Oh no what have I done?!?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
I mentioned to my dh last night that we never had a honeymoon, and I really need a vacation. I told him exactly what I wanted, and he said ok lets do it. Great Right? I'm freaking out. He wants to go for 7 nights. I said 5 would be better. I have never been away from my kids for more than a night, and I have never been away from Alex for even a night. Now we are going to leave the country, and be gone for 5 days. He wants to use our tax check to pay for all of it, and he wants to go soon. Like May or June. I feel like we are being completely irresponsible. I am a very money smart person, and I know spending that money on a vacation is not a money smart move. We could do better things with it like pay off our van. That is the only debt we have, so the rest of it would just go into savings and retirement plan. He said that I am not going to talk him out of it, we are going to go, and that we will have fun even if it kills us. Lol. He already asked my parents to watch the kids, and they are all for it. They just told him to tell them when, and they would do it. I know I should be super excited that we are going to go on the romantic vacation, but I am just thinking about how irresponsible it is. Do you think it is irresponsible? I know that this vacation is much needed, and would be a blast. We have never taken a vacation alone. Since he has been in the Navy pretty much every time he gets leave we go visit family. I talk myself into this vacation, and then two seconds later I am talking myself out of it again. Ahhhh. I don't know what to do.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

January 19th, 2011, 12:28 PM
LisaBrown's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I say go for it! If it's just in May or June, then you have plenty of time to have ''practice nights'' away from the kids to see how it goes. I was soooo nervous the first night we were away from Melodie,but she did awesome, and I soon realized she does better than I do when she sleeps over somewhere, so I'm the one I needs the practice! If 5 nights is too much, maybe compromise on 3-4 and put the rest on your van payment? You can find AWESOME cruises all inclusive for 3 or 4 nights for great prices, maybe you'd have enough left over to pay off your van, or a good part of it...

January 19th, 2011, 12:50 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I don't think it's irresponsible. If your car is your only debt and you weren't needing that refund to go towards paying something, then I don't see the harm in using that for a sweet vacation. You guys clearly deserve it. I know it will be hard to leave the kids, but it will be fun
January 19th, 2011, 04:20 PM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
I totally don't think its irresponsible, if you never take a vacation, chances are, you NEED one..

IF, perhaps you can afford it, you could take the kids and make it a family vacation, but honestly, if you and DH need the alone time, the re-grouping time to have some romance in your marriage, GO FOR IT! 5-7 days goes by quick.. The longest I've been away from DS was 7 days, and it was hard, but he was almost 4... I've never been away from Audrey for even a night, but if I had the money to take a vacation, especially out of the country, i'd do it. It would be so good for our marriage.

Don't feel guilty, or irresponsible.. enjoy it!
January 19th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
You need to take this vacay hun. This is what life is about--LIVING. If you guys can afford to pay off your van in time and deal with that debt (which is awesome having that be your only debt) than you really should do this.

These moments in life are whats important--not a van. You don't want to look back someday and regret anything.

Take the vacation--life is so short...a van will always be there to be paid off--but you may not have this oppertunity (sp?) next year when you file your taxes again.

January 19th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Shantastic27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the other ladies! Take the vacay...it's not irresponsible! I would probably compromise with going a few less days because I can't foresee being away from the baby for so long, but that's just me . Have fun with it!!

January 19th, 2011, 06:53 PM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
Definitely not irresponsible. And I think you DH is to be commended for not being talked out of it. We are like you and only have a car payment and mortgage as our debts, and we're totally taking a vacation with our tax return. Especially since you say you're money wise, I think splurging on you and your DH is a perfectly responsible thing to do. It isn't as though your family won't have food if you go or something. That would be irresponsible.
Caroline - November '12

January 21st, 2011, 08:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
Well we are going on the vacation. I told my dh that we need to sign a contract with ourselves saying that we have to stick to our budget 100% for the whole year, or we have to wait another 6 years before we can go on a vacation alone again. That made me feel better. My dh was also really happy with that because if we stick to our budget we can easily put away $500 a month, and it will be a lot more once we get our van paid off. He tends to talk me into spending part of our money that we are supposed to be saving on things that we don't really need, but could come in handy. Like this last paycheck he talked me into letting him buy a pressure washer from a buddy of his. It was a good price for what we got, but we didn't really need it. We will be going before September because I have decided that I am going back to school in the fall. Also we wont really be able to practice leaving the kids because my parents live 14 hours away, and there isn't anyone here that I trust to keep the kids for a night. I also made him promise me that we would get our family pictures done before we go because we haven't done that in a few years either. YAY vacation here I come!!!!!

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search