Speech delays already?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2011, 07:19 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Camden is 8.5 months old and "talks" all the time but it's still more sounds like "Ahhhhhh" or "Mmmmmmm". He never says anything like mama or dada or baba. Shouldn't babies be saying more than that at this age? Like i said, he makes all kinds of weird sounds... just no real consonants. What does your baby's speech consist of right now?

January 18th, 2011, 07:25 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Sounds about right to me. Kolbie's babbling a lot more all of a sudden, but still nothing significant. Her Dr. did ask if she was making consonant sounds like mama, dada, baba, etc. But she's pretty much a month older than Camden and didn't really even start that until a week or 2 ago. I wouldn't worry. As long as he's making some sounds, that's what matters.
January 18th, 2011, 07:25 PM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
Has his hearing been tested?

Audrey's speech is the typical 9 month old speech.. baba, mama, dada, mmmm, ahhh, yayaya.. Stuff like that...
January 18th, 2011, 07:29 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think that on the ASQ we filled out for Mia at yesterdays appt, it said she was supposed to be saying those sounds both alone and in repitition but I am not very knowledgeable on speech issues..so I'm not much help...I don't pay that much attention to it. Out of my ten, only one has actually had a delay that warranted intervention services....I sort of just figure they'll talk eventually. With Isaiah, it became clear that he was behind at around two when he was still at the same level he was back at 18 mos....
I'd keep an eye on it and maybe discuss it with your ped. I think the bigger issue (or so I was told with Isaiah) is that progress is more important than how much the child actually says...like even if they don't talk much, are they making progress from what they were doing a few months ago. I don't know what they'd do for a baby at the 9 month stage...maybe just keep an eye on it? Maybe you could take like ten minutes a day and read some little books and keep repeating the same sounds over and over and encourage him to mimick them...thats what I've been doing with Mia lately. It's done a lot for her. She's making way more sounds than she was before that...

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
January 18th, 2011, 07:43 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think all babies are different and it varies a lot. Jack is saying mama, dada & baba.

January 18th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Baby Wrangler
Cam is still a few weeks younger than Ro so I wouldn't worry! His doctor can definitely tell you more but I had a friend who's son didn't talk much/well for a long time and they found out later that he needed tubes in his ears and he wasn't hearing correctly. After he got them, he started picking things up quickly. Maybe just ask if you're worried? Rowan is actually talking now so I'm no real help. She tells me when she wants me to pick her up by saying Up. When she sees Hello Kitty she screams Kitty, plus the mama, she says Daddy, good, yum, and a few others...but that's pretty normal for girls in my family. Every child is so different.
January 18th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I'm thinking/hoping he's just a little slower to pick up on it. I would be shocked if he had any hearing problems because he acts like he hears really well. He wakes up very easily from sounds, gets startled by them, reacts when i say his name and turns to me when i'm talking, listens well, etc. I can tell he's smart and understands some things i say, he just doesn't repeat them.

January 18th, 2011, 08:44 PM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We just had Chase's 9 month appt yesterday and his pedi asked if he was making sounds like mama dada gaga, baba, etc. I said yes, so I can't really say what she would've said had I told her he wasn't doing these things, but I honestly wouldn't worry. I don't think Camden is the only one not making as many consonant sounds, and I especially wouldn't worry because he IS making lots of sounds. He will get there!

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

January 18th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
Jamie just turned 9 months and is sounding the same as Camden. Lots of sounds but can't say that they specifically sound like mama or baba or anything like that. The most specific sound he makes is muh-muh-muh. I'm not too concerneds since he is making plenty of noise and clearly hears me.

January 18th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Violet says a few actual words and associates them with the correct meaning and she babbles the rest of the time, usually with consonant sounds. But every baby is different and a lot of babies take their time with speech and then just start talking all of a sudden.

January 18th, 2011, 10:40 PM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
My training is in speech pathology, and my DS receives speech services. He started at 15 months because he didn't have ANY words at that point. No mama, dada, ball, bath, etc. I think they even started him a little early because he was already getting OT and since I was a little concerned, they had him evaluated. He also wasn't pointing to communicate.

Since Cam is so young, I would try doing some sign language with him. Not necessarily tons, but enough so you can get him what he wants... Drink, food, more, sleep, ball, etc. Other than that, just ask your pedi. I'm sure he's fine. Some boys take a long time before they communicate.
Caroline - November '12

January 19th, 2011, 05:10 AM
AlexasMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AlexasMomma
Alexa will be 9 months on the first so she is about the same age and all she says is dada and hot (which no idea where she got either of these because her dad aint around and the other I haven't said to her lol) I am tryin to teach her momma but she stares at me while im saying it and moves her mouth some but hot comes out instead lol other then that she just babbles

Thanks ashypoo03 for my gorgeous siggy!!

January 19th, 2011, 06:36 AM
J-V221's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Addisyn will be 9mo on the 25th and she says yumm when shes eating. Also papa and mama. Otherwise it's just babbling and yelping. She just started to really pick up on this lately. I'm sure he's not far from it but encourage it.

example I do is "Mama is going to put your socks on, Mama is doing this, mama is handing you ...., Papa is....." Also I think she picked up the Yum from eating because we always praise her and say yummy yummy.
January 19th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
BTW, out of curiosity, I checked in my own baby memory book (my mom brought it to me when Jamie was born - so much fun to compare his milestones with mine when I was a baby) and it says that although I made noises I didn't start with mama and dada and other specific words until 11 months. But by 12 months I had a big vocabulary. So I'm just going to continue to make clear sounds for Jamie and repeat words like "mama" when I'm doing things or showing him things.

January 19th, 2011, 12:43 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Babies are so different. Lily was already saying a few words and a few basic signs for other things. Abri says hi and that's it other than the basic baby babble. My niece wouldn't say anything other than mama until 15 months.

I do my best to narrate every little thing we do so that she is hearing different words. I repeat the basic things like mama, daddy, doggy, etc. At some point it will sink in. I would be a little more concerned if he wasn't making any sounds at all
January 19th, 2011, 08:45 PM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Brynn doesn't say any words yet either, and she's about a month older. Her pedi said she should just babblle which she does. I think she might have said hi and da before, it's like she wants to say a word but mostly comes out as ahhh. I don't think it's a big concern right now. I think my book said at 12 mo. they should say 3 words, so we have a few months to see if that happens.

[IMG][/IMG]

January 20th, 2011, 05:58 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing_love
I'm thinking/hoping he's just a little slower to pick up on it. I would be shocked if he had any hearing problems because he acts like he hears really well. He wakes up very easily from sounds, gets startled by them, reacts when i say his name and turns to me when i'm talking, listens well, etc. I can tell he's smart and understands some things i say, he just doesn't repeat them.
This is Caleb exactly. I actually posted this same topic not too far back, because I'm worried like you. Caleb is also about 8.5 months, and he just goes "Aaaaaahhhhhhhhh" all day long (very loudly, LOL). I'm not worried, though, because like Camden, he has great hearing. My mom said that none of us made any small words until 11-12 months old. Every baby is different.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
January 20th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks ladies! I feel much more relieved now!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search