Car seat question...again

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 27th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
I'm sorry. I know this topic has been discussed before but there was only so much I could absorb at the time. What decision have you reached about a new car seat? For those who have made the switch, which one did you choose and are you happy? Also can someone remind me - I know they have to be rear facing until 1 year but then what? Do you turn them around at 1 or do you keep them backwards as long as possible? If its the second scenario, when do you turn them? When their legs are too long? Jamie's infant seat is good up to 30lbs/30 inches and you guessed it - even though he is only 19lbs he is 28.5 inches. Time to start shopping!

January 27th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to SailorsWife
I know I'm probably going to be chased off the board for this but we switched Rilynn into her new big girl car seat last week. We got the Graco Nautilus and it's forward facing only. It's good from 20-100 lbs and transitions from a convertible with a 5 point harness, to a booster with the hooks to hold the shoulder and lap belt in place, to a bottom only booster seat. I LOVE it and Rilynn is SO much happier in the car now that she has more room and can see what's going on. We have always had her in the middle seat in the back so she couldn't ever see out the windows. Now she's still in the middle but she can see right between the driver and passenger seats and all she does is talk to me the whole time we're in the car now. lol. I decided to go with this seat because it's reclinable, has a cup holder, is easy to adjust for size, is so versatile, has great padding, and it doesn't break the bank. I know you can get seats that do/have the same things but are rear facing, but I didn't like anything I found and that was under $280. I know you're not supposed to turn them around until at least a year, but this is what works for us, so hopefully I won't get struck down by JM April 10 DDC lightning.

Forever Missing Our 4 Angel Babies... Forever Missed, Always Loved
January 27th, 2011, 01:08 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I chose the Graco My Ride 65. I think it RF to 40 pounds? And of course can go FF with a 5 point harness until 65 pounds. The new recommendation from the American Academy of Pediatrics is to stay RF until 30 pounds or 2 years. The heads of children 2 and under are still too heavy for their spinal cord to accommodate the stretch if they were to be in a crash while FF. You run the risk of paralysis or death. In a RF carseat, the seat stops the forward momentum of their heads so there is less stress on the spinal cord.

Courtney- does Rilynn still fit in her infant seat? I know it's exciting and fun when they get to see what's in front of them instead of the back of the seat but it really is safer for her to be RF for now. Most state laws require to be 20 lbs and 1 year before turning. Totally not trying offend you, so i hope you won't take this the wrong way!
January 27th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We will be doing extended rear facing as it is ILLEGAL here to turn before 1 and 20lbs... and i dont know if he's officially 20lbs yet. We switched him right before his birthday to his big boy seat which is a Safety First Complete Air 65. Rear faces to 40lbs and ff to 65 lbs. I would like to keep as safe as possible and extended rear facing is where its at! This seat is also awesome as it has one of the highest shell heights so taller babies wont grow out of it by height before they do weight. We picked it over the my ride 65 for that reason and that it installs much more upright then that seat

Last edited by Sam914; January 27th, 2011 at 01:24 PM.
January 27th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Courtney- (haha it feels weird writing that to someone else =p) She still fits but just barely. It says the seat goes to 22 lbs and 29", and she's only about 19 lbs, but she just doesn't seem to fit in there right anymore and she's horribly uncomfortable. Cali laws are 20 lbs & 1 year, but there was no way we were going to get 2 more months out of the infant seat and to be honest, I didn't realize the seat I bought was only forward facing until after I bought it and I like it so we decided to just make it work. No offense taken =)

January 27th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry i dont mean to flame you but i just dont agree with her being FF of course shes your baby but i would be so worried about her... there are ALOT of great, affordable seats for less then 280 dollars that will fit her needs until shes like 5 without being forward facing right now.

I guess i'll shut up, its your decision but it just worries me

January 27th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No worries Sam. I did put a lot of thought into it before I decided to keep the seat and not take it back. I understand the concern and I'm sure you're not the only one, in fact I'm sure I'll get slammed pretty hard by some of the other girls on here who are quite opinionated (but I still love you all =) ). Like I said, we made the decision we felt was best for us, and that's what we're sticking to.

January 27th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm honestly just really confused about why you wouldnt want to keep your daughter as safe as possible... if you're in an accident her little neck is going to snap. Not even taking into consideration that extended rear facing is 500% safer, but shes not even at THAT point... But, okay

January 27th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Courtney, I'm not going to flame you majorly, but I have to agree with Sam and I'm really against your decision to turn Rilynn FF already. There are seats that are well-made for under $40 that you could get for the next few months that would keep her a lot safer.

I'm in California and the law is at least 20lbs and one year. If you FF before then it's illegal and you can be fined and charged with child endangerment, etc depending on the circumstances. The AAP currently recommends RF until at least 2, or until your child reaches the weight limit on their seat if it is higher than what they are at age 2.

Violet is currently RF in a Britax Boulevard CS that is Lily's old seat. It RF until 35lbs and then FF to 65lbs (it's the older version, the new one has slightly higher limits). She'll be RF until at least 35lbs.

Lily is still RF and she's almost 2.5 years old. She's about 31lbs and 36" and rides in a Radian XTSL, which RF up to 45lbs and FF up to 80 (i think it's 80). Her legs fit fine, and honestly I'd prefer snapped legs to a snapped neck from turning her too soon. My mom was an emergency room doctor for years and she saw multiple neck injuries in babies that were forward facing, or not properly put into their car seat. But she only ever saw one leg injury from rear facing and that was due to the child's car seat not being installed correctly and it flew out of the car.

January 27th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jed is out of the infant carrier and in an Evenflo Triumph 65. We love it! The shoulder straps adjust quickly and to tighten the straps you turn a knob on the side. I think it rear faces until 40 lbs? And forward until 65. We actually have one in my car and DH's car. I think it was around 130 dollars? But I had a coupon and it was on sale. BRU is about to do their trade in event...

January 27th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
I'm going to check the ones you guys have mentioned next time I shop. It helps so much to have suggestions to start with as there are so many options. Anyone else replying please don't forget to tell me WHY you chose/like yours.

Laura - $130 sounds right up my alley if its just as good as the others and easy to use/adjust :-) I asked my SIL and she said "don't pay too much - they always end up beat up, spilled on and pooped on so many times that you'll have to replace it before they outgrow it anyway". LOL

January 27th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think I forgot to say why I picked the Britax and Radian. I picked the Britax initially for Lily because of the ease of install, padding, and you raise the harness by turning knobs, you don't have to unthread the straps for the Boulevard. Plus, it has a high RF and FF limit. I put Violet into it for now and Lily's in the Radian because she's taller and the Radian has a higher shell for extended rear facing. It has some of the highest weight limits on the market and it is steel framed. Both seats are a bit pricey though.

January 27th, 2011, 03:15 PM
AK Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
William outgrew his infant seat months ago. He is still in a RF seat but he hates it. He cannot stretch his legs out even a little bit. He cries every time he is in his. I cannot wait until we turn him around. He weighs 30 lbs but he has two more months until he is 1. I understand both sides. There are many days I would love to turn him around just so he will not be so unhappy but driving on ice in Alaska makes it too much of a risk. I will turn him around on his birthday though. I have started to do it so many times but changing around a car seat when it is -45 outside has changed my mind.

I am glad all of you are so willing to listen to others opinions knowing you do not have to agree but you do not have argue either.

It is very refreshing!

January 27th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Grey is in Britax Marathons rear facing and has been since 5 months. He will remain that way until he reaches the limits for rear facing.

I'll be another to chime in on the babies not being ready to turn forward facing yet. Besides the fact that it is illegal, it is incredibly unsafe. You run the risk of her neck snapping in a collision. Not to be rude, but I don't see how any amount of money could be worth risking that. There are plenty of children over 20 lbs and 1 year who have been seriously injured or killed in car accidents while forward facing. I don't generally like to question anyone's parenting choices, but this one I can't not chime in on.

Last edited by Katie81; January 27th, 2011 at 04:02 PM.
January 27th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Bosley,

This is what we have Triumph? 65 LX Convertible Car Seat, Oh

Amazon.com: Evenflo Triumph 65 LX Convertible Car Seat, Santee: Baby

But don't follow the link to BRU - it links to the older model that doesn't go to 65 pounds. I would get it from amazon or go to the BRU to get teh 65 XL model. You probably can find it in a different pattern in the 65 model. I used a 5 dollar coupon from evenflo.com and then a 20% BRU coupon and saved a ton. I think I bought during a car seat sale too...

Last edited by Kittynoah; January 27th, 2011 at 05:23 PM.
January 27th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Just adding the link to the one we have
Safety 1st | Complete Air? 65

We have the blue and black one

January 27th, 2011, 05:46 PM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
We have this car seat for both kiddos. Lauren is still in the infant seat and will be rear facing FOREVER it seems like. She might not be 20 pounds til she's 2 at this rate.

But, that seat, the First Years True Fit is on sale right now for $129 and we love love it plus if you do Amazon mom, you get the shipping for free. I'm tempted to get a couple more at that price.
Caroline - November '12

January 27th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Super Mommy
Quinn is in the Evenflo Tribute V. It was around $50. We like it for an inexpensive seat. She's pretty happy because she sits up higher. I'll keep her rear facing for as long as possible.
January 27th, 2011, 06:19 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I forgot to say why we got ours. It's easy to install and pretty easy to get her in. I loved the high weight limits for a reasonable price. And yes i admit I got it because it was cute. We have a slightly older version of the Evenflo seat that Laura has for Lily. That is a great seat as well. No complaints on either one.
January 27th, 2011, 06:28 PM
We are using the evenflo triumph - it was recommended by consumer reports as both safe and a good buy. I got it on diapers.com for about $110 - they were having a carseat sale. Looks like it's regularly $135 with free shipping!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search