Calories?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2011, 07:10 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
I have no idea how many calories I should be eating. I've only ever kept track through Weight Watchers before, and they take care of everything for you. I didn't want to pay for that, though, so I've been using the Livestrong website. I put in my height and weight and how much I wanted to lose, and it said I should eat 1382 calories/day. I then added on 300 for Max because I'm still BFing 5 or 6 times a day.

Is that too much? 1382, or under 1400, calories just seems impossible to me right now. I think I could probably do closer to 1500, but I'm worried about my milk supply if I limit too much.

Anyone have any advice on this?

P.S. I'm 5'5 and over 160. I know that has some effect on caloric intake.

January 31st, 2011, 07:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm around 1500 a day and it's not affecting my supply and I'm losing 1lb a week.
January 31st, 2011, 07:35 AM
VeronicaBride's Avatar Jen
I am just under 5'6" and started in November at 160. The site I use (loseit.com) said in order to lose a pound a week, I needed my calories to be something like 1550. I didn't factor in the breastfeeding at all, and am just keeping an eye on my supply. So far it has been okay. I think you would be fine to keep your net calories under 1600 or so with your supply if you also drink lots of water. When I say net calories, if you are finding it hard to stay under those calories for the day, then do some exercise and eat back some of the calories you worked off. For example, if you go over and eat 1750 calories one day but exercise and burn off 200 calories, then your net calories are 1550 and you should still be doing okay.

That is what I have been doing. I try to stay under my calorie allowance eating alone but at least half the time I would be over if it weren't for the exercise I am doing. And I am losing more than 1lb a week. Hope that helps!

January 31st, 2011, 10:01 AM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
I try to stay between 1300-1500 and my supply has been fine

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
January 31st, 2011, 03:47 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Ditto what Jen said. I LOVE LoseIT!!! It's awesome. My calorie intake is higher because I'm bigger (1851 cals/day), but I can tell you I almost NEVER eat just that (and you all may think it's a lot, and it is, but I'm fat and I got here by loving food and eating...) but when I work out, I actually have a chance of hitting that mark! SOme days, I only miss it by 50 or 100 cals, and other days, I'm under, so it all balances out.

I don't account for bf, either, because that's a good amount of cals and I haven't seen an issue with my supply.

Maybe try the LoseIt site, Amy. You can be my friend They are awesome about figuring out calories and balancing it with exercise and whatnot.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
January 31st, 2011, 04:17 PM
Ugh! I feel like there is now way I can be under 1600 As hard as I try, even working out as often as I can, I'm having a hard time staying under 1700.

January 31st, 2011, 06:23 PM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
No, don't think that way Amy! There are lots of things you can do.

To lose a pound a week I have to eat 1300 (I am 5'2" and 120). My net calories are always under that. My supply hasn't diminished as long as I am getting at least 72 ounces of water.

Tips: you need to get your metabolism up, so you need to start eating every 3 hours. I drink coffee at 7, breakfast at 9, lunch at 12, snack at 3 and dinner at 6. If I have some calories left, I'll eat a small treat at 9. This lets your body know not to into starvation mode. If you just cut your calories back all of the sudden, your body kinda freaks out and starts hoarding what you do eat as fat. Take a look where you can substitute lower calorie things. I started using fat free cheese only on my sandwiches to save 50 calories. 50 calories doesn't sound like much, but when your only working with 1300, you take it where you can. If you can eat breakfast at home, egg whites are only 14 calories a piece and an excellent source of protien which fills you up. The high fiber bread usually has fewer calories than the plain whole wheat. There is reduced fat laughing cow cheese that is perfect for a snack or on crackers for lunch. It takes some searching at the grocery, but you can do it! Check out the healthy snack thread and the fit momma meals thread. Lots of ideas there.

Also, I totally recommend lose it.com. Just start and see where your trends of eating are. The website is amazing with the data analysis of your eating/exercising. And I agree with Jen. I looooove to eat. I workout so I can eat more. I don't factor in bf'ing, but my supply has been fine.

Lastly , give yourself a cheat day every week or two. Just keep recording!! Still write down everything you eat, but give yourself what you want at least nice every two weeks. This way if you are really craving something, you reward yourself with it at the end of the week.

Hope these things help. You will be able to do this! The first week may be hard because your changing, but remember to eat every three hours and you. Won't get that "I am so hungry I am going to die" feeling.

NAK.

January 31st, 2011, 07:12 PM
Thanks, Amanda!

I feel like I'm eating so healthy, and I'm still struggling. I drink tons of water, and I use metabolic boosting essential oils. I love egg whites, so when I have time, I'll make them. Otherwise, I do yogurt and granola, and usually only use 200 calories for breakfast.

I think my biggest problems are that 1. I love food and 2. I have been struggling to find time to work out. Probably more so the latter. I am good at keeping calories down while still eating yummy food, but I know I need to be working out, too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search