Babysitting question...

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
MIL keeps Mason and my dd while I go to school. Right now I drop them off at 7 am and I'm back to get them by 12 noon. It's only 2 days a week.

She said she'd do it for free but I really appreciate her being able to do it and I feel like I should be paying her something, but what? She takes excellent care of them and they get better care with her than they would get anywhere else.

In my area daycare isn't as expensive as what some of you probably pay. It's $80 a week for a Baby and $55 for a 4 year old. So what do you think is a reasonable fee for 10 hours a week for both of them?

January 25th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What about bringing her lunch or something instead of paying her? If she says she wants to do it for free would she get upset if you tried to pay her?

January 25th, 2011, 12:10 PM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
I was going to suggest the same thing as Shelley. Or is there something you could get her as a present? Does she love her Starbucks or really like a TV show? I just know that my mom wouldn't accept money from me in almost any situation, but she loves really good toffee, cotton candy, lunch, Vera Bradley bags, etc.
Caroline - November '12

January 25th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom watches my boys while I work at a home office for my dad and I'll get her flowers or special desserts every now and then. If she's like my mom at all, she would rather just have something that indicates you appreciate what she does, rather than getting monetary compensation.

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

January 25th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the others about a gift - that would be nice. But I had to comment at how cheap your daycare is! 80 bucks - wow! I pay 150 a week for full time, and it is way lower than normal because I use an in-home day care. Commercial day care for an infant runs 250 a week here.

January 25th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the others than some sort of gift would probably be nice. But wow $80/ week for a baby in daycare is insane!! I was paying almost $300 a week...which is why I am now not working!
January 27th, 2011, 06:16 AM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also agree with Shelly. What about just doing nice things from her from time to time. Like maybe paying for MerryMaids or something to come in once a month to do some of the deeper cleaning so she won't have to worry about that...or taking her to lunch now and then...something like that. She may not feel right taking your money but maybe she'd appreciate some of the other little things?

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
January 27th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittynoah View Post
I agree with the others about a gift - that would be nice. But I had to comment at how cheap your daycare is! 80 bucks - wow! I pay 150 a week for full time, and it is way lower than normal because I use an in-home day care. Commercial day care for an infant runs 250 a week here.
I know and that is commercial rates! It's cheap here but then again our wages are probably lower than most also. My area doesn't have a whole lot of good paying jobs.

Anyway, The reason I asked about money is she used to keep my ds while I worked and I paid her. She's keeping my 2 nieces while my SIL works and she pays her.
Apparently though MIL thinks what I'm doing is really important and that's why she doesn't want me to pay her.

However her and FIL really NEED a new TV. The one she wants is only $350, which isn't bad for a tv. Dh and I think we may just get that for them for now. I mean they would definitely appreciate that and if I were having to pay for child care it wouldn't take long to add up to $350 right?

What do you ladies think?

January 27th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think that's a great idea. It's probably something they wouldn't go right out and buy for themselves, and even if they would...now they wouldn't have to And you're just showing her you appreciate her without "paying" her.

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search