Adding butter to help baby gain weight

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2011, 02:32 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I recently spoke to a dietitian who told me it's okay to add butter to Camden's diet to help him gain weight. This surprised me because i don't like adding extra butter to my own diet, let alone a baby of his size. She said it's perfectly fine to add it to any of his food at this age and it adds extra calories for him. Has anyone heard anything about this? Is it okay to do?

January 20th, 2011, 02:44 PM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmm never heard of that!!

Luckily we have little chunks and haven't had to worry about it.. seems a little extreme to me though! lol

January 20th, 2011, 02:46 PM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
I have heard of it before. My Aunts daughter is sooo tiny and they were telling her to do this. But she didn't feel comfortable with it either.

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

January 20th, 2011, 03:14 PM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
My mom keeps telling me to do this for Lauren. But, I'm not comfortable with it either. I might have to do something though, she's lost 9 oz since she got sick and is well under 14 pounds again. Doctors are more concerned with her getting better than worrying about her weight...for now.

I think Cam is just a little guy. You and your DH aren't huge, so I wouldn't do it unless he stops growing all together.
Caroline - November '12

January 20th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It's a tough one! My dh has a kidney disease and when first diagnosed he lost a lot of weight due to reducing his protein intake.

We saw a dietician who helped sort it all out and to help him put on weight again she wanted him to drink a lot of softdrink, put extra sugar in his tea...things you would normally NOT recommend!! She said to use more oil when cooking, but when it came to butter...well I thought I should be using lots of butter too but she said no, not butter (because of it's effects on choleterol etc I guess), but to use more margarine on his bread or in cooking.

The margarine would be a healthier option but would still help put on weight. Perhaps even if it is butter, if it's a short term fix then it is okay? .... dh gained his weight back so now I have stopped putting on extra margarine, he's reduced his intake of softdrink etc... so I guess if it's used only while it's needed...?

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
January 20th, 2011, 04:24 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Studies have shown that margarine is not healthier.

They told me to do this with Anastasia. She was 15 lbs on her first birthday. I refused. The way I saw it, she was small. She was healthy though. Feeding her butter just to make her gain weight would have worked but she would have put on bad weight - unhealthy weight.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
January 20th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know when anorexics are putting weight back on dieticians recommend calorically dense foods. So they don't fill you up too much but pack a punch with calories - like adding heavy cream to a milkshake or extra butter on bread.

Not sure with babies - but maybe ask your pedi?

January 20th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
popping in from march pr - good fats are GREAT for babies and needed for brain developement. butter, olive oil and whole milk yogurts/cheeses are REALLY important. Its not like it is with adults. you should never give a baby margarine or low fat anything, full fat is the best! I have a very tiny baby (15lbs 13 oz at 11.5 months) and the nutritionist wants us to giver her lots of fats and calories. Here's a link that you may find interesting. DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and Foods For Baby Brain Development | LIVESTRONG.COM

*thank you meddleman (magda) for my siggy!*

January 20th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think good fats are important, but I definitely wouldn't be putting butter on many things. I think Camden is just small like you and he's perfectly healthy. There are many sources of good fats if you want something a little fattier for him (avocados are a great one!).

January 20th, 2011, 05:21 PM
sweatshirtgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
My friend's Dr told her to do that with her baby - I don't remember how old she was. They were very concerned about her weight...she's 8 now and turns out she is just a small kid. My dd is 8 months younger, about 20 lbs more and 6 inches taller! And my dd is skinny!!!

I'm not sure I'd feel right about giving too much butter. Whole milk etc, yes.

Visit my etsy store! http://www.etsy.com/shop/drurylanedesigns
January 20th, 2011, 07:00 PM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was told to do this with Logan, too, but I didn't. I want him to gain weight on healthy fat. I cook things in olive oil and give him egg yolk, avocado, etc.

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
January 20th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Baby Wrangler
I understand that some babies are just small, I think doctors only really get concerned (especially if the parents are thin!) when there's a chance the child could get sick and lose weight...do they ever go into that or do they just tell you to make smaller babies gain? It doesn't seem that easy to me. Cam is perfect no matter...I wouldn't know what to think if they tried to tell me that Ro needed to lose weight.
January 21st, 2011, 06:59 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not sure I would do that. I honestly think he's just small like you and that's fine. I don't really think you need to change anything for him.

January 21st, 2011, 09:20 AM
Thanks. I tried it a few times when i was first told to do it but wasn't really comfortable so i don't plan on continuing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingGummyBear View Post
I understand that some babies are just small, I think doctors only really get concerned (especially if the parents are thin!) when there's a chance the child could get sick and lose weight...do they ever go into that or do they just tell you to make smaller babies gain? It doesn't seem that easy to me. Cam is perfect no matter...I wouldn't know what to think if they tried to tell me that Ro needed to lose weight.
His doctor has never said she's concerned because of him getting sick or losing weight. He never lost weight (except as a newborn). She just said his weight is too low for his age and that's why he needed to gain. I think it's ridiculous and you're right, it would be exactly the same as them telling you that Ro needs to lose just because she weighs more than a lot of babies her age. Every baby is just different and it doesn't mean they're unhealthy. I'm just hoping his appointment today goes better.

January 21st, 2011, 09:26 AM
Baby Wrangler
I don't understand some doctors...I hope everything does go well for you today and I'll check back for an update!
January 21st, 2011, 09:41 AM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
I don't know much about adding butter - I suppose I can see the benefits in that its a pretty easy way to slip a few more calories in and some fat does have definite benefits in our diets (when I train my marathon runners I always have to remind them of this in terms of energy and nutrition) - but it would seem to me there are better things you could do if you wanted to increase his calorie uptake.

I also wanted to mention that my mom constantly tells me how I was only 16 and a half pounds at a year (and I checked my baby book, so she's not exaggerating). She asked the doctor over and over if she should be concerned, what should she do to fill me up, etc. and the doctor always asked "Is she healthy? Has she been sick this winter? Has she been losing weight? Does she have energy?" - the answers were always "yes, she's healthy, yes she's energetic, no she has not been losing weight, etc."and the doctor asked "so what are you worried about?"!?

So I would say a little butter is probably fine to add but is it necessary?

January 21st, 2011, 09:55 AM
Brannyt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm going to play devil's advocate here, and suggest that it's not a bad idea. True, all babies are different, and some are bigger and/or smaller than others. Cam seems to be a healthy lil peanut, but I would at least give it a shot for a little while and see how he does. I wouldn't be excessive about it, but adding it here and there would be worth a try IMO. If the dietician doesn't see an issue, and that is her chosen area of specialty, I would trust her judgement.

Did your pedi refer you to see her?

LOVE my siggy, thank you Meganpixel!!!!!!
January 23rd, 2011, 07:11 PM
No she is not the dietician my pedi recommended but she did refer us to one recently. We haven't seen them yet though. I've done a lot of research and have read that olive oil is a much better and healthier fat to add to his food so at this point i plan to do that.

January 23rd, 2011, 07:44 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
I just want to ditto using olive oil instead of butter! Olive oil has great fat in it that's healthy for brain growth.

And, btw, Cam is perfect! I commented in your appt thread, so I won't go into more here! LOL!

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search