 610mg capsules a day, also do try some oatmeal. I've got a recipe for pumpkin muffins that are cookied with oats instead of flour and omg..they are to die for I'm not able to take Reglan at all so I just drink a lot and eat a lot and take my fenugreek. Are you having/letting Bree nurse while you supplement Mia? That might super kick start reproduction.

January 18th, 2011, 04:29 AM
LisaBrown's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just want to give you the biggest I've been through many of the same feelings. I hope your supply builds itself back up quickly. KUP on Mia's progress, I'm sure she'll probably catch right up in no time!

January 18th, 2011, 08:15 AM
J-V221's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
HUGS!! Ditto to the same as the ladies above! Please KUP on how the xray goes!
January 18th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
Big hugs Angela. I totally feel for you. I went through a similar issue with Jamie. Unfortunately I was not able to get my supply back up to meet his needs, plus his appetite grew and grew. I was really, really sad when I finally stopped nursing a month or so ago. And like you, I was sad that my body was not cooperating the way I wanted it to. It was a relief to see his hunger met when I gave him a bottle though and to see how satisfied his tummy was. I tried to concentrate on that - that keeping him satisfied and content and nourished was my primary job as a mommy, regardless of whether it was through breastmilk or formula. I hope that some of the suggestions you've been given will help. If not, give yourself a big pat on the back for reaching the 9-month milestone. That is a fantastic accomplishment. (And yes, I know right now that is a tough consolation!)

January 18th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
((HUGS)) Sorry it didn't go well but hopefully your midwife can get your supply back up.

January 18th, 2011, 03:31 PM
niema's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to niema
Oh, Angela ((HUGS)) I truely understand your feelings. Please dont be too hard on yourself. I hope that Mia starts gaining and your supply starts to increase soon. Im praying that everything turns out fine when she has her next appt. Please keep up updated.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search