The 90 minute 5K...

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2011, 05:11 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
I restarted running today. I had decided last night I wanted to start running again (I had been running in the fall, but stopped once it got too cold). The weather has been getting warmer, and Max loves it outside, even if it's a bit chilly. I almost didn't go because Max spiked a fever last night and it's been around 100 all day, but I talked to my dad who said to get out since the fresh air would be good for him. (Fresh air is my dad's cure for everything.) I had planned on doing 1.5 or 2 miles, no more than 20 minutes outside. Max woke up from his nap around 5:30, so we left right before 6. I figured there was a good half hour before the sun started to set and almost an hour before it got dark and cold, so I wasn't worried. HA! God was definitely testing my persistence and will power today.

First, my nice quick 2 mile run turned into a 5K when I realized that the sidewalks I had planned on going down were still all icy. I knew a flat, easy 5K route that kept me on main road sidewalks, so I figured that would be quicker, since I assumed the major sidewalks would be clear. I also figured I'd be done with the 5K in 30 minutes, no problem. Ha. I was wrong. The first mile and half went really smoothly. It took about 12 minutes, so I was making great time, especially with the stroller. Then I hit a sidewalk on one of the major roads that was covered with snow and ice. I should have just turned around, but at this point, it looked like it was clear about 400 meters ahead, so I just went for it. It didn't end. It was over half a mile of thick icy snow, and lots of big drifts that I had to carry the stroller over. Finally, I got to a nice clear sidewalk, and figured I was home free. I had about a mile till home, and was picking up the pace because it was getting darker and colder quickly. Then I saw a SUV smash into a deer right next to me, and I started crying, which is really hard when running.

About a half a mile from home, the sidewalk I was on turned into 2 feet of slushy, icy, snowy grossness. It was probably only 50 feet of this, but it was almost impossible to get the stroller though. I considered abandoning the stroller and just carrying Max, but I knew that it would take me 3 times longer to get home if I carried him. Finally, I got out of the snow, and the rest of the path was clear until home. I'm pretty sure I've never ran faster in my life than that last half mile. Thankfully, Max slept almost the whole time, but I still feel like an awful momma for having him out in the cold that long while he's sick poor baby!

And now I am abandoning running and spending all day on my couch eating potato chips and cupcakes

February 28th, 2011, 07:29 PM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
Oh honey!!!!

That sounds like the worst adventure ever!!!! I am so sorry. Next time carry your cell phone and call someone to come pick you up. I am thankful Max slept through it. Don't beat yourself up about him being in cold weather. My best friend's grandma always said, "Cold don't hurt".

February 28th, 2011, 08:39 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
OMG, Amy! YOu are a TROOPER! I would have died at the point of the SUV killing the deer I bet the cool air actually was good for li'l Max. ((HUGS)) What a story!

Our roads are all still decently icy/muddy/slushy, and so I'm guessing it will be about JUNE when we can bring out the stroller for a nice, clean walk.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
February 28th, 2011, 08:41 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Gwynne, I was so mad that I didn't have my cell phone on me I usually carry it with me, but I figured it would be a nice chance to not worry about people calling and just get out. Silly me.

March 1st, 2011, 05:14 AM
~Constance~
(HUGS) That's some bad luck right there. And of course you never have your cell phone when you really need it. Urg.
But you get major FitMama points!
And put down the cupcakes!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search