Bummed....

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2011, 08:35 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
Wellllll it looks like we may not be switching insurance companies, so that means pregnancy won't be covered until NOVEMBER FIRST.....

I CAN NOT wait that long!! I am wanting to get pregnant NOW!
I am super bummed about this and wondering way to get around it.

I'm trying to figure out when the soonest I could get pregnant is and if I could pay for ONE appointment out of pocket

I would LOVE to get pregnant in June and have a late Winter/Spring baby

So here are some questions: When is the latest you would go to the OB after getting a BFP? Would you risk not having coverage or would you wait til you had complete coverage before TTC? How much do you think an out of pocket OB appointment would amount to?

I just want another baby and I would love for Eli and the next one to be between 16-18 months apart.

I sound like such a desperate, whiny baby in this post. So sorry

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
March 7th, 2011, 09:05 PM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aww I know how disheartening that must be for you.

HONESTLY, I would actually go up to about 16 weeks before going to an OB apt if I had to. I mean, you've been through this before and you know what to do and expect. As long as you have your prenatal vits and nothing out of the ordinary is going on I don't see a problem with it, really. Not to mention a lot of OBs don't even do an u/s before the 20 week apt so there isn't really anything they could tell you before then anyways. This is just my opinion, of course.

I hope something works out for you and you can become preggers soon!

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

March 7th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Momma-J's Avatar Teach Empathy!
lol.. sounds like I was! We had to try 6 months to get pg with Hollyn. Lets see... this past go round I had no ins..whoops..so I did not go in till I was 14+ weeks. I just got my prenatals and had no issues. If you are gonna try to get pg you shouls be talking vits and so you will be set in that regards. Really there is not too much they do in the beginning so... As far as your ins goes or how much visits are I have no idea. You could call and ask them. paying out of pocket the price is usually diff. So call your office and ask how much the first few visits would be. Then you will be able to see if you can swing it. Oh no not the swing word again

Blessed Beyond Measure!
Hailey 17, Hollyn 15, Harper 12
Hudson 6, Holden 4 & Haddyn 2
March 7th, 2011, 09:17 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With you being young and healthy and no issues in your prior pregnancy, I would say 3months would be the latest. If you were to go the dr and pay out of pocket, I would estimate about $300, without lab fees. Just remember if their is any type of complication, even minor, that would run you more money. If you had at least 2K saved up somewhere, than that should cover you till ins. kicks in. Will your ins. cover a pre-existing pregnancy? some Ins. company's will not cover after the first trimester if you were not diagnosed prior too. I would definitely ask some questions. Good luck, praying for the best outcome for you!

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

March 7th, 2011, 09:43 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!

I'm sorry! You're not a whiney baby at all! It's so hard when things beyond our control make things more difficult.

I didn't get in with Max until I was close to 18 weeks, because if insurance. I'm not sure I would wait that long again, but I don't think waiting until 16 weeks, like Kat said, would be too bad. Do you know what insurance you would be switching to? Like Jenny said, it might be a good idea to call and just know what you are looking at.

March 8th, 2011, 08:24 AM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A friend of mine didn't go in until 20 weeks because of insurance. Then she found out it was twins. Me, personally, I would wait maybe 12 weeks or so. I would call your obgyn and ask how much it would cost out of pocket. A lot of places will give you discounts if you pay all at once. Also, around here, you can see a family dr for the first 20 weeks and that's usually cheaper than an obgyn also. I say do what you want and make it work.

March 12th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Meggie26's Avatar Megan
Send a message via MSN to Meggie26
I don't think it would be too terribly bad waiting for awhile. You've been through this before, so its not all new to you. As long as you have prenatals and are doing everything right.. I don't think I ever made it to a doctor until I was almost 12 weeks along both of my pregnancies..

Its all in your hands..

I wish you luck!

March 12th, 2011, 11:17 AM
WomanInTheMoon's Avatar Courtney
We have healthcare for pregnant women in this state. They give you a card and you go free to dr's on a list. Can you see if your state provides something like that? You might also have a sliding scale clinic if you look around.

March 12th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof5lopez View Post
Will your ins. cover a pre-existing pregnancy? some Ins. company's will not cover after the first trimester if you were not diagnosed prior too.
I can't remember who told me this, but a friend of a friend was denied coverage for a pregnancy because they got pregnant before the insurance kicked in. I'd definitely be reading all the fine print!

I would wait until 12 weeks or so. I would never TTC without insurance. I have no idea what a visi would cost OOP.
March 12th, 2011, 04:20 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Good thoughts to the new insurance covering a pre-existing condition (including pregnancy)... definitely check in on that, Kelli!

I know most docs will give a really good discount if paying out of pocket. If you need blood work, you can go to Locate a Private MD Online Lab Testing Patient Service Center Near You and get some labs done... you can even order the labs yourself, with no doc! I used them A LOT for my fertility labs because they were cheaper than what my RE was charging. Results are pretty quick (usually within 48 hours), so if you are curious about any labs, you can get them before going to a doc.

With Kensley, we went 10 weeks before getting to my OB because our insurance didn't kick in til then. No sweat.

but... definitely make sure the new insurance would pick up your pregnancy! If it's through a group insurance, most protect employees and don't have insurance with restrictions on pre-existing conditions. We get our insurance through DH's work, and they change insurance like every 2 years, so they have to provide insurance that does not exclude pre-existing conditions. Although, last year's insurance was great with pregnancy, and this new one we have SUCKS Blech.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
March 13th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Thank you girls for all of your thoughts and advice! I completely forgot I posted this here!!!

Here is the full story:
I got pregnant with Eli in my last semester of nursing school. He was a surprise baby and needless to say we were poor without insurance that covered pregnancy.
The first half of my pregnancy we were covered with Medicaid in AR. In fact, I turned 20 weeks on the week I graduated!
After we graduated, DH was still looking for a job so we stayed with my parents while his search continued. It took him 6 weeks to find a job (a MIRACLE in this economy). But that 6 weeks was torture. I had no idea how we were going to have Eli without paying a fortune.
DH's company insurance was full coverage and we were able to enroll in July. So I didn't see an OB from 20 weeks up until 28 weeks, when we became insured. However, his company insurance costs an arm and a leg. CRAZY prices.
In order to save some money after Eli was born we got a new plan that was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper.... but there is a year long period where pregnancy is not covered. So therefore on our new insurance, we would not be covered until November of 2011.
Open enrollment for company insurance begins on July 1st annually though. SO we looked at our budget and opted to wait on getting a car.... we are going to re-enroll with company insurance which covers pregnancy immediately (doesnt matter if it is pre-existing). Although it is more expensive, we both really want another baby.
So it looks like we are back to our original plan of TTC SOOON!!!

I don't know all of the TTC terminology or much about cycles etc. But the plan is to TTC after my next period in April and then (if we get pregnant on the first cycle) have my first OB appointment after we enroll with company insurance.

Once again, thanks for all of your thoughts and advice!! And for letting me whine You're the best!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

March 13th, 2011, 08:46 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!

YAY!!! I'm so glad that you have a plan...it sounds great! I can't wait for your BFP

Just a question, if you are still TTC in July, do you think you would still get the more expensive insurance? Or would you just skip a cycle TTC and then keep what you are on and wait to go to the dr. in Nov?

However, I'm praying and crossing everything that it won't be an issue and you will get your BFP right away!

March 13th, 2011, 09:03 PM
^^ I honestly haven't even thought of that!! I guess I am just assuming I will get preggo right away! After all Eli WAS conceived on BC.....

I guess we will decide if/when the time comes... KWIM? But that is definitely food for thought!

Thanks for the excitement and good luck vibes!! You're the best!!!!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

March 13th, 2011, 09:26 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Oh, you are a fertile myrtle You'll get preggo right away, I bet, and given that you are young and healthy and you had no issues with Eli's pregnancy, you will be juuuuust fine!

Woo hoo! Can't wait to see more BFP's here! You and Kat, I would guess, are next

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
March 19th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok a few things. 1st of all I'm so excited for you to ttc again! The longest I personally would wait to see a dr would probably be 8 weeks bc thats when my dr does the 1st ultrasound to verify a heartbeat and everything. Lastly I hate to be a downer but I'm in the insurance business and some companies won't cover ob appts or delivery if the pregnancy was a "pre existing condition".so I would definitely check into what your soon-to-be insurance companys policy is bc you don't want to go thru all the dr expenses of pregnancy without insurance if you don't have to.
So sorry but I would feel bad not mentioning it. It's a big decision but good luck girl!!!!

Last edited by Memi; March 19th, 2011 at 04:28 PM.
March 19th, 2011, 09:41 PM
VeronicaBride's Avatar Jen
How did I miss this update?

YAY!! So excited for you Kelli!! Can't wait for your BFP!

March 20th, 2011, 06:34 AM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
so excited for you!!!!!!!!!!! nak

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
March 27th, 2011, 06:31 PM
lovely_serendipity's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you do get prego before insurance is covered u can go to the pregnancy resource center in pelham and tell them u want a pregnancy test and they will give u a free one and then set up a FREE ULTRASOUND appointment for u....

At least that way u could see the baby was fine and it may put ur mind at ease till u can get insured and get to the doctor.

They are super nice ladies there and I donate to the center (including some of kyas very good conditions clothes I get rid off...so if eli has some old stuff they would greatly appreciate the donation so they can help mommys in need)...there also doing a walk for life fundraiser here soon

Anywaay the point is they are super nice and they could tell u just as much as a doctor could on ur first fee visits anyway...ill pm u their number if ud like and they aren't far from u at all.

Last edited by lovely_serendipity; March 27th, 2011 at 06:33 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search