c25k

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2011, 09:24 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd really like to be a runner... I always see running statuses from people on my FB and I'm just SO not a runner... I'm a couch potato.

Well a couple years ago I did this 100 push-ups program where you follow a schedule and it gradually works you up to being able to do 100 consecutive push-ups, which I did and it was easy and awesome.

There's another program similar to it called couch to 5k ... and in 9 ways you gradually work your way up to being able to run a a 5k, or for 30 minutes non-stop.

Its kind of embarrassing... like week one you run for 30 seconds then walk for 60 seconds, then 30, or whatever... and so you look like an idiot on a treadmill constantly messing with the speed. But I'm going to do it and my mom is going to do it with me. Its sad, she's 62 but probably in better shape than me!

So when DH gets off work he'll keep Bug and I'll meet my mom at the gym... starting today! Wish me luck!

January 18th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Bekki
OOH OOH OOH!! I started this too!
I've done day one. Do you know about the podcasts? This guy made podcasts and it makes it super easy to do. You don't have to keep track of anything.
I will do day two tonight, only I don't do it on a treadmill, I do it at a track.
I know a girl who did it, she has become a marathone runner and lost over 100 lbs. she is my inspiration.
I had done it before I got pg with with Nannie, but I hurt my knee in week two and stopped.
January 18th, 2011, 12:42 PM
oooh Bekki that rocks! and its awesome we're doing it at about the same time also! I don't know about the podcasts... what's that about?

January 18th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Nicole1110's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOL I started it last week but I put it off cause I caught a horrible cold my first night out. It kicked my arse the first time. Honestly, I couldn't even run the straight 60 seconds a few of the times. I think it'll get easier as it starts to warm up cause running in the cold dry air is really hard. But ya, total wake up call about how out of shape I am. I am probably going to have to repeat most of the weeks cause I don't think you're supposed to move on to the next week until you did the program each day, exactly as you are supposed to. There are C25K apps for your phone too that alert you when to run/walk.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Major
January 18th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Bekki
the podcasts are great... I don't have the link, but google it. The guy tells you exactly when to run and when to walk. It is way easier than having to think about when to walk and when to run. I'm sure you will quickly pass me, it will take me longer to move on because I am sooo out of shape.
January 18th, 2011, 02:24 PM
OK I just got back from the gym and I feel like I'm going to die. My mom has me totally paranoid.

in 2008 my mom had a massive massive heart attack out of the blue. She's on the lower side of a normal weight, doesn't smoke, was going to the gym, etc. etc. etc. and she had a huge heart attack. now she's always paranoid about other people's hearts and stuff. whenever we go to the gym together she was (its been a long time since I've gone ) always wanting to know my heart rate. Hers was almost always lower than mine - but in my defense, she's 62 and hers is supposed to be lower than mine for her age range (according to the little things on the treadmill that say age range & target heart rate) and she's also on medication now that keeps it down.

anyway, w hen I developed pre-e and my BP was like 200/110 etc she was so scared and said we probably shouldn't have more kids and risk it. pfft. but that was definitely high for anybody, and way high for me b/c like in the second trimester I was passing out and my BP was at one reading 73/39 etc.

ANYWAY, the whole time we're at the gym my heart rate was 199+ ... like it was so high the machine didin't read it that high. my mom was all like 'is your chest tight? are you ok?" and i was like 'yeah I feel how I always do' ... b/c when I exercise my chest is always feeling a little bit tight. :shrug:

So I know the answer to this is to be in better shape, and I have to keep going in order to do that... but my mom is freaking me out that I'm abotu to drop dead on the treadmill or something.

So yeah, I am WAYYYYY out of shape. I mean I knew it, but that was just pathetic. Will yall hold me accountable and ask me if I've been going and how I'm doing etc? I think my mom will be pretty good about nagging me about it... but I just really don't want to go. She asked if I wanna go tomorrow and I'm already thinking 'well I should get a day off, I JUST went' lol. I jus twant to be able to run a lot and look cute doing it and not feel the fat on my face jigging.

January 18th, 2011, 03:19 PM
RobinJS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I totally want to try this. I'm going to start today. I used to run all the time. About 25k per week and sort of lost my momentum once I moved in with DH. Anyway, Shannon, are you sure the machine was reading correctly? Sometimes when you're hands are too sweaty it doesn't read right. Over 199 seems unlikely if you weren't feeling like passing out. I don't check my heart rate when I jog, I just go by how I feel. If I can speak but just barely then I'm okay. If I can't talk anymore except when I inhale and exhale then I know I'm going overboard.

Eli Gunnar 1.11.10

January 18th, 2011, 08:01 PM
megpie
Eeeep! Now you have me freaking out. Is it bad that I've NEVER paid attention to my HB while workout out? Not once. I was running on the treadmill at 5:30am today---I can only run a MAX of 20 minutes before having to powerwalk and then pick it back up again running. I definitely have to work it up over time. I took a month off and I'm back at it but it's like starting all over.
January 19th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinJS View Post
Anyway, Shannon, are you sure the machine was reading correctly? Sometimes when you're hands are too sweaty it doesn't read right. Over 199 seems unlikely if you weren't feeling like passing out.
Well, my treadmill was giving me 199+ while running and it would slowly come down into the 180's, and I swapped treadmills with my mom (b/c her HR was good) and that treadmill told me the same thing. I know those things can be really unaccurate, but I suspect it was in the right ballpark since 2 machines gave me the same 199+ but my mom was normal. I definitely didn't feel good, slightly lightheaded... but you know, that's exercise - you're not supposed to feel good doing it, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by megpie View Post
Eeeep! Now you have me freaking out. Is it bad that I've NEVER paid attention to my HB while workout out? Not once. I was running on the treadmill at 5:30am today---I can only run a MAX of 20 minutes before having to powerwalk and then pick it back up again running. I definitely have to work it up over time. I took a month off and I'm back at it but it's like starting all over.

Its not bad that you can run a max of 20 minutes... on this c25k they start you out running for sixty seconds at a time LOL.

January 19th, 2011, 08:10 AM
megpie
I checked my HR for the first time ever this morning! I was on the ellptical machine and the highest I got was 166.

I read today that your maximum heart rate when working out is 220-your age.
January 19th, 2011, 09:19 AM
*Izzy's*Mommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm starting a similar thing, although the end goal for me is running the sun run here in Vancouver in April.

2011 Sun Run - Vancouver Sun

It's 10K, and I'm hoping to run the whole thing and not break down and walk lol. I used to be a pretty good runner years ago. 10k isn't long, but I'm out of shape. So I signed up to run with a group of people every Thursday night up until the sun run in April. I also have to commit to running twice between each class.

I start tomorrow night, wish me luck lol!

January 19th, 2011, 10:09 AM
RobinJS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used to do the Sun Run a long, long time ago. Before I moved in with DH and was forced to live in a home with Doritos and popcorn!

Eli Gunnar 1.11.10

January 19th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Lol! Exactly....nothing makes you gain more weight than a long term relationship!

January 29th, 2011, 09:12 AM
RachaelDMommaTo3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to RachaelDMommaTo3 Send a message via Yahoo to RachaelDMommaTo3
How are you C25K girls doing?? I just started today, I made it through the whole thing.. but it was pretty tough!

January 29th, 2011, 02:59 PM
I saw that on FB! Good for you.

I haven't gone back since the first day. I'm going to go back to the gym 3 times this week and just walk for at leasst a half an hour. I really just have to start somewhere, I guess.

January 30th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I've started training for my 10k run. I can't do it all yet, but I'll get there! I'm running 3 times a week.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search