Opinions on antibiotics?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2011, 07:34 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The doctor said Camden has an ear infection and gave us some antibiotics. I've heard they're not good to give babies (or anyone) unless absolutely necessary. She said they don't give them immediately if it's only a mild case but other than that they always do. I guess he has a moderate case. I dislike giving him medicine unless necessary but he seems to be feeling better since taking them.

Opinions on this?

January 25th, 2011, 07:40 PM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If my kids are sick enough to go to the dr then I give them the antibiotic. If Kinley has a fever she will get Tylenol/Motrin. Karsyn hasn't really been sick yet so she's only had Tylenol a few times for fevers for teething/shots/etc. That's what we do you do what you feel best!

January 25th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If he has an ear infections I say definitely give him the antibiotics. Ear infections are horrible and I'm not sure if they can just get better on their own. I had the worst one last winter when I was pregnant...and I didn't want to take any drugs so it got super bad before I finally started antibiotics...even then the first round didn't work...I was on so many different drops and stuff and I literally just wanted to cry because it hurt so bad! I think in this case antibiotics are okay...if they wanted to give them too him for cold like symptoms or something, then I'd probably question it more. JMO
January 25th, 2011, 07:44 PM
AlexasMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AlexasMomma
Alexa has taken A LOT of antibiotics since she was born because she has had MRSA about 4 or 5 times and that is the only way to get rid of it and it can be deadly so I give it to her I hate that she has to take so much though (8ml a day for 10 days) but if she is sick enough to go to the doctor then yeah I would give her the antibiotics because I feel if its that bad she probably needs them hope he gets better soon

Thanks ashypoo03 for my gorgeous siggy!!

January 25th, 2011, 08:23 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
We've had more antibiotics in this house in the last 3 weeks than we EVER have. And all for ear infections. I made it 3 years into motherhood before dealing with one! Kolbie had a slight one and after 1 day on meds the snot stopped pouring from her nose. Kaija's been on them now for 2 days and is 1000% better. So I'd say take them.

But I do know that some people just aren't comfortable giving antibiotics for every little thing. And I do know there are some natural remedies for ear infections. I have 1 friend who uses garlic oil. That's not really for me though. Fortunately we rarely get sick (just unlucky this year I guess) so I'm not too stressed about building tolerances to the antibiotics.
January 25th, 2011, 09:28 PM
AlexasMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AlexasMomma
i would also say with givin antibiotics to also give them like yogurt cause antibiotics (lots of them) can cause a UTI and other stuff

Thanks ashypoo03 for my gorgeous siggy!!

January 26th, 2011, 04:00 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, if it was just a cold or cough - I'd skip them. Most colds are viral and antibiotics won't help. But for ear infections - I would do it. I have upper level hearing loss from chronic ear infections as a child. I still get them. the only thing that gets them to go away is the antibiotics.

Jed has had two ear infections and I gave the antibiotics both times.

January 26th, 2011, 04:14 AM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At the dr's yesterday we found out that both ears for Kerrington are bad and they gave her antibiotics. NO she also has something else but the antibiotics wont help that and we are giving them to her. This is her first time on them and I didn't hesitate a second. WE also have her on Acidophilus. It's the same thing found in yogurt but you can get it in the capsules at most pharmacy and I think health food stores. It will help with the diarrhea from the antibiotics.

January 26th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well if he's sick enough for the doc to prescribe them then I'd use them. If you've already started them DON'T stop them until they are finished. Stopping them can be worse than not using them at all.

I always use antibiotics with ear infections.

January 26th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Shantastic27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto the other ladies! Antibiotics definitely have a purpose, but I'm with you...I'm leary about overuse. I agree that ear infections are such a miserable condition that they are necessary if they're prescribing them. This will be something that you'll have to feel your new doc out for too...my doctor is conservative with prescribing, so I trust that if he is prescribing something, it's necessary.

January 26th, 2011, 06:24 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I think they are way over prescribed and only use them if there is no way we can avoid them.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
January 26th, 2011, 06:25 AM
J-V221's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When it comes to ear infections, thats nothing to mess with. I would hate for my child to loose hearing because of it. Addisyn had an ear infection and I was given anibiotics since it was a double infection and I used it all. When it comes to a cold, then no I don't.
January 26th, 2011, 07:49 AM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
I think they are way over prescribed and only use them if there is no way we can avoid them.
Same here.

January 26th, 2011, 08:01 AM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't like using antibiotics either, but I think that for an ear infection, I probably would. They wipe out all of the good bacteria in your system, as well, so to counter that, you could take probiotics and Camden would get them through your breastmilk. I take double the amount recommended on the bottle and there is no risk of overdose... whatever you don't need just passes as waste.

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
January 26th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
I don't want to start Jamie off on the wrong track by over-medicating him but like many of the others said - if his ears (or whatever else) are bad enough for the doctor to write a prescription, I'm giving it to him. Ear infections can be so painful and Jamie was miserable last time, even with the antibiotics. Plus I really like and respect our particular pedi and trust his judgment.

Antibiotics aren't "bad for you" per se, the issue is that they're waaaaay over-prescribed so over time they can become less effective and antibiotic-resistant strains of illnesses develop. But they do exist for a reason as long as they're not abused.

BTW - someone asked if ear infections can clear without them - yes, they can, although it depends how bad the infection is.

January 26th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Super Mommy
I've found that most doctors will prescribe antibiotics more often than not, whether the issue is viral or bacterial. So I don't necessarily go by "if it's bad enough for a doctor to write a prescription". Quinnlyn has never been sick before so I've been fortunate to avoid it so far, but when ds was a baby he got the usual colds sometimes accompanied by ear infections and often got prescriptions that I rarely needed to have filled. I will give antibiotics if I'm absolutely sure it's bacterial and nothing else will help, but not before that.
January 26th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
You can try an onion, water and vinegar combination and once his infection clears up you could try and use a neti pot with him every night to get rid of any gunk in his sinus cavity.

I hope he feels better soon hun!! Go with your instincts on this one. I would personally give the antibiotics just b/c ear infections are nasty but I also don't like to mess with a lot of meds and drugs.

January 26th, 2011, 11:40 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the input. I'll definitely make sure to ask the new doc about his opinion on this as well. I have been giving Cam infant probiotics lately which i heard is good to give while they're on antibiotics.

January 26th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post

Same here. Current research shows that over 80% of ear infections will clear up fine without antibiotic treatment within a few days. If they're not improving then I'd start antibiotics though, but I'd insist on the least powerful ones, which usually require giving a dose multiple times a day for a week or so. The more powerful ones (usually a once daily dose for just a few days/5 days) can lead to resistance to antibiotics later on if they're used too much.

January 27th, 2011, 06:10 AM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First off, I totally agree that they are over prescribed and over used.
For me, I don't take my kids in to the doctor unless they are pretty sick. So I feel like by the time I take them in, I've already given things a chance to clear on their own. So by the time I go (meaning the fever has lasted a few days) if they still need one then I use it.
I took Mia to the doc yesterday (Wednesday) for a fever she had since Sat morning. She had a double ear infection that was pretty bad so I got the antibiotics. If her fever had passed in just a couple days I woudln't have even taken her to the doc...or if I'd gotten there and she had say...the flu and her ears just looked a little pink then I'd have waited to see if they cleared first...

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search