I just need to whine

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 28th, 2011, 04:16 AM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
I hate being pre-diabetic!!!!

It's bad enough I don't cook--but all the foods I should be eating to control my sugars I have to make food--I can't just pop a bagel in the toaster or eat a bowl of cereal. And right now in my pregnancy, I am dealing with craving sugar all the time and also having a sour stomach when I think of having to eat protein first thing in the morning.

Plus, do you know how hard it is to make eggs as soon as I get up (b/c seriously, the longer I wait to eat, the worse I get) and without fail, Aly wakes up as soon as I do..I can't even sneak downstairs to pour a cup of coffee.

I really want to control my sugars before I have full blown type 2 diabeties but it's so hard. I could look into a nutrionist but I'm not sure if insurance pays for it--we have a PPO plan so if it DOES pay for it, I think our plan would cover it.

But, I just wish there were INSTANT foods for diabetic people--mainly first thing in the morning..or late at night when I wake up and am shaking b/c I'm so hungry--which usually is when I'm pregnant.

Do you know what I do b/c my sugar gets so low that I start to feel dizzy--I drink juice...juice is horrible--for anyone but VERY bad for people with sugar problems. Of course it spikes my sugars almost immediatly, but then I'm a mess all day.

I've posted about this a ton of times--I just need to whine..it sucks.

I just read that I can't be eating instant oatmeal either--I know I can only eat regular oatmeal and I can sprinkle a LITTLE bit of brown sugar or some fresh fruit, not any of that fake flavoring--but I always thought instant reg. oatmeal was fine--but I read somewhere that it's not...well, again, it takes time to make reg. oatmeal..you have to boil water and wait for it and then cook it...meanwhile, I am so shakey I see spots and my heart is racing.

I wish I knew what to do for those moments first thing in the morning.

No sugar, no high carbohydrates, no juice and be careful with fruit. What am I suppose to eat then?

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read that type 2 skips...so my maternal grandmother has it...my mom doesn't...I have it (pre now, will be diag. type 2 when I'm older..unless I can stop it in it's track)....so that means that Aly won't have it...but Adddison will

That makes me really sad

January 28th, 2011, 04:42 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry hun. It can be hard to find healthy foods that are fast. Could you cook up a bunch of grilled chicken so you can nuke that first thing in the morning? It is protein - so it should be good. How about making a smoothie? I use to slice bananas and freeze the slices in a ziplock. I through those with some skim milk and some peanut butter in the blender for a good morning smoothie. Maybe you could make the smoothie and freeze it and then microwave just enough that it is slushy?

And I think it would skip both Aly and Addison and hit their kids...if it does skip like you said.

Good luck!

ETA: What about hard boiled eggs? Then you don't have to wait for the egg to cook in the morning...you can just grab it and go! Just keep a stash in your fridge.

January 28th, 2011, 05:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Popping over from May, I had gd w/ my last 2 pregnancies. You can do string cheese in the middle of the night, and as crazy as it sounds 1/2 cup of vanilla ice cream (w/ nothing on it) helped to control my morning #'s. You can have carbs, I would suggest seeing the nutrinist I had to $100 out of pocket my insurance didn't cover it, but there is a ton you can eat and they tell you how many carbs to d for each meal & snack. My breakfast everyday was peanut butter toast and cottage cheese. They even let me have some sweets at times. In the morning if youy want something else just try eating a bit of cheese or egg and then making your breakfast later. G/l I knowhow hard it is to deal w/ when your pregnant!

January 28th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd see the nutritionist if I were you. I know dh's aunt has diabetes and hers is diet controlled. I do see her eating small amounts of things like whole wheat pasta and wheat bread with sugar free jam/jelly.

She gets a certain amount of carbs per meal but I'm not sure how many it is.

Also if you like steel cut oats you can actually make 5 days worth of them in a crockpot and then reheat it every morning.

January 28th, 2011, 08:32 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I'm not expert and I've never had to deal with this, but isn't there a brand of snacks called Glucerna or something for diabetics? Yeah... Helping People With Diabetes Find Balance - Glucerna Can you get some of those drink or snacks to grab quick in the morning? Would that make a difference? Like I said, I have no idea, just trying to throw ideas out there.

I agree about trying to see a nutritionist. If only just once to see what you can and can't eat.

As far as skipping generations, both Aly and Addison will be okay. Their kids will be at risk. And that's interesting to know. My grandpa was diabetic but I've never been too worried about it. Maybe I should get checked out...
January 28th, 2011, 10:52 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'd also see a nutritionist. And just to let you know, I make my old fashioned oats in the microwave no problem.
January 28th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My mom is a physician and both my grandmother have diabetes. She has always said (and every doc I've spoken with) that each person you are immediately related to (grandparent/parent/sibling) that has diabetes increases your risk factor. So it doesn't necessarily skip a generation at all.

DH's mom is diabetic as well so that is one major reason I really monitor what Lily/Violet eat and super limit processed foods, etc. They have 2 great-grandmothers with it, plus one grandmother already.

I would definitely see a nutritionist if you can, they can be really helpful. There are many steel cut oatmeals that are pure and can be made in the microwave, as well as on the stove top now. I know Trader Joe's sells one and they also sell frozen steel cut oatmeal that you can heat up.

Do you know your sugar levels? I actually have lower sugar and am not anywhere near being pre-diabetic, however, my sister is right on the border of pre-diabetic/diabetic. Also, while your risk is higher since diabetes runs in the family it doesn't necessarily mean you're destined to get it.

January 28th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Thanks girls and Thanks Cindy!

I typed this post at 6 this morning...and I actually red my "old fashioned oatmeal" box and it said I can microwave--which I did and that was easy.

LOL, Mylene we think alike b/c I also went to the grocery store this morning and bought Glucera snacks on the go--hopefully that helps.

I just need to get into the habit of making eggs in the morning and turkey sausage. The last thing I want to do is smell cooked food--I'm a yogurt and cereal girl--well, I was.

And you bet your sweet a.$.@. I am going to watch everyone's foods--it starts at home--I will do whatever it takes to not be like my great-grandmother, grandmother and aunt!

I even bought seltzer and fresh lemons to make somewhat of a spritzer for the morning...it's hard only being able to really drink water, you know? Well, at least first thing in the morning...I need something sweet but that's outta the question. Juice is the devil.

thanks guys.

January 28th, 2011, 07:34 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry Kristin. I wish I had something good to say, or some helpful adivce, but I don't. Just wanted to tell you to feel free to vent any time. I empathize with you totally!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
January 29th, 2011, 02:56 PM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kristin, I had GD when I was pregnant and I needed a lot of protein. I made egg sandwhiches in advance. Just cook up a bunch of eggs and I did english muffin, egg, cheese, and canadian bacon (or ham/sausage) whatever you like, and then I froze them. Take one out in the morning and microwave it and you're good.
Also string cheese, peanuts, PB&J (sugar free) is easy. Salads, throw some chicken breasts on them.
I also love juice and it was so hard to cut it out, so I did crystal lite so I wasn't only drinking water.
Hang in there, soon enough you can go back to having the things you like!Hope this helps!

[IMG][/IMG]

January 29th, 2011, 08:26 PM
k8liz311's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My mother has diabetes and she sees a nutritionist. she sticks to whole wheat carbs, swears by Dream fields pasta and buckwheat for pancakes/pizza crust etc.
I'll ask her if she has any tricks or quick tips but she really has it under control.
Have you been diagnosed with it or do you just watch it since it runs in your family? It definitely runs in mine..
just wondering.

January 30th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia and they told me that my chances of getting diabetes is high b/c right now my pancreas is working in overtime and eventually it will burn out and that's when I will become diabetic.

After hunhun2 arrives I am going to get tested again.

I will have to try the egg sammy...but how do I freeze it? In a ziplock bag?

January 30th, 2011, 07:43 PM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wrap them individually in foil and then put them all in a freezer zip lock bag.

[IMG][/IMG]

January 31st, 2011, 10:08 PM
Tiny Loves
I can't imagine! Being hypoglycemic you definitely shouldn't be limiting your sugar too much. Or your carbs. Try peanut butter with toast or oatmeal with a banana. If you eat a fruit (sugarcarb) with a protein it won't spike your glucose level and it'll keep it level longer! Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search