Sleeping with a blanket?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 28th, 2011, 05:51 AM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am a nervous person by nature so I have always been nervous about this. Chase sleeps with a blanket during naps since we have our video monitor, but not at night time. Lately if he wakes up at night he is comforted by a blanket on him. I will put it on till he falls asleep and then take it off. He does sleep with a little lovey though.

At his 9 month appt I asked his pedi when a blanket at night was safe and she said, as long as it's not too big for him to get lost in it should be ok now. So I held up his car seat blanket and asked her if it was ok (one of the ones that's velour on one side and silky on the other with the silky edging) and she said it should be fine. Well then I googled this same thing at home as I was still unsure, and I read that the AAP says not till 1 year, and if you do chose a blanket it should be 100% cotton as that is breathable. So now I am wondering why my pedi said it's ok? He has been sleeping with a cotton swaddle blanket from when he was a newborn. It's small enough and kind of woven so it has liitle holes. I still don't like giving him this at bedtime-and I don't, but I can tell he loves blankets and if he ever wakes up and I put a blankie on him he curls right up. He loves them!

Does your LO sleep with a blanket yet? When will you allow them to if not?

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

Last edited by ChrissySTL; January 28th, 2011 at 05:55 AM.
January 28th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
Peyton has always slept with a blanket. I can't imagine just laying her down without one. I know if I didn't have one I would be cold and not comfortable enough to sleep. But I know its everybody's own decision and that there are pros and cons. Since our babies are 9 months old and they are able to pick things up and move them its going to be extremely rare that if the blanket gets over their face they wont be able to get it off. Most nights peyton sleeps with her favorite blankie which is a small one That is crocheted so it has holes all over it. I will go try to take a pic of her blanket.

But I would let him sleep with a small one and since you are really nervous about it use a crocheted one!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
January 28th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jed sleeps with a fleece blanket. Sometimes two! He will not sleep without it. He grabs it and squeezes it and falls asleep. It made me really nervous at first, but now that he can move and stand in the crib - I don't worry as much.

January 28th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mason uses a thin lightweight fleece blanket. I'm scared to give him anything too big or too thick/heavy.

January 28th, 2011, 08:20 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Kolbie is wrapped in a velour blanket and usually has a receiving blanket to cuddle with. We started using blankets when it got super cold out. Her room faces south and gets pretty cold at night. The 2 times she's ever had a blanket on her face she has SCREAMED bloody murder in the night. Like screaming like I've never heard before screaming.
January 28th, 2011, 08:29 AM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We always do our own research before going with our pediatrician's advice. She is great, but sometimes she is wrong.

If Logan needs a blanket, we just use a large cotton receiving blanket.

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
January 28th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Meganpixel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we use a blanket here. she sleeps with a lovey near her face and a crocheted one on her body. She is also in a sleepsack. Its cold here at night she does fine with it. The girl like never moves in her crib.
January 28th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
During naps Mikey has a recieving blanket to suck on and a warm blanket t cover himself up with... but he has an Angel care monitor so if anything were to happen i would know. At night time i havent given him a blanket yet, though there is no real reason no too bec/ he obviously hasnt killed himself during naps yet, and again i have the angel care monitor but he has sleep sacks so we just use those at night. He does have a stuffed animal and glow worm in his bed though.

January 28th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
Yup, I'm still too nervous to give Jamie a blanket even though he is completely capable of pulling it off himself. Actually he's so active that I'm not sure a blanket would stay on him for more than a couple of minutes anyway. Yes, I know they are older now but I guess I just keep imagining some weird scenario where he could be in a really deep sleep, mushed into some corner with the blanket mushed in his face or wrapped around his face and sort of slowly suffocate - kind of like how people die from carbon monoxide without realizing its happening. Yes, I know there isn't a connection but I'm just still nervous. There have been a couple of nights when I'm snuggled under my big blanket and I think its mean that he doesn't have one, but he has never seemed to notice or complained about being cold.

I suspect your pedi was just giving her opinion. She may not have known the guidelines or she may have felt that in her opinion there are reasonable exceptions.

BTW - I was the one who posted a while back about using sleep sacks with babies who can stand. I was worried Jamie would fall trying to stand in the crib with it on or would just hate it and complain if he couldn't stand. Just wanted to update that I've used a sleep sack 3 or 4 times with Jamie and he hardly notices. They are long enough that he can stand/move just fine.

January 28th, 2011, 10:42 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
We use a fleece blanket in her crib. It's not too big and I make sure it's at her chest level. She mostly cosleeps at night so she's used to being under a blanket. She stands up when she's done with her nap or ready to come to our bed to eat at night.
January 28th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Violet sleeps with a small lovey, but not a true blanket.

January 28th, 2011, 10:54 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganpixel View Post
we use a blanket here. she sleeps with a lovey near her face and a crocheted one on her body. She is also in a sleepsack. Its cold here at night she does fine with it. The girl like never moves in her crib.
Caleb still sleeps with us at night, and I share my blanket. I keep it pinned under my arm so that he can't pull it up, but he's never tried to pull up blankets during his naps, either, so I don't worry about it, anyway. He's always slept very motionless, which I can say has erased a lot of my worries. This kid just doesn't move. He sleeps like a log! And I also think that they're old enough to pull it away from their faces, but I still wouldn't let him sleep with something big enough for him to get tangled in.

On that note, I don't think I'll ever let him sleep with a blanket that he can get tangled in---at least not until he's like 8 or 9, because my mom learned from experience that you don't have to worry just about babies. When I was 5, I almost died because I somehow got rolled up in my comforter and fell off the bed while I was sleeping, wrapped tightly in the blanket like a mummy. My mom wouldn't have known that anything was wrong except that my cat woke her up by crying, and showed her where I was by pawing at the blankets. The cat saved my life. When my mom pulled the blankets away, my face was blue and I was gasping.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
January 28th, 2011, 12:52 PM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Karsyn has always used the quilt that came with the bedding set. I tuck the ends/sides into the crib and I put the blanket from her waist down. She sleeps on her tummy all night. She will turn her head to one side or the other, but she doesn't wiggle around at all. When she starts to move around is when she gets up and either sits up or pulls up in her crib. I sleep really lightly since having kids, so I can hear when her or Kinley start to wiggle in their beds. She's never had a problem with the blanket.

January 28th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
Aly sleeps with a blanket but we also have the angel care monitor. If we didn't have that, I'm not sure what we would do...prob. sleep sack and crochet blanket.

January 28th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We use a sleep sack and then a little muslin lovey, but she seriously never touches it. I just don't think she's a big blanket fan (I was she was though, she's got a ton and it's so adorable to see babies cuddled up to blankies!), and when we have used one she moves around so much at night it always ends up in the corner or something. I think Ill try again when she's 1
January 29th, 2011, 12:09 AM
ChrissySTL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for all the advice girls! I do have a couple of crocheted blankets so I may bust one o thos out soon if Chase starts waking up in the night again like he was last week. I do feel bad sometimes that he doesnt have a blanket, but I dress him in a onesie, socks, and a fleece sleeper. I figure the fleece sleeper is like his blanket and the long sleeved onesie and socks are like his pajamas. Oh and Krissy-HOW SCARY!!!! Glad you are OK!

Thank you MeganPixel for surprising me with this super cute siggy-you rock!

January 29th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Shantastic27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Livi doesn't sleep with a blanket next to her face, but we cover her up. She also stays pretty motionless while she sleeps! We have a lightweight fleece blanket tucked into the end and sides of her crib. Under this is a crocheted (ie, super holey!) blanket. So we'll pull the holey blanket up to her chest, and then the fleece up to her waist. Since the fleece is tucked in, it holds the other one down. This has worked out really well for us since she doesn't move. She's also used to blankets since we bedshare about half the night. A lot of times she'll kick them off though. She's kind of a sweater. Eeew.

Hope you find something that works!

January 29th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We started putting a blanket on Carter a few weeks ago. I was a nervous wreck at first but he usually just rolls out from under it anyway. I always check on him before we go to bed, plus we have the video monitor.

January 29th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I really think a blankie would help Cohen sleep better, but I'm sooo nervous about putting one in there with him. I didn't think we gave Kellan one until his 1st birthday, but I was looking through some pics and saw him sleeping with one around this age. So, now I'm think I gave him one at nap time while I could check on him...maybe I'll start doing that with Co too.

January 29th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Super Mommy
Quinn sleeps with a couple blankets and a pillow. *ducks*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search