New here :)

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 3rd, 2011, 12:54 PM
*MomofO&Nat*'s Avatar Kelly, Massachusetts Mama
Hey there Fit Mamas,
I haven't really checked in here yet because I don't really qualify as 'fit' yet. I am working it though. I started running on my new treadmill after Christmas. Well, I started fast walking for 30 minutes on an incline until I felt it wasn't challenging me enough so then I started jogging on and off. I found the couch to 5K program on my Droid phone and started loosely following that. I could run about 5 minutes fast and jog about 10 minutes slow at first before getting sore in my knees. Now, I am up to running 20-30 minutes non-stop and I swear I feel fine at the 30 minute mark (cardio-wise). The problem is not getting winded, it is that my knees are THROBBING and I have to stop for fear of injury. I stretch a ton before starting, also walk the first 5 minutes to warm them up, but it is a constant problem. I even got new running shoes thinking it was the shoes, but nope. Any thoughts? I talked to a runner friend and he told me to stay at 20-25 minutes for a week or two to build up my knee ligament strength, then increase a minute at a time until I can comfortably run a 5K without pain. I am now up to 28-30 minutes without pain from 20 so I guess it is getting better. Anyway, that is my update. I am embarrassed to post here because I know most of you runners do like miles and miles and I am barely doing 2.5 but I have NEVER run before so it is a start. My goal was to run 30 min without stopping and now I am moving my goal to be a 5K since I can do the 30 minutes. I still have about 4 lbs of baby weight left too, so I should start tweaking my diet next I guess. Thanks for reading my rambling.
Natalie Laura (9/14/10)
Harrison Dean (2/22/13)
Proud Member of the September 2010 Playroom

March 3rd, 2011, 01:36 PM
VeronicaBride's Avatar Jen
Welcome! And don't be embarassed at all. Fit Mama's isn't only for runners and it isn't only for people that are already fit. It is for anyone that is fit, wants to get fit, wants to support the other mama's trying to do so etc etc. We all do different things and are just here to support each other.

Sounds like you are doing great though. I wish I could run as much as you. I have a gym membership now (just this week) so hopefully whenever I can get there I can slowly work up to running like you have. That is my goal anyway. I have no advice about the knee pain but maybe Amanda or Jeanine or the runners can help. Sounds like your friends advice is working though and seems logical.

Glad to have you here!!

March 3rd, 2011, 02:30 PM
J9+J+C=Complete's Avatar Charlotte & Jacob's Mommy
Hi ddb I'm so proud of you!!!!!! I'd invest in a good knee brace to keep your patella traveling in a straight line. I love my knee brace. I opted for a level two brace but it's small. I can't stand big bulky braces. Also, knee pain correlates with runnig form and increasing distance too quickly. I screwed my knee up when I did a run that was too many miles for what my body was ready for. Also, find excercises that build the muscles around your knees. That's all I got just know your noT alone on knee pain! It's pretty common for runners to have aches and pains. So worth it for the strength and endorphins glad you are posting on here!!!!
March 3rd, 2011, 03:08 PM
whitehouse's Avatar My name is Kelli :)
Welcome!!!

Please do not be embarrassed! I always run in the summer/fall and when I first start out it is HORRIBLE! I'm not running right now, I am doing 30 Day Shred and Weight Watchers, which is working great for me!
And Jen is right, this forum is for everyone, not just the fit! I am not *fit* yet, but I am slowly working my way towards it! This area is a great way to stay motivated and supported by everyone! I try to check in at least once a day!
So expect us to be nagging you now

.fearfully and wonderfully made.
eli grey // jude lawrence
forever loving Finley
March 3rd, 2011, 03:29 PM
~Constance~
Whaaa???!!! You are incredibly fit, girl!!! I'm really impressed!
Do you need new shoes? Have you tried ice-ing afterward? I'm going to try that as I increase my running time.
I only got up to running 3 minutes at a time(outside) before I stopped in December. My knees hurt a lot with just that. I've read that it can take some runners up to a year for their body to adjust and stop hurting. Supposedly very normal.
March 5th, 2011, 03:41 PM
*MomofO&Nat*'s Avatar Kelly, Massachusetts Mama
Thanks girls! I am excited for warmer weather so I can finally start running outside. I am getting sick of staring at a wall in the basement.
Natalie Laura (9/14/10)
Harrison Dean (2/22/13)
Proud Member of the September 2010 Playroom

March 6th, 2011, 08:40 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Hi, Kelly!!

My knees are shot, too, from basketball, and because of that, I can't run for a while. I'm on the elliptical, though, and in January, I was dying after 15 min., and now, I can do 50!

It's amazing how we're progressing. You are doing fantastic! Certainly you are farther along than many

As for my knees, I do stretches and take glucosamine. It helps a little. I also live on the icy-hot stuff that smells aweful but feels good Rub it on your knees and it may help the stiffness and pain.

You are doing awesome!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search