Which scale to use?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 22nd, 2011, 10:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a scale with the dial and needle that moves in a circle after you step on and stops at your weight (it is about 2yrs old), and then last night I bought a digital scale. Well, the digital scale said I weighed 155.6lbs this morning, but the old style dial and needle scale was pointing at 153lbs. So which kind is supposed to be more accurate? I soooooo want someone to tell me the dial and needle kind hahaha, but DH says probably the brand new digi one is more accurate....

Josh and Kim - proud parents to Byron, Elijah, Abigail, Connor, Kara, and Baby
January 24th, 2011, 08:56 AM
SpydrMnky27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would go with the digital. I can never get an accurate reading on my scale with the needle thingy. It's always telling me I'm lighter than I am. DH has 2 digital scales at his gym and they both tell me the same number when I use them. I trust those more.
January 24th, 2011, 09:02 AM
who_it_is's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am going to say it depends on the scale. A digital is generally more accurate, but it needs to be calibrated once in awhile. A needle scale isn't as accurate over time as the springs can become loosened. So they both have plusses and minuses. I say, which ever scale you do choose to weigh on, always use the same one. At least then your result will be consistent for that scale.

This used to be a huge issue for my JC clients. They would weigh one thing on their scale at home and weigh something different (often by up to 5 pounds) on the JC scale. I would just tell them to pick one scale and have that be their official "weight". And so long as that was the scale they tracked on, they would see their loss (or gain) in as accurate a manner as possible.

I weigh on the wii Fit. Totally not accurate at all, but that's what I started with, so that's what I am sticking to.

To the Amazing Kelly: Thank you once again!! Amazing only begins to cover it.
January 24th, 2011, 09:14 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a digital scale and I also have a needle scale from like 1950 LOL seriously it is old I got it at a second hand store because it looks cool in my bathroom! on both I seem to weigh the same so IDK which is really better, I do make sure both are calibrated/balanced every once in a while though.
January 24th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hmmmm....I don't know how to calibrate the new digital one - I will have to look in the manual lol! I just took it straight out of the box and started using it - maybe that is why they are off? I will go check later

Josh and Kim - proud parents to Byron, Elijah, Abigail, Connor, Kara, and Baby
January 24th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I would definitely go with the digital. Whichever you use you will notice the weight loss, but I find the digitals are more accurate & lol for me they are so much easier to read (bad eyesight)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search