BF Mamas

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2011, 02:38 PM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
are you giving your baby a sippy cup regularly??

Karsyn has a sippy cup sometimes with a little diluted juice/water in it, and sometimes we give it to her in a bottle. I told DH I wanted to start giving her a sippy cup more often and he was like uhh is that a good idea? He said well if she has a sippy cup, then she will be used to drinking from that and have a different latch while breastfeeding. I hadn't really thought about it that much, but once he said it I started watching her with the sippy. She can drink out of it, but she mostly likes to bite and pull on the spout! She doesn't do this with the bottle......and she's started doing this to my nipple lately too! I don't think I'm going to give her a sippy as much for the next 3 months.....I want her to keep nursing like normal and NOT bite me! lol I plan to stop nursing at a year (if she'll let me! lol) so then I'll give her a sippy more often.

Did that make sense? lol

January 20th, 2011, 04:26 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
We don't use a sippy cup at all. I'm the sole source of any liquids, and will remain that way until well after the first birthday.

I know some of my nursing friends did have latch issues when their child used a cup. It is a different kind of latch
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
January 20th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Violet drinks mainly from a regular cup if we give her any liquid (water or expressed breastmilk). She uses a sippy sometimes as well, but her nursing latch hasn't changed. She doesn't get a cup daily though.

January 20th, 2011, 05:29 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
I only give Caleb a sippy with a little water or diluted juice in it when he's eating, in case he needs a quick drink to wash the food down (since he's not eating purees, this often occurs). I've tried breastfeeding when he needs a quick drink, but letdown doesn't happen fast enough for a quick drink.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
January 20th, 2011, 06:33 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Kolbie get a sippy cup or straw cup at least once a day because she throws the fit of all fits when she sees Kaija has one and she doesn't. I haven't noticed any problems with her latch.
January 20th, 2011, 06:40 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mia hasn't figured out her sippy yet. FWIW, it seems like the latch from my breast to the bottle is different anyhow...she took a while to get the hang of her bottle since we just started supplementing. So far, I've only supplemented very little, so maybe that's why.

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
January 20th, 2011, 06:46 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Oh, I forgot to mention that I don't notice any change in his latch, but he doesn't get the sippy very often right now.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
January 20th, 2011, 06:49 PM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Logan mainly bites his straw sippy, the silly goose, so he just has a little water out of a shot glass when he is eating food. I have tried giving him breast milk for a drink, but he isn't interested in nursing right after eating food, because he usually just nursed.

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
January 21st, 2011, 02:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My second ds self weaned at 11.5mths 2 weeks after going back to daycare. I didn't realise until too late that his stupid Tommee Tippee sippy cup 'nipple' was so hard that he had to bite down on it to get the milk out.... therefore he continually bit me until I was bleeding and he weaned that way. I much later realised how hard it was to get milk out of the sippy cup, so in hindsight I realise he was doing the same thing to me when nursing (biting down every time)...so I put it as the major contributor to his weaning which made me mad!

Layla is having water from a water bottle - it is summer here and very hot so I offer her water as well as nurse more often... it's just a normal kid's water bottle though and I hold it and help control the flow of it so she doesn't get too much...so she doesn't really suck on it for long.

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
January 21st, 2011, 11:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Cohen does drink water from a sippy occasionally. Hasn't affected bf'ing at all for us.

January 21st, 2011, 08:54 PM
Mommy2SB's Avatar Member
I'm just BF and haven't tried a sippy cup at all yet. Don't want to confuse him as he already doesn't take the bottle so great. Only drinks one or two bottles all day when I am at work. So I think sippy cup will complicate things. Just going to hold off on that for the time being.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search