Question about foods..

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2011, 03:28 PM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
Have any of you started older foods yet, that dont come in a baby food jar? lol

I've contemplated giving audrey scrambled eggs.... I was thinking since she got her flu shot, if she was allergic to eggs, wouldn't she have had a reaction? She has also had a taste of macaroni salad, which is made from mayo, which of course is eggs, thats okay too?

I know i've seen some pics or read on FB of some of your LO's eating oranges and speghetti already.. How did they do with that?

I asked my mom, and she vetoed the tomatoe sauce and citrus because of the acidity of it...which is why i've been waiting as well, I didn't know how old was old enough..

what are you all doing? I'd love to start experimenting with more solid foods.. I've tried cooked peas, audrey doesn't like the texture I don't think lol.. She's eaten small pieces of cooked green bean pretty well..I've tried other things from my plate, she loves mashed potatoes, and macaroni and cheese. but I havn't really braved anything else really...

Besides that, she gets the normal baby treats..

oh, i dont know if it matters, but audrey has no teeth yet to really chomp on anything, but she does really well chewing with her gums.. If u stick your finger in her mouth, she clamps right down...hard lol.. not sure if it matters.. You would never know i've done this before.. it just feels like so LONG ago! I can't remember when or why I did things back then lol
January 21st, 2011, 03:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Michaels pedi says anything except honey and PB is okay (and PB is okay for him bec/ he's over 1, just not for younger babies). He eats everything we eat (except fast food or something like that)... spicy food included.

January 21st, 2011, 03:52 PM
J-V221's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Addisyn only has two bottom teeth and I've given her several 'older' foods. I also give her a jar of stage 3 food as she doesn't get full from our yet. Some I've done

Potatoes
grean beans
pasta
toast
pancakes
waffles
very soft peaches
sucked on pickles and okra
arrow root cookies (gerber)
crackers

She really doesn't have a problem eating any of these. I started her off with those gerber puffs that are hard and crunchy but melt almost immediately in the mouth. She did well from that and I just added on. I give her little pieces from our meal every night.
January 21st, 2011, 03:56 PM
Brannyt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Brynlee also has no teeht, but chews really well so she gets a lot of what we eat. She's had both spaghetti and oranges, and has not had any problem with either.

My advice is to use your gut! Give her whatever you feel comfortable with, but don't feel pressured to feed her anything because someone else said to.

If she hasn't had an allergic reaction to anything, and you have no known food allergies, she'll probably be a-okay!

LOVE my siggy, thank you Meganpixel!!!!!!
January 21st, 2011, 04:59 PM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Logan is completely toothless, and has been having soft chunks of food since he was 6 months old (we are doing Baby Led Solids). The only food that we are avoiding until he is 1 is honey.

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
January 21st, 2011, 06:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Vi has 2 bottom teeth and we've been doing Baby Led Solids so she's been having real food since she was 6 months. The only thing I won't give until she's over a year is honey and straight milk.

January 21st, 2011, 06:56 PM
fibigrey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fibigrey
hey thanks everyone! I guess we'll be more adventerous for now on, i am absolutely positive that audrey won't mind
January 21st, 2011, 08:56 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jack eats whatever we eat, unless it is not easily chewed with his gums. But anything with rice or pasta (we always use brown rice pasta and brown rice) or soups etc he eats right along with us. I blend some of the things to make it easier for him.

January 21st, 2011, 09:50 PM
Mommy2SB's Avatar Member
Bryce has 2 bottom teeth and the top one is coming through. I'm still doing stage 2 baby foods. I go in for his 9 mos appt next week so wiill see what the doc reccomends. I don't think I started my oldest son until about 9/10 months too so will do the same this time around. He's so chunky from Breastmilk he doesn't need anything else at this time and is so content. lol
January 21st, 2011, 10:03 PM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
Jamie is eating more and more "real" stuff every day. Today he ate some of my chicken korma - I broke off tiny bits - and tonight he ate some of my chinese chicken and broccoli. He also loves salmon, turkey, cheese, chunks of banana, pretzel rods, pickles (actually eating chunks, not just sucking), baby food with pasta stars, pancakes, french toast, etc. Also Gerber sells cubed apple in a jar (its not that I'm lazy - I give him real apple too but the jarred stuff is softer - maybe its stewed - so I feel safe letting him put chunks in his mouth). I was really nervous at first but he is demanding more and more off my plate and starting to recognize the difference between my food and his. Just go with what you're comfortable with.

Also a couple of things to keep in mind - 1) they may totally reject something and then a week later or two weeks later chomp it right down 2) babies have incredibly strong gums even without teeth and 3) I've discovered that sometimes Jamie coughs or screws up his face and its not that he is "choking", its how he moves food to a different location in his mouth since he doesn't have many teeth yet. You will definitely start to feel more comfortable over time. I was so scared when I first started giving Jamie "real" food but he is getting better and better at eating it.

As for "acidic" foods - I did notice that Jamie didn't react as well to peaches, tomato sauce, etc. No rash or anything - he just got kind of agitated and rubbed at his face a bunch. But now that I've waited a few weeks he seems to be doing better with peaches, strawberries, etc. although I try to mix them with cereal or yogurt to cut the acidity a little.

January 22nd, 2011, 06:14 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jamie - they sell that cubed fruit in the canned fruit section too! I get that because it is cheaper than the "baby" brand. Just get the "no sugar added" stuff. I've found little single serve cubed carrots and peas in the canned veggie aisle too! I'm all for saving money and it seems they charge you more if they call it "baby food." I get the single serve "no salt added." Jed loves the cut up carrots and peas!

And he eats everything! Anything I eat - he will eat. he loves brocolli, bread, eggs, chicken, turkey, potatoes...even baked beans and ground beef!

January 22nd, 2011, 01:05 PM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Karsyn eats everything we do besides milk (we don't eat honey), lettuce and peanut butter. She's got 4 teeth...but she's really good about chewing things. My dr said at her 6 month appt she can eat anything that your granny with no teeth can eat lol So I'll give her pinches of pretty much everything that we eat.

January 22nd, 2011, 04:28 PM
Mommyof3Hoppers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommyof3Hoppers
Ben has had quite the assortment of food already! He eats table food like a champ and only has 3 teeth in completely. Here are some things we have done:
Spaghetti
Mac n Cheese
Cantaloupe
Oranges
baked apples
cottage cheese
green beans
peas
broccoli (steamed) - LOVES broccoli!!!
cauliflower (steamed)
corn (on and off the cob) - great teether on the cob
gerber wagon wheels, puffs, yogurt drops
eggs
yogurt
cheerios
Like I said, he has tried a lot already! Everything listed above was a success! Obviously (by the size of my chunkers thighs) he LOVES to eat!

Look me up on Facebook - Meighan Hopper Bloomington, Illinois

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search